Metal: Currently Spinning

killer release. Had my concerns after Abbath left.

I didn’t dig the Demonaz solo but this is great stuff. 

Lots of nods to their early days in song titles etc. production wise I  hear blizzard beasts meets sons of northern darkness. 

New Abbath round the corner too...

Edited by 08Boss302

A late night pummelling...

Flotsam and Jetsam - Self Titled - 2016 MCA Records.

771659878_FlotsamandJetsam2016MCARecords.jpg.c88d17f6980413a85d9461194f795484.jpg

Not too loud for this time of night, don't want any knocking at the door.  Awesome Album.

• Like 1

This might be bending the rules a little but it’s spinning and it’s awesome.

Been my fave thrash band since the 80s with MegadetH very close behind.  Only Maiden surpasses them both. 

That said these guys have never dropped the ball IMHO. Saw them here in 1990 and every time since and they simply rule...

496052F4-B857-4FB4-9FF2-D2F3CF468177.jpeg

1 hour ago, 08Boss302 said:

This might be bending the rules a little but it’s spinning and it’s awesome.

Been my fave thrash band since the 80s with MegadetH very close behind.  Only Maiden surpasses them both. 

That said these guys have never dropped the ball IMHO. Saw them here in 1990 and every time since and they simply rule...

496052F4-B857-4FB4-9FF2-D2F3CF468177.jpeg

Hey Boss, thanks for the heads up on this one.  Will be hunting it for sure.

I saw them twice in Newcastle, 'Persistence of Time' in 1990, and then the 'Stomp 242' tour.  It was a small venue, but packed.  Two very memorable nights.  I still have both T-Shirts, the 'Persistence' with Judge Dread on the front.

They were my favourite Thrash band for many years, I loved their sense of humour and Charlie on the drums.

I only had my first listen to this Album recently...

Anthrax 'Worship Music' 2011 Nuclear Blast Records.

98695532_AnthraxWorshipMusic2011NuclearBlastRecords..jpg.161c15310ba5167222606aeba79bbae3.jpg

...and Man!!!  I was totally blown away.  Great Stuff.

Love the cover art for the DVD, they always paid tribute to KISS.  I have three 12inch singles, one with a cover of 'Parasite'.

Thanks again Man, you legend.

Ant

A massive shout out of thanks to @Sir Sanders Zingmore for enquiring about the mystery band Igorrr.  I hooked to lap top up to the Cosmic Rig for a blast on youtube...

Igorrr 'Savage Sinusoid' 2017 Metal Blade Records.

416170768_IgorrrSavageSinusoid2017MetalBladeRecords..jpg.9ecd0ebda18d4d2ef7929ed34e3a99d3.jpg

I've never heard anything like this before and it sounded awesome.  Death Metal, Opera and Electro.

Guys!!!  You seriously should check out these guys, I'm sure they will give any high end system a great blast, with huge, deep, heavy bass drops.  Awesome and unusual band.

Once again this forum has delivered the goods.

Cheers Big Ears, Ant.

30 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Boss, thanks for the heads up on this one.  Will be hunting it for sure.

I saw them twice in Newcastle, 'Persistence of Time' in 1990, and then the 'Stomp 242' tour.  It was a small venue, but packed.  Two very memorable nights.  I still have both T-Shirts, the 'Persistence' with Judge Dread on the front.

They were my favourite Thrash band for many years, I loved their sense of humour and Charlie on the drums.

I only had my first listen to this Album recently...

Anthrax 'Worship Music' 2011 Nuclear Blast Records.

98695532_AnthraxWorshipMusic2011NuclearBlastRecords..jpg.161c15310ba5167222606aeba79bbae3.jpg

...and Man!!!  I was totally blown away.  Great Stuff.

Love the cover art for the DVD, they always paid tribute to KISS.  I have three 12inch singles, one with a cover of 'Parasite'.

Thanks again Man, you legend.

Ant

That was the first album with Joey back on vox, sensational release. The most recent album called for all kings is top shelf too.

that Stomp 442 tour was great, Cyko Miko (Mike Muirs then side project) supported them. Good times.

