Need advice on Dynaudio Focus 380

Hi,

I am a new member and looking for advice on the setup of a HIFI system. The music type I like is Symphony and Opera. The speaker I want to buy is Dynaudio Focus 380 which will meet my requirement. However, I really don't have any idea which amplifier can work perfectly with this speaker. Is anyone here have Focus 380? I need some suggestions before I go to the store.

Thanks in advance!

G'day.

Happy owner of these speakers myself. They are rated at 4ohm which generally means they require a proper high current capable amp to get the most out of them, particularly to adequately damp the woofers for maximum dynamics. I use a musically fidelity m6-500i which is rated at 500 watts into 8ohms and about 770 watts into four ohms :)

This is perhaps overkill however this amps' ability to deliver 100 amps of currant at peak with that level of power is the reason I bought it.

I'd suggest something of similar capability as your musical preferences cover recordings with some of the widest dynamic range.

Edited by Lil Caesar

G'day.

Happy owner of these speakers myself. They are rated at 4ohm which generally means they require a proper high current capable amp to get the most out of them, particularly to adequately damp the woofers for maximum dynamics. I use a musically fidelity m6-500i which is rated at 500 watts into 8ohms and about 770 watts into four ohms :)

This is perhaps overkill however this amps' ability to deliver 100 amps of currant at peak with that level of power is the reason I bought it.

I'd suggest something of similar capability as your musical preferences cover recordings with some of the widest dynamic range.

Thanks, Lil. You are absolutely right. The system I am after must have the widest dynamic range and deep bass. Initially my target is Audio Physics Tempo 25. I brought my Bruckner Symphony No. 9 to the shop and played the third chapter. It is struggling and I didn't hear the brilliant sound. My friend suggested Dynaudio Focus 360 or 380. But I really don't have any idea about the amplifier. Intergrated or Pre+Power? Which brand is compatiable with Dynaudio? ....

Have you actually listened to these speakers? How do you know that you will like them?

I will go to the store today. But my friends' musical preferences are the same as mine. The only question here is which amplifier can make the great sound with these speakers.

Which Dynaudio speaker?

X32 and focus 220 drove both with heaps spare also paired with usher be718 which require good power and drove these easily to the limit also. It has oodles of current which dyns like but what is your room size, budget

X32 and focus 220 drove both with heaps spare also paired with usher be718 which require good power and drove these easily to the limit also. It has oodles of current which dyns like but what is your room size, budget

My living room is about 30 square meter so at least focus 380. 

I'd be looking at class D amplifiers..

Good bang for buck, I used to run an sti 500 int from wyred4sound on some focus 160's great match for the dyns..

Look into their gear here..

www.deephzaudio.com

Pete is a great chap to deal with..

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by b@ndicoot

Dynaudio speakers in general appreciate a gutsy amplifier. Brands I've used successfully in the past have been Parasound, Pass Labs, Musical Fidelity and Naim. My past Dyns (X12, X32, Focus 160) never gelled well with Rega (Brio-R) or the Bladelius TYR.

Dynaudio speakers in general appreciate a gutsy amplifier. Brands I've used successfully in the past have been Parasound, Pass Labs, Musical Fidelity and Naim. My past Dyns (X12, X32, Focus 160) never gelled well with Rega (Brio-R) or the Bladelius TYR.

how about Audio Research LS27 + Ref 75 or Gryphon Diablo?

how about Audio Research LS27 + Ref 75 or Gryphon Diablo?

If you are considering that class of amplifier, I would be looking at the Contour series instead of the Focus, even though it never hurts to have a really good amplifier so that future speaker upgrades won't involve selling the amp as well.

If you like the Focus 380 I would suggest a Luxman 507UX or a MF M6 500i depending on your preferences.

• Like 1

If you are considering that class of amplifier, I would be looking at the Contour series instead of the Focus, even though it never hurts to have a really good amplifier so that future speaker upgrades won't involve selling the amp as well.

If you like the Focus 380 I would suggest a Luxman 507UX or a MF M6 500i depending on your preferences.

And remember selling the Focus 380 won't be easy due to shipping constrains. 

Have you heard the C1s? They do pretty awesome bass when driven well. 

My 805s does pretty good bass too. My room is only 6*4m tho. 

Contour series I would only consider C4 which the price can buy two and half F380. C2 is two way not three way speaker thus won't satisfy my preference.(Symphony need wide dynamic range). C1 is bookshelf which only suits small bedroom.

And remember selling the Focus 380 won't be easy due to shipping constrains. 

Have you heard the C1s? They do pretty awesome bass when driven well. 

My 805s does pretty good bass too. My room is only 6*4m tho. 

My preference needs floorstand speakers.

Hi, just upgraded to Focus380 from 220s and my Plinius M8/ P8 combo does very well. I can't tell for sure until my CD player is repaired and the speakers may need another week or 2 running in, but I'm very happy with the results thus far. 10:00 on the dial is very loud with no distortion. For larger dynamics I would go further upline and use a SA103 , but you might need to upgrade the preamp as well. If you want to try the brand, there's a Plinius 9200 integrated on eBay right now, bidding starts at $1500, and it would have the same power as mine. I'd really be interested in finding out what you end up with. Happy searching!

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt, Dyns are best suited to high current amps. Saw this on the classified section:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/77088-plinius-sa-201-power-amplifier-crazy-cheap/?hl=plinius

Musical Fidelity amps are good pairing too which mentioned above. Won't go wrong with Parasound A21 either, which I missed out few months earlier.  I ended up with Elektra reference amp to drive my Dyns. Good luck with your search.

As suggested by others I strongly suggest that you listen before you make judegment on the capability of speakers in different series. I run C1's in a medium size space and find that they are more than adequate and in my opinion were preferable to the floorstanders from contour series, although in realtiy you are talking small differences, not night and day.

In response to your specific question I have heard/auditioned dyns with:

- Bryston and liked the combo however I know that others find it to harsh/clinical. This is possibly not surprising for me as I prefer yamaha over denon/marantz in the HT space

- Macintosh again I quite liked the sound but it definately is more laid back than the bryston.

My local dyn dealer, whom I have a good relationship with, strongly recomends the audiolab 8200 monos and pre having comapred this combo to a passlab and bryston that they had instore at the time.

If on a budget they also have a soft spot for NAD with dyns.