My first reel to reel player (and I haven't a clue)

I know the azimuth needs adjustment as it sounds terrible with the pre-recorded tapes that came with it.  Also, one of the VU meter bulbs requires a replacement, so I will probably change all four bulbs at some point.  Really happy with it - looks very cool (to me).

If anyone in Brisbane knows about adjusting the heads, I'd love you to come over and lend a hand!

post-111707-0-38132900-1420329702_thumb.

• Like 4

A good clean of the heads with isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds as well as demagnitizing the heads might just do the trick. Be aware that old tapes can often degrade over time.  I bought a teac off gumtree a few months ago and it sounded pretty awful with supplied tapes.i thought i had bought a dud but after a good clean and some new tape which i recorded tracks off vinyl onto and its sounds awesome.

• Like 1

You MUST use a properly calibrated tape for head alignment. NEVER use someone else's tapes, unless you can track the calibration back to an appropriate standard. Your best option is to find someone with a proper calibration standard. Sadly, that will be difficult and will cost some money. As others have stated, often a good clean is all a R/R requires and the advice re. old tapes is spot-on. Old R/R tapes are always suspect.

And yes, I have a properly calibrated R/R tape. It NEVER leaves my premises. It is like gold. 

• Like 1

I might try recording something on the new tape - the old tapes are perishing I think (snap easily).

Throw the old tapes out. Do not be tempted to use them. Old tapes will shed oxide and you will spend the rest of your life cleaning the machine. I've seen old tapes that are so bad, that the heads gum up in less than a minute. Ironically, R/R tapes are not like cassette tapes. They don't last as long as cassettes.

Thanks for the advice everyone - just wondering if it is worth investing in an alignment tape, or should I use the money towards a professional calibration?  I don't think I'll be using the machine that much or buying another one (but you never know).

www.totallytechnical.com.au in Bowen Hills can sort you out for any problems you may have.

I haven't needed them for work on my deck, but have spoken to them at their premises, and am confident that they could sort any issues that might arise.