21 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

A massive shout out of thanks to @Sir Sanders Zingmore for enquiring about the mystery band Igorrr.  I hooked to lap top up to the Cosmic Rig for a blast on youtube...

Igorrr 'Savage Sinusoid' 2017 Metal Blade Records.

416170768_IgorrrSavageSinusoid2017MetalBladeRecords..jpg.9ecd0ebda18d4d2ef7929ed34e3a99d3.jpg

I've never heard anything like this before and it sounded awesome.  Death Metal, Opera and Electro.

Guys!!!  You seriously should check out these guys, I'm sure they will give any high end system a great blast, with huge, deep, heavy bass drops.  Awesome and unusual band.

Once again this forum has delivered the goods.

Cheers Big Ears, Ant.

This is truly a unique artist, cannot be classified in any genre really. Pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

Have been listening to this dude for years, he's one of the artists that helped keep me connected (and interested) in Metal...

Devin Townsend 'Ocean Machine - Biomech' 1997 Hevy Devy Records. 2000 InsideOut Music. Made in Germany.

738155189_DevinTownsendOceanMachine-Biomech1997HevyDevyRecords.2000InsideOutMusic.MadeinGermany_x800.jpg.3e60cabc08a37369d0f53d7e6c540c1d.jpg

Edited review by Vito_James (RateYourMusic)

In the early 1990s, a strapping young lad by the name of Devin Townsend was approached by the legendary guitarist Steve Vai. Vai found there to be an excellence in Devin's singing and invited him to record all of the vocals on his next album, Sex and Religion. This first real introduction to the world of music sent this Canadian young man's life into what it is today. A short while after singing for Vai, Devin got the courage to compile some of his own musical ideas together. His sound has plenty of influence, but putting your finger on an exact style of what he was doing was...well...near impossible. It was progressive in structure and principle, heavy in content, all across the board in terms of mood, yet cohesive in atmosphere. Devin picked these ideas and worked on them, ensuring that every last fragment of sound contained in each track was exactly as he wished. Thirteen tracks confirmed, he was pleased. The result? This album.

Ocean Machine: Biomech is an assault of different feelings and sounds. Lots of people tend to identify this album with industrial metal, but I disagree. I believe that the misconception of Devin making industrial music comes from his production techniques; Devy is a big fan of the wall of sound, but he uses it in a tastefully melodic way that doesn't compromise his ideas in the slightest (it actually enhances them in a way that I can barely describe). Without a doubt, his music falls into the metal category more than not. On Ocean Machine, you'll find an unusual array of moods. Take, for example, "Night". This song could, at BEST, be described as upbeat ethereal thrash influenced by dream pop. Not exactly the easiest thing to get across, and that isn't even accurate. Like I said, talking about this record and its contents are damn near impossible. Cohesively and adamantly, this album has exponential greatness if listened to the way it's meant to be heard. With every Devin Townsend CD, I feel like there's a different topic or issue that he's trying to infuse into his sound. For this album, a simple answer: the ocean. This record screams to me a life of hydrophilia (and I mean that in the healthiest and non-insanest way possible [hey, insanest is a word?]).

Amongst the heavier and darker songs here (although I called it dreamy and upbeat, "Night" is from the dark side of tunes we have here), "Seventh Wave" churns and turns itself to a close from the moment you set foot into this album. Try looking back or getting out and you will fail; the only way to stop listening to Ocean Machine from this point on is to follow it all the way to its end. "Regulator" is another song that will please metal advocates; this is arguably the most 'industrial' song that the album has to offer, with its smashing percussion and furious mid-tempo nature. "Bastard", one of the longest of compositions that Devin has to offer, takes a very regular and slow song and lets it ferment slowly over the course of its play. By the time it has finished, there's nothing to do but drop your jaw in complete awe at the outcome.

