Stygian

Metal: Currently Spinning

Not much love for this colab but personally I love it!  Metallica & Lou  Reed - Lulu

20200113_193948.jpg

Double post

Edited by Tubularbells

20200114_131837.thumb.jpg.6d6e022fa91811ea85f805b5ba42b96c.jpg

I didn't grow up with anyone who listened to metal, so everything old is new to me. Sometimes that's a lot of fun. 

Metal Church - Metal Church

Alcest - Spiritual Instinct.

Perhaps my 2nd. Fav. Alcest release ever.....

20200118_174018.jpg

Celtic Frost - Into The Pandemonium

My favorite album from my favorite metal band. Distinctly remember this release shaking up the metal world with its classical instremuntation and operatic  vocals along with it's avent-guarde arrangements. 

Had this reissue for a long time now so finally  decided to crack it open and compare to the original release.

20200118_175717.jpg

THRASH x SLUDGE = GENIUS!!!! 

IMG_20200118_201825.thumb.jpg.4b412c18ddadf3ec0a5c4fb4808afd65.jpg

Was on a bit of an Isis kick for a bit this afternoon.  Was good.  Need to do it more often.

R-377616-1285888100.jpeg.jpg

a2258898507_10.jpg

cover_2025102492016_r.jpg?zc=1&s=0&a=t&q

My neck hurts 😩😀😬🤪

The Devil's Blood - Come Reap EP

Breaks my heart each time I listen to this highly underrated band (think Janis Joplin fronting an occult inspired  Led Zeppelin) given I only had a few short years between discovering them and there tragic end. 

Start with the track Christ Or Cocaine.

20200119_164528.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells

9 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

The Devil Blood - Come Reap EP

Breaks my heart each time I listen to this highly underrated band (think Janis Jopplin fronting an occult inspired Led Zepplin) given I only had a few short years between discovering them and there tragic end. 

Start with the track Christ Or Cocaine

Played that track via YouTube just now and the 2 year old came over and started waving her fists in the air and smiling. 🤘

Electric Wizzard- Black Masses

Sludge filled doom. Fits the mood nicely.

20200119_172352.jpg

The Hunt-Back On The Hunt.

Hard rock from 1980. Apparently their first album was prog but this is more good ole 80's hard rock. I enjoy it more 40 (!) years later than when I first bought it. Canadian group born out of Dillinger

1031343545_TheHunt.jpeg.21855cc1ca7605f6aaf6d9c27da0028c.jpeg

Some Hope Drone this afternoon for some post-metal goodness.

Void-Lustre-Cover-500x500.jpg

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Bloody Hammers marathon!

BH2.jpg

WOW

Yeah - WOW!!!

Can't wait 'till May...

Evening Folks.

It's been a while since I've posted a listen here.  I've played some Metal and Heavy music here and there, but generally things have been a bit tamer lately.  I have to be in the right frame of mind for Metal.

I picked up three Sabbath Rhino reissues recently, very happy with them.  Have ordered 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' Rhino reissue, should arrive any day, awaiting that with much anticipation.  Anyway, that's not the reason for this post...

... it is connected though;  I have been looking for the Rhino reissues to replace two Sabbath Earmark reissues, they just sound woeful and I never play them.

This Earmark reissue sounds OK, I don't expect much production wise with early Venom, and I don't have any other Venom music for comparison, whereas I do with Sabbath.

Venom  'Welcome to Hell'  1982 - 2003 Re-Issue, Earmark, Sanctuary, Get Back, Made in Italy by Abraxas.

1234410045_VenomWelcometoHell1982-2003Re-IssueEarmarkSanctuaryGetBackMadeinItalybyAbraxas_600.jpg.82216c5f31420d83df5079168849e8db.jpg

The birth of Death 'n' Roll for me, Black Motorhead.

The Earmark records are very well presented.  They are thick and weighty, but they also seem a little stiff, like plastic more than vinyl.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Will softer vinyl (more flexible) give a different sound to less flexible vinyl?  I imagine not all vinyl is equal.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Dont have an answer on that one Buzz. but your right in that there are some different vinyl compounds out there. Supposedly the stuff that comes out from the GZ pressing plant (the mob that does the stuff for Sony/Universal amongst others) use a unique formula that needs to be treated differently of using a vinyl flattening machine. Im sure theres also a difference in sound (background noise levels) too.

6 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Dont have an answer on that one Buzz. but your right in that there are some different vinyl compounds out there. Supposedly the stuff that comes out from the GZ pressing plant (the mob that does the stuff for Sony/Universal amongst others) use a unique formula that needs to be treated differently of using a vinyl flattening machine. Im sure theres also a difference in sound (background noise levels) too.

GZ used to use an inferior soft vinyl compound.   Yes, vinyl flattening units used to ruin this vinyl, so god knows how they would sound long term.

GZ now use standard vinyl compound so no issues.

Re-visiting Garage Days and drinking a cold one this warm Thu. morning

Metallica - Garage Inc.

Metallica - Enter Night  Pilsner

met.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells

Some Old School Metal, Black Sabbath' first album

Sabbath.jpg.72652eaa8c418572585daa7f7d98ce5f.jpg

Edited by Love_music

Sepultura- Quadra, new release out today, plenty heavy, thrash as expected but has elements of prog, symphonic and acoustic thrown in, enjoyed it.

0FF56211-8A3B-4605-A50A-B00F9B42E56F.png