Tantalising Turntables

Mitchell A. Cotter B-1

No longer in production. Indeed only 50 were ever made.

[ATTACH]3296[/ATTACH]

Still used professionally as an audio development tool (tempoelectric and Audiomagic) and two remain in service at the Loft in NYC.

Cheers,

Jake

lt5.jpg

ELP Laser Turntable (Price around $10,000)

Yep, that's right folks, this turntable uses a laser (5 actually), not a needle, to read your vinyl records without any wear and tear. And sorry Drizt, this is still an analogue device :eek:

cheers

2sheds

1.jpg

22716-3.jpg

32.jpg

Rij1foto1.jpg

28.jpg

EMT 930ST (Discontinued)

Now this is what I call a REAL turntable :eek: None of your arty farty acrylic and rubber bands here This is a masterpiece of German engineering. These rarely appear for auction, though they are still plentiful. You can easily spend $15,000 on a refurbished model.:D And that's without the highly sought after valve phone preamp seen here. If anyone sees one let me know. Ohh, and give me some forewarning as it might take a few days to sell my mother on eBay....:eek:

cheers

2sheds

Mitchell A. Cotter B-1

No longer in production. Indeed only 50 were ever made.

[ATTACH]3296[/ATTACH]

Still used professionally as an audio development tool (tempoelectric and Audiomagic) and two remain in service at the Loft in NYC.

Cheers,

Jake

Morning Jake,

Hey, he's the bloke who designed the original AR turntable. :eek: Interesting looking design,

cheers

2sheds

Morning Jake,

Hey, he's the bloke who designed the original AR turntable. :eek: Interesting looking design,

cheers

2sheds

morning 2 sheds,

ed villchur designed the ar tt,mitchell cotter solved the problems associated with using a delrin bearing housing and the fact that they would sieze the bearing after a period of time.cotter's main claim to fame was the plinth for the technics diredt drive tt and the blue cotter stepup unit,both still highly collectable.

regards,guru.

22716-3.jpg

EMT 930ST (Discontinued)

Now this is what I call a REAL turntable :eek: None of your arty farty acrylic and rubber bands here This is a masterpiece of German engineering. These rarely appear for auction, though they are still plentiful. You can easily spend $15,000 on a refurbished model.:D And that's without the highly sought after valve phone preamp seen here. If anyone sees one let me know. Ohh, and give me some forewarning as it might take a few days to sell my mother on eBay....:eek:

cheers

2sheds

Here's an interesting thread pitching a tweaked EMT 930ST against a great modern belt drive TT.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10864&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=acustic

album_pic.php?pic_id=5196

lt5.jpg

Yep, that's right folks, this turntable uses a laser (5 actually), not a needle, to read your vinyl records without any wear and tear. And sorry Drizt, this is still an analogue device :eek:

cheers

2sheds

Don't ask me why - but this one makes sense to me.

Bring it on, Sanju Chiba-san.

NFA

morning 2 sheds,

ed villchur designed the ar tt,mitchell cotter solved the problems associated with using a delrin bearing housing and the fact that they would sieze the bearing after a period of time.cotter's main claim to fame was the plinth for the technics diredt drive tt and the blue cotter stepup unit,both still highly collectable.

regards,guru.

'Morning Guru,

Thanks for that. Yes, how could I forget Ed Villchur? I knew Cotter was involved in some way with the turntable, but short changed poor Ed :eek: Should have known better as it was my first real turntable

cheers

2sheds

Don't ask me why - but this one makes sense to me.

Bring it on, Sanju Chiba-san.

NFA

NFA,

Half way house, eh? Hah, go the whole hog and get a real record player :eek:

The Blaupunkt makes sense to me :D

cheers

2sheds

1.jpg

EMT 930ST (Discontinued)

cheers

2sheds

here ya go tin dwelling

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMT-930-st-139-st-b-tube-amp-EMT-929-EMT-TSD-15_W0QQitemZ180264148091QQihZ008QQcategoryZ75774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers

2sheds

So Sheds - serious query - is the call on if something is digi or analogue is simply based on the source material?

love the EMT its fantastico.

How about some classic Juke Box pictures - when do they get a look in!

and while I think of it any up-market portables or record ghetto blasters can get a couple of hours of your reseacrh attention?

I know I know I am being lazy but you do such a great job

cheers

2sheds

So Sheds - serious query - is the call on if something is digi or analogue is simply based on the source material?

love the EMT its fantastico.

How about some classic Juke Box pictures - when do they get a look in!

and while I think of it any up-market portables or record ghetto blasters can get a couple of hours of your reseacrh attention?

I know I know I am being lazy but you do such a great job

Some great ideas there for the next in the Coffee Table Book series, Andy :D I'll keep them in mind....

As I understand the way the Laser Turntable works, is by turning the reflection of the laser by the grooves into a mechanical (or analogue) movement. That's a similar way to the movement of a stylus creating an analogue signal by the movement of the cantilever moving a magnet and a coil. In a true digital environment the signal would be converted to electrical or optical signals (on or off) ADC (Analogue to Digital Convertor) and reconverted back to analogue in the DAC (Digital to Analogue Convertor). According the manufacturers of the Laser Turntable, there is no conversion to digital in their player.

The EMT? Now I know what the Germans did with all those leftover Panzer Tanks :eek:

cheers

2sheds

• Like 1

stop sniggering:eek:

[ATTACH]3303[/ATTACH]

You could hear me from there....? :D

Very nice Andy. Sort of like a picnic stereo....:eek: A great one for the kids. Is it a Sony...?

cheers

2sheds

My daughter loves to listent to Black Beauty story on LP in her bedroom - nd its got batteries so you can take it to the picnic and play jazz with your champagne and strawberies - my wife and i have a favourity spot just over looking the dump - very romantic.

My daughter loves to listent to Black Beauty story on LP in her bedroom - nd its got batteries so you can take it to the picnic and play jazz with your champagne and strawberies - my wife and i have a favourity spot just over looking the dump - very romantic.

Excellent Andy. :D And I can see how the view of the dump would get you excited, but I can't work out why Mrs Thiing succumbs to the scenery...:eek:

cheers

2sheds