Jump to content

Stygian

Metal: Currently Spinning

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

 

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

 

I've slightly changed the cleaning method, now using one of those 'Magic Eraser' sponges.  I've used them many times for household cleaning and find them very effective.  They do have a tendency to wear quickly and break apart on rougher surfaces, and that has prevented me using them on my records before.  But, I thought, what the hell - give it a go and see what happens.

 

I have the Studebaker bath from the P.O.  I give them a run through the bath, leaving them in for a soak and turn a few times.

Draining the excess water off by standing them, and then placing flat to wipe with the sponge.  I give them quite a good wipe over ( with the groove ) using a fair bit of pressure, then to the sink for a rinse ( label and all ).

Back to the table for drying off with a lint free, micro fiber wipe.

Then glue application.  I assume that the glue should remove any sponge or fibers.

 

 

 

 

Hey Ant,

Out of interest how do you use the magic eraser to clean the record?  I use one of the small cubes and clean my stylus by just dabbing the stylus onto it a few times every record or so but i've not heard of it being used to clean a record.

 

I must admit, I am a culprit of record spray and a lens cloth every so often but I also have the Knosti Disco Anti Stat which i use periodically.  Never tried the glue method but the magic eraser has me puzzled!

can you share your method with us?

 

39 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

 

... and another...

 

'Metal Massacre'  Compilation 1982 Metal Blade Records, USA.

2032455964_MetalMassacreCompilation1982MetalBladeRecordsUSA..JPG.0a9e2cea2bc6f3b82ca1125137875983.JPG

 

257299843_MetalMassacre-tracklist.JPG.6d8821ab079647e61ba33700c4ead855.JPG

 

the highly regarded and spoken of metal massacre that introduced the world to that little band MetallicA.

nice album to have man.  Who would have though you'd see Metallica on the same album as some of the NWOBH style acts as well as RATT!!! awesome.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @08Boss302 - Yo Bro.

 

No worries mate...

 

After a bath and soak in the Studebaker to loosen up the gunk, which i did in the sink before I had the Studebaker, I lay the record flat on a towel or lint free cloth.

With a wet sponge, which I rinse after every side, I wipe back and forth with the groove, with quite a bit of pressure.  You can feel the sponge want to follow the groove which indicates to me that it's getting well into it.

Be careful with the label, I have had some discoloration on the sponge from wiping them.  I don't mind that at all, but I'm sure many would be horrified by that.  I've also damaged a couple of labels with the glue by getting too close.  But I think that is due to not letting the label dry enough before applying the glue.

 

After the sponge I rinse under running water, then dry with a lint free micro fiber cloth.  I now stand them to dry for half an hour or so before applying glue, mainly for the label.

 

That's it my man.

 

There is a whole thread on the glue cleaning method for more info there.

 

Initially I was very concerned about washing records in a sink where the label is fully immersed.  I watched a few youtube clips and saw others doing it.  I tested on a few Op Shop throwaways before tackling any treasures.

After cleaning 500 records, I have probably damaged 10 labels.  Most of them were already damaged with a crease or some other production fault.  So now I avoid those.  A few independent record labels ( more rough paper like ), also don't seem to like getting wet.  Most labels are fine and fully dry in five to ten minutes.

 

I would recommend a bit of trial and error with some garbage records if you have any lying around, or hit your local Op Shops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Black Sabbath  'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'  1973 Vertigo Records. A W.W.A. Record, Made in Aust.  Oz 1st press.

856282982_BlackSabbathSabbathBloodySabbath1973VertigoRecords_AW.W.A.RecordMadeinAust..JPG.5b11764329ea8d86d82cf656b5daf565.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Nice one @Darren69

 

I see yours and raise you an original...

 

1630549714_MyPrecious.jpg.7dffc54d31364dfdaaaadc5fb457271b.jpg

No idea why that turned sideways.

 

Yours looks like a new arrival, is it a re-issue?  Edit - I see the numbers match, must be original too.

Awesome!! 😁 I have no idea what it is, a gentleman here gave it to me, would you believe? I am ashamed to say I cannot remember the mans member name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


42 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey @08Boss302 - Yo Bro.

 

No worries mate...

 

After a bath and soak in the Studebaker to loosen up the gunk, which i did in the sink before I had the Studebaker, I lay the record flat on a towel or lint free cloth.

With a wet sponge, which I rinse after every side, I wipe back and forth with the groove, with quite a bit of pressure.  You can feel the sponge want to follow the groove which indicates to me that it's getting well into it.

Be careful with the label, I have had some discoloration on the sponge from wiping them.  I don't mind that at all, but I'm sure many would be horrified by that.  I've also damaged a couple of labels with the glue by getting too close.  But I think that is due to not letting the label dry enough before applying the glue.

 

After the sponge I rinse under running water, then dry with a lint free micro fiber cloth.  I now stand them to dry for half an hour or so before applying glue, mainly for the label.

 

That's it my man.

 

There is a whole thread on the glue cleaning method for more info there.

 

Initially I was very concerned about washing records in a sink where the label is fully immersed.  I watched a few youtube clips and saw others doing it.  I tested on a few Op Shop throwaways before tackling any treasures.

After cleaning 500 records, I have probably damaged 10 labels.  Most of them were already damaged with a crease or some other production fault.  So now I avoid those.  A few independent record labels ( more rough paper like ), also don't seem to like getting wet.  Most labels are fine and fully dry in five to ten minutes.

