Metal: Currently Spinning

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha thats awesome.....get em' young.   My young bloke.

Back to where it all began.... Original Uk first pressing

Kicking off the weekend with the mighty Death.  Never enough can be said how great this band is/was.   

Good to be back metal maniacs....

Picked this one up from our very own @candyflip last week to replace my much loved & played original I got when it was released form Pipe Imported Records all those years ago. Still gives me chills decades later so here she is....

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion 

WIN_20210308_15_27_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.26682fa519c44863de1a720baf13226a.jpg

WIN_20210308_15_28_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.589e9a9c5dea2da3870adce7699fdf75.jpg

WIN_20210308_15_28_42_Pro.thumb.jpg.09bcd4d95896c9bbc2babb9ca4e32804.jpg

Thanks to also to @08Boss302 for the Frost concert stub id lost long ago? 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Good to be back metal maniacs....

Picked this one up from our very own @candyflip last week to replace my much loved & played original I got when it was released form Pipe Imported Records all those years ago. Still gives me chills decades later so here she is....

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion 

Thanks to also to @08Boss302 for the Frost concert stub id lost long ago? 

The cover art is just sick isn't it Doug?

IMG_3126.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, candyflip said:

The cover art is just sick isn't it Doug?

Yeah it one of the more striking album covers isnt it done by the late, great H.R. Giger. 

Fun fact. Tom Warrior (Celtic Frost) became very good friends with Giger and is now one of the custodians of his estate.

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Had never heard of these guys, just checked two songs out.  Was not at all what I was expecting but very happily suprised.

Will spend some more time listening to these guys!!

Cheers.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Had never heard of these guys, just checked two songs out.  Was not at all what I was expecting but very happily suprised.

Will spend some more time listening to these guys!!

Cheers.

Album was produced by Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth if I recall correctly. It's Jake Dreyer's other band (now former Iced Earth guitarist)!

Edited by Dokken
3 minutes ago, Dokken said:

Album was produced by Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth if I recall correctly. It's Jake Dreyer's other band (now former Iced Earth guitarist)!

I've been a fan since their second album (A Prelude To Sorrow) and each album keeps getting better in both music and production IMO.

I got Curse Of Autumn from HD Tracks with a 20% off code for new releases this month.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dokken said:

Wow!

They completely slipped my radar

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I've been a fan since their second album (A Prelude To Sorrow) and each album keeps getting better in both music and production IMO.

I got Curse Of Autumn from HD Tracks with a 20% off code for new releases this month.

Have listened to the second album but haven't got around to this one yet. The singer Joseph Michael has a great voice. I think he's recording a new album with Sanctuary if I'm not mistaken!!

Edited by Dokken
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Griseus by Aquilus, 

126324583_GriseusAquilus.jpg.88e04a316b67814e36b886e3226873c6.jpg

Aquilus is an atmospheric metal band from Melbourne, Australia. The works encompass different styles of atmospheric music inspired by classical and folk.

From:- https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Aquilus/Griseus/486293/

Aquilus' Griseus is actually a very solid album that deserves some of the praise it has gotten over the past few years. The record has an epic sound based upon elegant symphonic keyboard passages that would make this album a perfect video game soundtrack. The occasional acoustic guitars also blend in with relaxed melodies. The choirs are scarcely used which makes them very efficient.

These uplifting symphonic neofolk passages are contrasted by melodic black metal elements. This release offers a few cold guitar riffs that add some grit to keep the long tracks together. The harsh vocals sound quite unusual, being almost breathed or whispered at times. They lack power in my opinion but certainly have a quite unique style. Even people who usually despise black metal vocals could appreciate them in the context of this release because they aren't overused and always contribute cleverly to the atmosphere.

Despite the massive song lengths and a total running time just below eighty minutes, the record grabs you with its mysterious atmosphere right from the start and manages to keep things imaginative until the very end. One shouldn't listen to this album while being tired though because the calm passages will soon make you fall asleep but if you actively listen to this record with your headphones on, it will take you on a wondrous voyage.

In the end, Aquilus' Griseus isn't the masterpiece some people claim it to be but it is an elegant mixture of symphonic neofolk and epic melodic black metal that is perhaps best compared to Summoning but certainly has its very own style. It might be one of the most imaginative metal records of the decade. I couldn't listen to this release quite regularly because of its massive length and at times sleep-inducing vibes but it certainly is a creative discovery I like to come back to from time to time.

