Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Improving' a cheap phono stage.

G'day all, tonight I put into service my TCC TC-750 phono stage, a little commercially made unit that I bought some years ago as its circuitry was/is based entirely on transistors.  Since I've owned it I've done a few mods to it that I think have improved its sound like getting rid of that horrible switch mode 12 VDC wallwart supply (noisy) with a 12 volt DC gel cell (a big difference in noise). 

I changed the input loading capacitors from 220 picofarads (ceramics) to 100 picofarads (WIMA's) mainly to improve the loading with my M97xE but in any case I like the 'smooth' sound of the WIMA's!

I also changed the values of the output coupling capacitors to the values marked on the pcb from the smaller values actually installed.  So how does it sound?  Incredibly 'quiet' with a nice unstrained sound and a nice sense of 'ambience'.  Have I improved it?  Yes I think so.  Regards, Felix.   

Most commercially cheap solid state small phono boxes have an opamp (dual or pair of singles) just before the riaa circuit, these opamps usually operate on less then - /+14vdc rails and you can almost drop in another opamp for better sound.