Stygian

Metal: Currently Spinning

On 24/01/2020 at 8:13 PM, Monk said:

Some Hope Drone this afternoon for some post-metal goodness.

Void-Lustre-Cover-500x500.jpg

Holy hell I didn't even know they'd released this. I have their first two albums which just slay. I'm still yet to see them live. Okee doke let's show the credit card who's boss... 

On 24/01/2020 at 8:13 PM, Monk said:

Some Hope Drone this afternoon for some post-metal goodness.

Void-Lustre-Cover-500x500.jpg

Edited by blackangus

I never think of Killing Joke as a metal band but their impact on the genre is undeniable. And this is a pretty fkn metal record! 

IMG_20200207_221717_360.jpg

3 hours ago, awayward said:

Sepultura- Quadra, new release out today, plenty heavy, thrash as expected but has elements of prog, symphonic and acoustic thrown in, enjoyed it.

Hey Man.  Nice one.  I have 'Machine Messiah' on vinyl and love it.  I would describe it exactly as you have the new one.  I'm all for older bands 'prog'ressing and bringing something fresh into the mix.

Thanks @aasza for the heads up.

3 hours ago, blackangus said:

Holy hell I didn't even know they'd released this. I have their first two albums which just slay. I'm still yet to see them live. Okee doke let's show the credit card who's boss... 

To be honest, I do prefer Cloak of Ash over this.   But hey, it's still good.

And yeah, do like them live.

IMG_20200125_212239.jpg

13 hours ago, awayward said:

Sepultura- Quadra, new release out today, plenty heavy, thrash as expected but has elements of prog, symphonic and acoustic thrown in, enjoyed it.

0FF56211-8A3B-4605-A50A-B00F9B42E56F.png

I'm hyped for this. Will have to pick it up. Reviews seem positive:

Edited by twofires

Just stumbled across this young guy.    Dino Jelusic is the singer.   27 yr old from Croatia.    Got some pipes.

He has just put out a CD under the name Dirty Shirley with guitarist George Lynch on the Frontiers Label. 

Regards Cazzesman

Quite Sunday afternoon.  With Sepultura.  :D

R-480908-1225364640.jpeg.jpg

Not bad.   Very, solid consistent effort over the entire CD.

Certainly the vocals are faultless.

Regards Cazzesman

bite.jpg

George Lynch's guitar work was amazing with Dokken and Lynch Mob.  I don't think his playing is up to those levels unfortunately these days.

4 hours ago, Dokken said:

George Lynch's guitar work was amazing with Dokken and Lynch Mob.  I don't think his playing is up to those levels unfortunately these days.

True, but he’s not to shabby for someone turning 66 later this year.

Lawnmower Deth - Ooh Crikey on grass green splatter.

Remember buying this  on cd back in the day with my old Sony only being able to index 40 of its 70+ tracks and being blown away when i upgraded cd players hearing another 30 odd tracks!

20200211_195117.thumb.jpg.90a740ca97983584b48ed6c3f296e687.jpg

20200211_195216.thumb.jpg.5831303aeb99f28ca3b4f438561bdbce.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells
pox spelling

Hey Bangers...

This post has been a few days in the making.  I've been giving my new Sabbath Rhino reissues a good workout.

I recently acquired 'Master of Reality', Vol. 4' & 'Paranoid' from another member.  They are all good, but 'Paranoid' is exceptional.  My copy is now with Furtherpale to have a few listens, he also regards it highly and will look for his own copy.

My satisfaction with the Rhino reissues prompted me to find 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath', up there with 'Mob Rules' as my favourite albums.

I have a Good Oz first press and the Earmark reissue.  They are the only versions I've heard, but I don't know which versions I have on the hard drive either.

My Oz press is my second copy.  As you can see, I have a long history with this album.

I've always thought the Oz version is a little thin, or maybe a tad harsh / bright.   Around the 1 minute mark sounds like the tape almost stopped... and kept going.  I'm pretty sure that has been on both my Oz first presses.

My first impression with the Rhino 'SBS' was OK... it's easier to listen to, but it didn't quite have that sparkle of the original, like many reissues.

Comparing it with the Rhino 'Paranoid' also revealed some weaknesses.  It certainly didn't grab me the way Paranoid did ( nor Furtherpale ). 

But I have given the reissue a fair chance, and the more I hear it, the more I like it. 