• Like 2

Wasn't sure where to post this one, it's not a sonically heavy album. Kauan are generally a doom-ish band, but this album is subtle, beautifully composed, melodic and dark, it only gets heavy right at the end of the fourth and final track in a huge heartwrenching and emotionally devastating climax.

This is Kuu... by Kauan, on a lovely cream vinyl.

Youtube link to the labels official upload. (also has lyrics and translations)

20210311_192834.jpg

• Like 1

Released today, Rob Zombie - The Lunar Injection, half way through and liking it.

9BE1FD7D-705E-40E7-AFDA-4D71DE866223.png

Edited by awayward
  • Like 2

Well I must have been asleep in the mid 90's because this thing is just life affirming-

Testament_-_Low.jpg.f46e52824f8993ab096452f50ba2def3.jpg

• Like 5

Very late to the Metal scene but thoroughly enjoying my journey through the various sub genres. My favorites being Sludge, melodic, progressive, symphonic and of all things Viking Metal.

Albums I will be spinning today will be;

Jomsviking (album) - Wikipedia

Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes.jpg

Have nice day.

• Like 4

Well, after my 6th 500ml Stella Artois, I'm listening to this;

Discovering metal in my sixties has been a revelation. So much great music and I'm just scratching the surface. It's going to be a hell of a journey. Might have to take up smoking doobies again!!

Edited by Metal-Fan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Forgot about Rammstein - wasn't interested in their heyday but I might be now. Industrial metal is another sub genre for me to have a squiz at over the weekend.

Edited by Metal-Fan
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Metal-Fan said:

Forgot about Rammstein - wasn't interested in their heyday but I might be now. Industrial metal is another sub genre for me to have a squiz at over the weekend.

Neue Deutsche Härte (New German Hardness) is their primary genre.
I like all of their albums and they are a great live band.

• Like 3
On 18/03/2021 at 8:00 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but whatever you label it, it's bloody amazing

ZEKPuD3.png

Now if Sir Zangalongalinga What?More? can slip this in then I can slap this one in(Go on argue...bite me grrr)

Been the death of a few fans...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Boris  ‎– Amplifier Worship - 2020 Third Man Records reissue of the 1998 classic.  sounds really good.

KmArmXt.jpg

• Like 3

Good Friday for some, whilst not for others....

Electric Wizard - Black Masses

Just what I need to help get me through the day

WIN_20210402_13_25_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.409eaf8d8f45b36a8bd5c6e2255a591e.jpg

WIN_20210402_13_26_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.20509054a31ad7f1cee7fca70e6afea1.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Good Friday for some, whilst not for others....

Electric Wizard - Black Masses

Just what I need to help get me through the day

WIN_20210402_13_25_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.409eaf8d8f45b36a8bd5c6e2255a591e.jpg

WIN_20210402_13_26_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.20509054a31ad7f1cee7fca70e6afea1.jpg

That Billy Gibbons rug RULES!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

That Billy Gibbons rug RULES!!!!

As does the great man himself. Feel terrible walking over him all the time though ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Continuing the unholy theme

Merciful Fate - Return Of The Vampire, The Rare And Unreleased

WIN_20210402_16_17_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.def3e7dc05ac4c881af1183cfe1b448d.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 4

One of the few metal albums that never fails to induce a tear from my old devil eyes.

W.A.S.P  - The Crimson Idol (original Vs.  Reidolized)

WIN_20210402_18_20_58_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

Getting blacker.....

Winterfylleth - The Threnody Of Triumph

WIN_20210402_20_51_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.88ce8d61e8e11ef1ef37ba361d7ed8db.jpg

WIN_20210402_20_51_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.1e5b8bc64dcb823d1c6d519dd0c23608.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 1

Been very lazy last few months and tbh streaming quite a bit thru ease mostly.

Gotta get me back  into this thread a bit more...

Start with this monster of an LP.

16175967846771669390275256152448.jpg

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 5

Dio- Lock Up The Wolves

image.png.55b694147d0227d2ec8882c5de39d717.png

Still miss the wee feller 

Edited by deanB
  • Like 5