2sheds

Tantalising Turntables

10 minutes ago, kryten2001 said:

Sorry mate but that looks revolting.

Beauty is in the "Eyes Of The Owner"

1267793196_GiahyRefred02.jpg.10647ab72aa263fb59bffc939bc6c9da.jpg

GHY_2160.jpg.95e6f7d07c43f6e615f100007aaadae8.jpg

1 minute ago, Hydrology said:

So what make you think the Luxman doesn't have both? Have you heard one?

no i didn't heard one and i shouldnt assume. my mistake.

I always like to read up how it was made and how the tonearm sit and whats the quality of the tonearm.

i also like to know if it flexible in term of changing the tonearm to certain length of if i can add on

the motor of this tt is AC synchronous motor and i cant see what special about it. There is no external power

Posted (edited)

Edited by rantan

I like that St. Patrick's Day Thorens model (green!)

Guest kryten2001
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, audiome said:

no i didn't heard one and i shouldnt assume. my mistake.

I always like to read up how it was made and how the tonearm sit and whats the quality of the tonearm.

i also like to know if it flexible in term of changing the tonearm to certain length of if i can add on

the motor of this tt is AC synchronous motor and i cant see what special about it. There is no external power

You can change the tonearm easily if you like, in fact they  make a model that comes without a tonearm if you want to bolt on your own. 

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=8

Not sure what you meant about 'speed' being an issue. You might want to look into how these things control their speeds (microprocessor controlled with a window stroboscope) before assuming anything there. It's a great table for what they cost.

If you're in the 'lightweight is better' camp though, then this table is not for you. It's a big bertha built specifically to induce hernias.

Edited by kryten2001

17 minutes ago, kryten2001 said:

You can change the tonearm easily if you like, in fact they  make a model that comes without a tonearm if you want to bolt on your own. 

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=8

Not sure what you meant about 'speed' being an issue. You might want to look into how these things control their speeds (microprocessor controlled with a window stroboscope) before assuming anything there. It's a great table for what they cost.

If you're in the 'lightweight is better' camp though, then this table is not for you. It's a big bertha built specifically to induce hernias.

guys please dont get me wrong. I never heard this tt before but what im saying to him is why is it your dream? why wont be it something higher. Sorry if i offended anyone

Guest kryten2001
16 minutes ago, audiome said:

Sorry if i offended anyone

Didn't offend me... Just trying to point out some misconceptions in your assumptions, that's all :)

1 hour ago, kryten2001 said:

Yeah I recently bought one of these, very happy with it. Built like a tank and very reasonably priced for what it is.

What cartridge suits? What cart dou you use with it?

Please, keep the comments coming. Good discussion and I am in the market for new TT under $12,000 with arm. So you are helping me a lot. Aesthetics are important to me. The Luxman looks lux. I really like the led stylus light. I own a Clearaudio innovation wood with very expensive cart (titaniumv2) and I would really appreciate a light like that in the dark after a few Lagavulins! 😁

I’m keen on the Kiseki purple cart - now idea why. I just like wood! Is it too big and heavy for this TT?

Guest kryten2001
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cigar nuke said:

What cartridge suits? What cart dou you use with it?

I mainly use an Ortofon Cadenza Black, but also an Ortofon 2M black when I want something a bit more bombastic. 

Edited by kryten2001

1 minute ago, kryten2001 said:

I mainly use an Ortofon Candenza Black, but also an Ortofon 2M black when I want something a bit more bombastic. 

Really? How often do you change your cart? Or do you have two tonearms.....doesn’t look like this thing takes two tonearms. Isn’t changing carts for certain types of music a pain the buttocks?....

Guest kryten2001
1 minute ago, Cigar nuke said:

Really? How often do you change your cart? Or do you have two tonearms.....doesn’t look like this thing takes two tonearms. Isn’t changing carts for certain types of music a pain the buttocks?....

It's got a screw in headshell so it's very easy, all you need is a spare headshell for each additional cartridge you want to use.

Screw in the headshell, adjust your weights and away you go, takes less than 2 mins.

In my case I need to change inputs on my pre-amp for MM as opposed to MC, but you get the idea.

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

I like that St. Patrick's Day Thorens model (green!)

I think the owner had other ideas!!Photo-Dec-07-12-56-11-PM.thumb.jpg.1a21bda833e54c3c33ef969797c0dc5a.jpg

2 hours ago, kryten2001 said:

Sorry mate but that looks revolting.

Yeah, the gold on red is 'blingy' and fat platters just don't do it for me......I bet it sounds sublime though.👌

Guest kryten2001
1 minute ago, stevoz said:

Yeah, the gold on red is 'blingy' and fat platters just don't do it for me......I bet it sounds sublime though.👌

I'm with you on the anti-monster fat platters. Unfortunately so many of the top end tables have them nowadays. I just don't dig em. They look like cylinders that have grown out of the plinth.

6eefef8a31d194d21ee2ae9e498b5307.jpg.0c226f68d31b25bc7470bf40b42a0be7.jpg

I'm afraid, Dave.