It has a beefier bottom end for starters.  The guitar is a little less prominent and Geezer is brought forward;  you can hear and feel the growl of his bass rig.

It gets mixed reviews on Discogs, where it's either loved or hated, and I'm yet to re-check the Hoffman site.

Black Sabbath  'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'  1973 - 2016 Rhino Records Reissue. Warner Bros. Pressed by Rainbo Records, USA. Lacquer cut by Sean Magee.

1562678805_BlackSabbathSabbathBloodySabbath1973-2016RhinoRecordsReissue.WarnerBros.PressedbyRainboRecordsUSA.LacquercutbySeanMagee..JPG.49226e576a8cceae6665ac3880eb697e.JPG

Took this ol' favourite for a spin...

Black Sabbath  'Mob Rules'  1981 Vertigo  Records, Phonogram, B.V. Holland, Polygram. Aust.

1342742114_BlackSabbathMobRules1981VertigoRecordsPhonogramB.V.HollandPolygram_Aust..JPG.26eb22fdc8d0f91460a1739f7f3dca4d.JPG

After reading here about the new Sepultura album...

Sepultura  'Machine Messiah'  2017 Nuclear Blast, USA.

378681620_SepulturaMachineMessiah2017NuclearBlastUSA.JPG.3b77513490ce98f99bdf5f4226198290.JPG

A solid album, great artwork.

Great write up @BuzzzFuzzz

My experience correlates with yours on these issues. 

Maori Metal !!

Alien Weaponry - Tū (2018)

foldero8k0u.png.13274177d071d98dc01df4e16cd8acf7.png

First heard today, bought today.  :D 

HYPNO5E.  French band.  Don't mind the odd French band it seems, Year Of No Light is awesome for instance.  This one has vocals though!   They're tagged as 'cinematic soundscape' and experimental (along with metal obviously), which I guess fits.  I think they tend to sound a bit 'hardcore' (?) at times though, or at least what I think that means.  Whatever it means.  But the vocals aren't quite of that genre, which is good for me because while I don't mind that style of music, I generally don't like the way they sing.  

They do the talking sampling thing that a lot of doom type bands do, vary the singing vocals between singing and screaming, they're a bit quiet at times, but pretty bloody energetic the rest of the time.  Definitely change it up during songs.  Yeah, really liking this at the moment.  Probably fills a gap in my music I think.

a1798152147_16.jpg

https://hypno5e.bandcamp.com/

Maybe little interest in this one but it is quite a rare EP which you will unlikely ever see. Risen from the ashes of  the 3rd (and ultimately final) breakup of Swiss metal gods Celtic Frost Triptykon was formed and this EP was an extension of the first LP they released.

Tyiptykon - Shatter EP

trip.jpg

Mercyful Fate - The Vampire Is Back (the demo collection)

Love this stuff.....

image.thumb.png.a59d514ffcdb498ce2380b292313402d.png

Spinning some good old Exodus - Bonded by Blood

1307733E-D204-416E-B7AE-97DB35803449.jpeg

Prob not gonna be many (if any) thumbs up on this one 😂 but I dig a bit of 80s glam metal/hard rock and this is a ripper in the genre imo.

20200221_213803_HDR.jpg

8 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Prob not gonna be many (if any) thumbs up on this one 😂 but I dig a bit of 80s glam metal/hard rock and this is a ripper in the genre imo.

20200221_213803_HDR.jpg

With you on this one, I think there are a plenty of closet glam metal/hard rockers out there, I’ve got plenty of it from the 80s, perhaps a currently spinning topic for this one should be created, doesn’t quite fit the metal currently spinning thread.

1 minute ago, awayward said:

With you on this one, I think there are a plenty of closet glam metal/hard rockers out there, I’ve got plenty of it from the 80s, perhaps a currently spinning topic for this one should be created, doesn’t quite fit the metal currently spinning thread.

....that said, it's still metal to me lol.  It's loud, bratty and musically some of these guys are/were exceptionally good.

When I've got my collection on shuffle I Love it when something from the glam/hard rock genre follows after a death metal track and is then followed by a thrash or traditional metal track. Bit of fun between the angst 😂😛

Dokken's Beast from the East is a killer live album. The good old days when Don still had the pipes!! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Dokken said:

Dokken's Beast from the East is a killer live album. The good old days when Don still had the pipes!! 🙂

Absolutely,

...and Lynch was unstoppable.

Corker of a live album of classic Dokken 👍