While darker, heavier moments have their role on Ocean Machine, there are even more that remain to be very heavy but joyful. Using heavy music to emulate a positive emotion is one of my favorite things that Devin can do (or any artist, really, but Devin does it the best). "Hide Nowhere" utilizes everything from screaming vocals to bass drums to bring its climax forward. "Voices in the Fan" takes a very sad narrative and surrounds it with joy; that little core in the middle mixed with the happiness all around it? Bliss. "Funeral"..."Greetings"..."Things Beyond Things"...these titles mean nothing to anybody if they have no idea what music accompanies them. My words seem trite and uneventful even reading them back to myself; how could I have possibly impacted you, the reader?

Then, of course, there's "Life", one of the greatest songs ever written...

There is nothing more that I can say on the music's behalf. The range of emotions and sounds expressed on this progressive metal release are beyond that which have ever been used before the day of its conception, and even to this day, artists struggle to replicate the sort of originality and empathy that this album manages to have obtained. There is nothing out there like this; not even other Devin Townsend albums. This is a tremendous gem in the world of music and, have you not heard it, you owe it to yourself to introduce yourself.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Have been listening to this dude for years, he's one of the artists that helped keep me connected (and interested) in Metal...

Devin Townsend 'Ocean Machine - Biomech' 1997 Hevy Devy Records. 2000 InsideOut Music. Made in Germany.

738155189_DevinTownsendOceanMachine-Biomech1997HevyDevyRecords.2000InsideOutMusic.MadeinGermany_x800.jpg.3e60cabc08a37369d0f53d7e6c540c1d.jpg

Edited review by Vito_James (RateYourMusic)

In the early 1990s, a strapping young lad by the name of Devin Townsend was approached by the legendary guitarist Steve Vai. Vai found there to be an excellence in Devin's singing and invited him to record all of the vocals on his next album, Sex and Religion. This first real introduction to the world of music sent this Canadian young man's life into what it is today. A short while after singing for Vai, Devin got the courage to compile some of his own musical ideas together. His sound has plenty of influence, but putting your finger on an exact style of what he was doing was...well...near impossible. It was progressive in structure and principle, heavy in content, all across the board in terms of mood, yet cohesive in atmosphere. Devin picked these ideas and worked on them, ensuring that every last fragment of sound contained in each track was exactly as he wished. Thirteen tracks confirmed, he was pleased. The result? This album.

Ocean Machine: Biomech is an assault of different feelings and sounds. Lots of people tend to identify this album with industrial metal, but I disagree. I believe that the misconception of Devin making industrial music comes from his production techniques; Devy is a big fan of the wall of sound, but he uses it in a tastefully melodic way that doesn't compromise his ideas in the slightest (it actually enhances them in a way that I can barely describe). Without a doubt, his music falls into the metal category more than not. On Ocean Machine, you'll find an unusual array of moods. Take, for example, "Night". This song could, at BEST, be described as upbeat ethereal thrash influenced by dream pop. Not exactly the easiest thing to get across, and that isn't even accurate. Like I said, talking about this record and its contents are damn near impossible. Cohesively and adamantly, this album has exponential greatness if listened to the way it's meant to be heard. With every Devin Townsend CD, I feel like there's a different topic or issue that he's trying to infuse into his sound. For this album, a simple answer: the ocean. This record screams to me a life of hydrophilia (and I mean that in the healthiest and non-insanest way possible [hey, insanest is a word?]).

Amongst the heavier and darker songs here (although I called it dreamy and upbeat, "Night" is from the dark side of tunes we have here), "Seventh Wave" churns and turns itself to a close from the moment you set foot into this album. Try looking back or getting out and you will fail; the only way to stop listening to Ocean Machine from this point on is to follow it all the way to its end. "Regulator" is another song that will please metal advocates; this is arguably the most 'industrial' song that the album has to offer, with its smashing percussion and furious mid-tempo nature. "Bastard", one of the longest of compositions that Devin has to offer, takes a very regular and slow song and lets it ferment slowly over the course of its play. By the time it has finished, there's nothing to do but drop your jaw in complete awe at the outcome.