 

I would recommend a bit of trial and error with some garbage records if you have any lying around, or hit your local Op Shops.

thanks bud, thanks for taking the time to share your cleaning method.

i've got a few old LPs here I might try it with.

cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not merely a comeback album, its a resurrection!!!!!

 

Celtic Frost - Monotheist

 

 

WIN_20200414_19_26_36_Pro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for some black metal:

Dark Funeral - Where Shadows Forever Reign....Dimmu Borgir sounding vocals coupled with fantastic drumming as usual by Nils "Dominator" Fjellstrom 👍

 

 

 

images.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

An old favourite to Kickstart the day 🤘

20200418_095011.jpg

Edited by Capone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Original Elektra release which unfortunately omits black lodge which the CD has.

The DBL LP reissue puts the song on it tho 👌

20200418_133759_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20200418_155543_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lee Aaron - Metal Queen, not quite metal but she looks the part.

 

BF1C5A4F-DD6D-4FE5-A746-F7678D59127D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Original Elektra release which unfortunately omits black lodge which the CD has.

The DBL LP reissue puts the song on it tho 👌

20200418_133759_HDR.jpg

I have never even sighted this on record, not when it was released, not ever. It's a sick album, one of my mates a few years ago opined it was their best - to which my response was that's a big call...but for me STD, ATL and this one are the winners 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackangus said:

I have never even sighted this on record, not when it was released, not ever. It's a sick album, one of my mates a few years ago opined it was their best - to which my response was that's a big call...but for me STD, ATL and this one are the winners 

Cheers man.

Yeah its a ripper album. 

 

This vinyl version of SOWN is pretty rare, not as rare as Stomp 442 on vinyl though, thats the one missing in my collection but at $500 (usually) its going to be missing a bit longer. 

The re issue of SOWN is pretty easy to track down though if youre interested in it. Cover is different, it resembles the CD.

 

As you may have guessed by my avatar, they're my fav band, have been since I was about 12 I reckon.  Got a whole bunch of collectable and rare stuff of theirs.  Seen every one of their Australian tours and met them a few times and had stuff signed etc. I would struggle to choose a clear standout album as I cant fault their catalogue but I am very bias to them haha

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday morning was a struggle, so went completely the opposite direction than I did at the start of the week and went heavy.  

 

Started with Asva.  Probably should check out of some of their other albums, but got this one back in the day because of Trey Spruance playing on it.  Wasn't a bad start.  Drone, doom, sludgeyness.

 

a0302179036_16.jpg

 

https://music.southern.com/album/what-you-dont-know-is-frontier

 

Then stepped it up a notch with Sunn O))) - Pyroclasts.  I like this more than Life Metal.  Great drone album.

 

a0470628539_16.jpg

 

 https://sunn.bandcamp.com/album/pyroclasts

 

Then added some vocals with Hope Drone - Cloak Of Ash.  That first song is just epic.  

 

a1824379728_16.jpg

 

https://hopedrone.bandcamp.com/album/cloak-of-ash

 

And finished with HYPNO5E.  French band.  Just as metal, but with more quiet pieces and a bit of spoken word sampling.  

 

a2431544685_16.jpg

https://hypno5e.bandcamp.com/album/shores-of-the-abstract-line

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for some Blackened Death Metal tunes:

Belphegor - Conjuring the Dead....their best album in my opinion!

20200421_134258.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I think I’ve entered a parallel universe, WTF, Danzig doing Elvis songs, not heavy versions either.

 

FA0FC5A5-DCBB-4D6F-8C8B-49C9095C115F.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep mind blown. @Tubularbells was just about to post this myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Yep mind blown. @Tubularbells was just about to post this myself.

 

Know of  somewhere I can order the vinyl for less than $100? Bloody expensive....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My ST gateway drug.

 

Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow......

 

Lots of great memories for me.

 

image.thumb.png.5dd93672d92c5036bf0e006ed55d2a2a.png 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Tubularbells
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey dudes

Some of you might have the book that came out the other year but just a heads up the documentary Murder in the Front Row is now on Amazon Prime.

(If you dont have Amazon Prime, just sign up for the 30day free trial, then watch the doco and then cancel.)

 

The doco is great, it centres totally on thrash and the bay area so if you are looking for a definitve thrash doco this aint it but if you're a bay area fan you'll enjoy it. Not much we probably dont know but its still awesome.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2020 at 7:18 PM, awayward said:

I think I’ve entered a parallel universe, WTF, Danzig doing Elvis songs, not heavy versions either.

 

FA0FC5A5-DCBB-4D6F-8C8B-49C9095C115F.png

 

Couldn't help myself so have placed a pre-order with Discrepancy Records ...OUCH!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

 

Couldn't help myself so have placed a pre-order with Discrepancy Records ...OUCH!

 

 

Brave man, I streamed the album and could only get through 2 songs, not an Elvis fan so that didn’t help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, awayward said:

Brave man, I streamed the album and could only get through 2 songs, not an Elvis fan so that didn’t help.

Brave indeed as im also no Elvis fan so dared not listen to it before placing the order 🤣

Edited by Tubularbells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2020 at 7:18 PM, awayward said:

I think I’ve entered a parallel universe, WTF, Danzig doing Elvis songs, not heavy versions either.

 

FA0FC5A5-DCBB-4D6F-8C8B-49C9095C115F.png

@Yamaha_man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...