Metal: Currently Spinning

Continuing down this path for now since the Mrs hasn't complained yet... The Haunted are one of the few bands of this period I never got to see live but this is still one of my favourite albums today. Just something between pure aggression melding with heavy heavy grooves really does it for me. Plus interesting, well delivered lyrics/vocals. ??

130088.jpg?4503

2 hours ago, SkipEsquire said:

Bit of nostalgia, I think still my favourite MetallicA album.

justiceforall.jpg

Controversial! ? 

For me, if Lars hadn't meddeled in the final mix on Justice, I'd agree, Metallica's finest it would have been.  I remember buying it on vinyl in '88 and being a tad disappointed (although double vinyl - awesome!). As a 16 year old back then I had hoped for something that crushed Puppets, but was left wanting.

Sadly, the mix brings this album down. Based on reports in the media, Lars insistence on crushing Newstead's bass and bring forward weak and trebly precussion was disappointing. Master is still the best imo (with Burton's awesome cthulhu weird horror  vibe, Burton RIP), followed by Ride, then Justice, then Kill e'm, then Black, and then the rest. If Metallica were still going to be touring Aus this month (I hope James recovers!), I was more looking forward to Slipknot than Metallica.

That said Justice is still a great album!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Controversial! ? 

For me, if Lars hadn't meddeled in the final mix on Justice, I'd agree, Metallica's finest it would have been.  I remember buying it on vinyl in '88 and being a tad disappointed (although double vinyl - awesome!). As a 16 year old back then I had hoped for something that crushed Puppets, but was left wanting.

Sadly, the mix brings this album down. Based on reports in the media, Lars insistence on crushing Newstead's bass and bring forward weak and trebly precussion was disappointing. Master is still the best imo (with Burton's awesome cthulhu weird horror  vibe, Burton RIP), followed by Ride, then Justice, then Kill e'm, then Black, and then the rest. If Metallica were still going to be touring Aus this month (I hope James recovers!), I was more looking forward to Slipknot than Metallica.

That said Justice is still a great album!

I suppose the real controversial opinion, especially on this forum, is that sound quality is pretty far down the list for me in terms of 'favourite albums'. I was only just being born in '88 and didn't get into MetallicA until around 2003?ish.. (Broke me out of a long stint of gangster rap and skater punk, not that those genres are inherently bad) For me I just love the themes of the songs and the flow of the album start to finish. I think of it as a thrash concept album lol

I was never concerned with production/sound quality until very recently but I can definitely agree after listening for the first time in a long time; the entire bass spectrum both drums and bass guitar is very anaemic. I did twiddle my EQ a few times trying to find a sweet spot but ended up just sticking it all flat again and appreciating the riffage and awesome (but so dated) whammy pedal solos.

I basically just wrote MetallicA off during the whole Napster thing and haven't revisited them much since, especially after watching that stupid sob story documentary, buying St Anger and being extremely disappointed compared to the Pink Floyd obsession I'd developed and modern metal albums of the time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SkipEsquire said:

I suppose the real controversial opinion, especially on this forum, is that sound quality is pretty far down the list for me in terms of 'favourite albums'. I was only just being born in '88 and didn't get into MetallicA until around 2003?ish.. (Broke me out of a long stint of gangster rap and skater punk, not that those genres are inherently bad) For me I just love the themes of the songs and the flow of the album start to finish. I think of it as a thrash concept album lol

I was never concerned with production/sound quality until very recently but I can definitely agree after listening for the first time in a long time; the entire bass spectrum both drums and bass guitar is very anaemic. I did twiddle my EQ a few times trying to find a sweet spot but ended up just sticking it all flat again and appreciating the riffage and awesome (but so dated) whammy pedal solos.

I basically just wrote MetallicA off during the whole Napster thing and haven't revisited them much since, especially after watching that stupid sob story documentary, buying St Anger and being extremely disappointed compared to the Pink Floyd obsession I'd developed and modern metal albums of the time.

It's not really about the mix, and sound quality, for me what stands out most is the appalling way that the band treated Jason Newstead, and the Justice album reflects this in a strikingly audible way.

Overall Justice is a really good album, in my opinion it's the last really "intellectual" Metallica album (and I'm sorry that this sounds really elitist and **** to be honest, but it's an opinion I've formed after being a fan of Metallica for 34 years), but for me the Justice album signalled the start of the downfall of what was the quintessential thrash band of the '80s, that is the transition of the Burton influenced Metallica to the Bob Rock influenced Metallica. Don't get me wrong I love Metallica, all of their albums, but there is a big difference in style between pre-Black and Black onwards.

Definitely agree though, their behaviour during the Napster days was pretty bad and really put people offside (though I  agreed with them, Napster in the early days allowed unapologetic theft of their music).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

It's not really about the mix, and sound quality, for me what stands out most is the appalling way that the band treated Jason Newstead, and the Justice album reflects this in a strikingly audible way.

Overall Justice is a really good album, in my opinion it's the last really "intellectual" Metallica album (and I'm sorry that this sounds really elitist and **** to be honest, but it's an opinion I've formed after being a fan of Metallica for 34 years), but for me the Justice album signalled the start of the downfall of what was the quintessential thrash band of the '80s, that is the transition of the Burton influenced Metallica to the Bob Rock influenced Metallica. Don't get me wrong I love Metallica, all of their albums, but there is a big difference in style between pre-Black and Black onwards.

Definitely agree though, their behaviour during the Napster days was pretty bad and really put people offside (though I  agreed with them, Napster in the early days allowed unapologetic theft of their music).

Thanks for the extra context, being much younger and much later to the Metallica thing, anything more granular than the obvious lineup changes and progressions of the music industry in general never really got through to me with Metallica like it did with other bands where I was compelled to start searching it out (Pink Floyd, Yardbirds?, Led Zeppelin etc.)

W.A.S.P - The Idol (reidolized)

Love this masterpiece to death and just did a comparison between the original & this re-recorded release and it's pretty clear the latter kills in sonic's even if I don't like the new PG rated version . Killer album nonetheless..... 

20191017_210223.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 3

Arguably my fav wasp release but didn't get re idolised due to the alterations Blackie made but given your feedback I maybe should grab it

Was actually listening to babylon tonight, no poor albums in his career 

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ohh yeah sounds perfect for a Friday night listen! Never forget hearing that album on the Metal For Melbourne radio show all those years ago. Amazing stuff!

Too true, Alan Thomas (Rip) introduced alot to us all I think. Sunday nights, I couldn't wait, go to bed, dial in the clock radio and wait for the country music show to end then hang off every song and new release for two hours ??

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 4:10 PM, Tubularbells said:

Bathory - The Return (original pressing)

Quorthorn would have been proud of the sonics  as he rises beyond the floor for 2 sides of darkness and evil....

20191013_160549.jpg

First time I ever heard this was "Rites of Darkness" on a 2RRR The Witching Hour Bathory Special, I'm guessing in 1989/1990. No bongs were harmed during this broadcast from what I can recall. Cueing it up now, Flag9 1987 UK pressing. It doesn't get much blacker than Quad ESL63 + Gradient SW63 ?

1157689225_IMG_20191025_2219331.thumb.jpg.919e1d57da33a9ee02d570ac9ff37d90.jpg

\mm/ _o0o_ \mm/

Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 3