While darker, heavier moments have their role on Ocean Machine, there are even more that remain to be very heavy but joyful. Using heavy music to emulate a positive emotion is one of my favorite things that Devin can do (or any artist, really, but Devin does it the best). "Hide Nowhere" utilizes everything from screaming vocals to bass drums to bring its climax forward. "Voices in the Fan" takes a very sad narrative and surrounds it with joy; that little core in the middle mixed with the happiness all around it? Bliss. "Funeral"..."Greetings"..."Things Beyond Things"...these titles mean nothing to anybody if they have no idea what music accompanies them. My words seem trite and uneventful even reading them back to myself; how could I have possibly impacted you, the reader?

Then, of course, there's "Life", one of the greatest songs ever written...

There is nothing more that I can say on the music's behalf. The range of emotions and sounds expressed on this progressive metal release are beyond that which have ever been used before the day of its conception, and even to this day, artists struggle to replicate the sort of originality and empathy that this album manages to have obtained. There is nothing out there like this; not even other Devin Townsend albums. This is a tremendous gem in the world of music and, have you not heard it, you owe it to yourself to introduce yourself.

I’ve always enjoyed Devin’s music but I have also found it hard to listen to sometimes, it is a massive wall of sound that can blur into one, fortunately my recent upgrades have fixed that. I will be picking up tomorrow today’s missed delivery of eras on vinyl, the box set comes with seven LPs and includes the albums "Ki""Addicted""Deconstruction" and "Ghost”, looking forward to hearing these albums on vinyl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awayward said:

I’ve always enjoyed Devin’s music but I have also found it hard to listen to sometimes, it is a massive wall of sound that can blur into one, fortunately my recent upgrades have fixed that. I will be picking up tomorrow today’s missed delivery of eras on vinyl, the box set comes with seven LPs and includes the albums "Ki""Addicted""Deconstruction" and "Ghost”, looking forward to hearing these albums on vinyl.

Nice mate, I'm turning green with envy about the box set, you lucky boy.

My introduction to him was through the first SYL CD, which was given to me by a mate working on film sets in Sydney.  He was a gay dude and I'm sure he bought it for the name, but he did not understand it at all.

I admit that I didn't get it at first either, but after a few listens I was hooked.  Gene Hoglan on drums - Massive.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never been to a Devin or SYL gig either.  Shame on me.  The closest I have come is through the DVD's, SYL 'For Those Aboot to Rock' (he is Canadian), which I watched the first time on acid (I normally can't get into extreme Metal in that zone), and it was awesome.  I also have 'The Retinal Circus' DVD, which is basically a stage musical, funny and great, with Devin in a white suit.  He has a great sense of humour and a huge, diverse voice.

Do you know anything about Devin taunting or abusing a crowd before a SYL gig to get them in the right frame of mind???  I'm not sure if it's urban myth. 

Let me know what you think of the Vinyl set man???

Cheers Buddy, Ant. 

On 10/07/2018 at 7:31 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Yes they have! -

1934599400_AnthraxImTheMan.jpg.85ee9c594fe3f72a9e8fd9a6fa76afe3.jpg

Lol...but I'm an Anthrax fan too, saw them at the Entertainment Centre on the Persistence tour, it was fantastic.  Would love to remember who supported them...

12 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yes they have! -

Lol...but I'm an Anthrax fan too, saw them at the Entertainment Centre on the Persistence tour, it was fantastic.  Would love to remember who supported them...

Lol....

ok ya got me but on the positive how good is the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath cover!!

Mass Appeal was support on that tour. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yes they have! -

Killswitch Engage???

Edit - I just googled that, and it may have been another article.  It's listed that Massappeal played The Horden in Sydney with them.  An underrated Aussie band I saw several times. 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2

Massappeal 'Jazz' 1989 Waterfront Records Aust.

1884821667_MassappealJazz1989WaterfrontRecordsAust..JPG.9d417f77ec8c62ef278aca5b9a3ab3f4.JPG

One of my favs that I have on Vinyl and CD.  The picture fits the music perfectly.  I found them at The Big Day Out.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

1884821667_MassappealJazz1989WaterfrontRecordsAust..JPG.9d417f77ec8c62ef278aca5b9a3ab3f4.JPG

One of my favs that I have on Vinyl and CD.  The picture fits the music perfectly.  I found them at The Big Day Out.

