Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Cheapish' looking turntables that actually aren't too bad.

G'day all, pretty well all my turntables have been acquired through charity shops and the like and the one that lives 'in here' is a basic Marantz belt drive TT-1200CT that I picked up cheaply from a charity shop and although it looks cheap and 'plasticy', it's actually turned out to be a reliable, well made turntable and capable of very good performance. 

I replaced the supplied entry level AT cartridge with one of my Shure M97xE's which has turned out to be a fine sounding combination!  So although I never expected too much from this turntable it's turned out to be pretty good for making music, so cheap looking isn't necessarily a bad thing!  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman

A Keel would improve it.

G'day mate, sorry is that supposed to be a joke, as I don't get it!?  Regards, Felix. 

Depending on where live I've seen high end tt's thrown out on the nature strip during hard waste collection, seen older Regas, Lencos, Commonwealth, Linn's and the usual Japanese made suspects.

you are right on that Catman!  There are any number of vintage turntables out there either belt drive or direct drive, some fully manual and some semi-auto which with a good cartridge upgrade and placed level on a (really) solid piece of furniture do the trick.  You don't have to spend big $$ to get good quality music out of these.  I have never understood the high prices being pedalled around for some of the more esoteric looking things.

cheers

Uncle Bill

I have a 1980 DD Luxman PD264 that cost me $0, it had no tonearm, Grumpy donated an Acos Lustre.  This has to be the best bang for buck TT ever.

It owes me $10 for a headshell.

At the moment it has Elcamry's DL103 fitted and sound extremely good.

Anyone is welcome to have a listen,

It is in my main system at the moment as my Rock is not fitted with a cartridge, to tell the truth I could live with this.

Edited by Batty

G'day mate, sorry is that supposed to be a joke, as I don't get it!?  Regards, Felix. 

Umm yep, as per Linn upgrades .

A mere $5k++ or so bolt on. :lol:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/69316-discussion-of-all-things-sondekgoodbad-or-ugly/page-4

Edited by joz