Sign in to follow this  
Spetz

Sony SA-W10 Super Woofer

Hi guys,

I am looking for a small subwoofer to add a tiny bit of low end frequency to a 2 channel system primarily used for TV/Movies in a 4X8m room.

Speakers will be JMax QHR125, receiver likely an Onkyo TX SR601.

Ideally I would use a Yamaha YST 80/90 subwoofer however as I am taking this system overseas it needs to be as light as possible.

At this stage I am able of taking the Sony SA-W10 super woofer.

I have heard them when I was a kid and they sounded good to me, just wondering if the quality is reasonable though and how it compares to the Yamaha?

I am sure it is loud enough, in fact louder than needed, just need to know whether it is worth getting, or do without a sub and add one in a years time or so.

A pic for reference of what I am talking about:

sony1-sm.jpg

I would like to add that from the design of this woofer, it seems that it uses the principles of a bandpass box.

The front of the woofer is in a very small "sealed" enclosure. It isn't actually sealed, rather the vent as such is packed with some fabric material. My theory is that this makes it work like a bandpass box of a larger size, and the bass only really comes from the port.

How would this work in a home theatre system?
ie, would this mean the frequency response is not good enough for a home theatre system?
Sony advertises 28-200hz however this seems atypical of a bandpass box?

When it comes to subwoofers, 'lightweight' and 'good performance' are mutually exclusive.

I've heard one of those and it certainly isn't a proper subwoofer IMHO.

Hey Spetz (interesting first name, what nationality is that ? if I may ask ? )

A small suggestion if I may, if you kept all your subwoofer inquires in one thread, it might make it easier for everyone to keep track of what your trying to achieve and possibly offer better advise.

I think you'll find that the Sony SA-W10 super woofer is of a bass reflex design, with the driver mounted on the front baffle behind the slot shaped grille; likely 28Hz = f10, f3 = c. 38Hz?

Probably better ('subwoofer') bottom end than the Bose AM from previous.

It is a bass reflect design but I believe as the front baffle offers so much air pressure resistance it acts as a bandpass box.

f10 means at -10db does it?

Yeah Thiele-Small shorthand for enclosure -10dB frequency.

Looks like you're looking for a sub with a high crossover for small satellites?

If so, the bottom end may be less critical, e.g. if the satellites have a full range driver like Bose, a very low bottom end should usually be matched with a very high top end, the product of f3 points = c. 500Khz? by conventional wisdom (e.g 50Hz x 10kHz); a lopsided 20Hz to 10Khz would yield a low no. of only 200kHz and sound correspondingly bad; I believe you'll find when mixing, audio engineers aim for a similar bandwidth 'balance'.

Megamond, I do not plan to use satelites, rather bookshelf speakers.
The subwoofer is just to fill any void and offer that cinematic experience

Oh OK, AFAIK the only issue there may be integration with smaller bookshelves as they (even their raw drivers) may have a mid-bass hump (for some bass emphasis) to accommodate; I believe Paul from Red Spade has some excellent bass integration advice in these pages (anecdotally agree on all of his obs through similar experience).

If youre just trying to get a bit more low end for movies in your bedroom or lounge than that sony or the yammys are fine. The bookshelfs will be ok to because its got to be better than the sound thats comming out of tv speakers.

Edited by cyclingsteve

At 35W RMS max the Sony would really only be suitable for a bedroom setting; the higher powered Yamahas mentioned would give more flexibility in use, i.e. larger rooms.