I am almost certain they definately played Melbourne with them too.  Ahead of their time in a way they were.

killswitch supported them on a tour with John Bush, after the we've come for you all album from memory - music of mass destruction tour.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting@BuzzzFuzzz - One of - if not the - greatest Australian hardcore albums ever. But after the CD reissue on I think chatterbox I can't listen to the vinyl. The remaster is that much better, Brett's guitars are hugely in your face. I wish someone would put the money up to do the same with The Mechanic - great songs, clinical clean and thin sounding production.

I got to see Massappeal plenty, and saw them again when they were back together in 06 or 07. The setlist included this album from When All's Done through to Cactus in succession, brilliant.

I have been a massive fan boy since I first saw their flyers in On The Street and Drum Media in the mid 80s,one of those bands where you saw the artwork and had to hear them!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blackangus said:

Thanks for posting@BuzzzFuzzz - One of - if not the - greatest Australian hardcore albums ever. But after the CD reissue on I think chatterbox I can't listen to the vinyl. The remaster is that much better, Brett's guitars are hugely in your face. I wish someone would put the money up to do the same with The Mechanic - great songs, clinical clean and thin sounding production.

I got to see Massappeal plenty, and saw them again when they were back together in 06 or 07. The setlist included this album from When All's Done through to Cactus in succession, brilliant.

I have been a massive fan boy since I first saw their flyers in On The Street and Drum Media in the mid 80s,one of those bands where you saw the artwork and had to hear them!

Hey BlackAngus, great post man, thanks.  I have an early CD issue (no production date though) of JAZZ, by Survival, Belgium, Austria.  I didn't know it had been remastered, thanks for the heads up on that, will have to hunt that one, as it's not the easiest Album to listen to, but once it engages, there's no holding back.  I remember they were criticised at the time for riffs that go no-where, but I strongly disagreed.  As I wrote, once you get in there it's a thrilling ride.

I have 'The Mechanic' on CD as well (again on Survival, Austria), but I didn't get into it as much as JAZZ, which I know inside out.  I will have a good listen to all of them for comparison when I'm in the right mood.

They played at Gosford Showground Hall one night with about 50 people.  Gosford was not known for Metal or Hardcore gigs, and the Hall was never used for a band before, or after that, not that I know of anyhow.  It is a blurry memory for me, I was pretty well off chops, but I remember it was a great night.

Yeah Man, I loved the artwork too, always a bonus for any band to engage with the art, the first part of an album that I connect with (normally).

I  commuted from Gosford to Sydney for a few years around this time, and the train ride gave me an opportunity to read On The Street and Drum Media from cover to cover, so I was pretty well up to date with what was happening.  I actually had a great collection of the gig flyers, which I photocopied at work (on night shift - 10pm - 6am), the same size as a full page in the papers.  If they were smaller flyers I would enlarge them.  They decorated the walls of my share house, with two other music heads, for many years.  I still have some of them.  Will dig them out and see if I can scan them for a few posts, (They are way too large to fit my scanner, but will see what I can do).  I don't think I still have any Massappeal ones though.

Cheers Buddy.

Ant.

One said flyer...

2147416555_MudhoneyT-Shirt..JPG.daf292e7c2f03af5e1200ec999f0c633.JPG

My Ma made the shirt and I did the silk screen, still in great shape and one of my go-to shirts for gigs, though there's not many these days.  I last wore it to see Earthless a few years back in Brisbane.  The band were very friendly and mixing with the crowd, the bass player (can't remember his name) and I were talking and he loved the T-shirt.  Nice.

The stencil was cut from one of the papers' flyers.  Great gig too, at The Venue, Dee Why in Sydney.

• Like 3

On 10/07/2018 at 9:15 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Here's the Album on youtube...

Thanks for the link. While not entirely my thing It is definitely an interesting listen with it being all over the map. Godflesh was my initial impression with some Faith No More and black metal blast beats thrown in for good measure. F**k it I give up, its indescribable.......

• Like 2