Sign in to follow this  
Richard Cranium

What Receiver would you buy for $1600?

Long story short I lost a heap of gear in a recent storm, the lightning gods killed several of my audio and video components, amongst which I lost an Onkyo Receiver. The insurance company are replacing it to a value just under $1600 and I can choose a Receiver up to that value, the value relates to replacing a behemoth Onkyo TX NR 838.

I've had several Onkyo's in the past but would happily look at other brands as I have had some reliability issues previously, as many others have, in particular HDMI boards dying which has plagued the brand in the past.

I have previously owned a Pioneer which I hated so I definitely don't want to go down that route (apologies Pioneer owners, just my opinion) but open to other brands. It's only used for H/T duties and not for music so musicality isn't a priority. Never owned a Denon, Yamaha or Marantz but would be interested to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on those or other brands also, cheers.

EDIT: Must have pre outs.

Edited by Richard Cranium

I would be looking at an NAD or a Cambridge personally, but if it isn't going to be used for music then you'd probably be better off investigating video capabilities and surround sound functionality, and maybe whichever brand offers the longest warranty?  

Best of luck!

Good call, hadn't even thought of either of those, bit hard to come by I guess but well worth looking into, cheers.

Yum. Needs to come from a retail outlet with associated paperwork, however I'll see if I can get the cash instead, that looks great, thanks.

$1600 on pure rrp isn't a heap. don't insurance companies usually have their own contacts so you get a replacement at wholesale or cost ? that way $1600 buys a much more expensive model, which is warranted if your original onkyo was a behemoth.

the arc am would be my pick. otherwise for the money and now would be time to buy if from a store, to hopefully pick up a store special or something. 

e.g. the cambridge 651r that can has on clearance here,

http://fanaticschoice.com.au/index.php/clearance-corner/cambridge-audio-651r.html

RRP is about $1900 but the Insurance company negotiated the price as mentioned. That 651 looks lovely also, would much prefer this or the Arcam so will talk to my Insurance company, a number of great choices here that I hadn't considered, thanks guys.

Cambridge 551Rv2 or Marantz SR6009. The Cambridge is a little more basic but makes up for that in performance. The Marantz is a proven all rounder. The Anthem MRX310 might suit your needs.

All of the above will slip into your budget no problems.

Cheers Sean

I'd get a Yamaha Aventage 1040 for that price, a hifi joint would knock it down to that price for ya.

Edited by Shmockolovitch

Thanks everyone, will make a decision once the Insurance company confirms the cash, hopefully Monday, cheers

Guest Willow

G'day Richie , an owner of the Denon AVR-X4000 here , and as a previous owner of a Onkyo 875 ( damn HDMI boards ) I must confess that I'm suitably impressed. The Denon's strengths are in the midrange which I find is perfect for movies.

With the new 4100 model now out you should be able to pick up the 4000 in your price range.

Good luck.  

Hi there, I would suggest the Integra DTR 40.6, has 4K, good power ratings and I think it does a good job with music and movies.. Also Dolby Atmos ready if that's of any interest to you.. ISF is included and THX.. Will do a good job with movies on a medium room, you can also add more power via the 7.2ch pre outs so I would think that it's a pretty flexible receiver too..

My 2 cents...

Im a proud owner of a yamaha RXV-663.. its limited in connectivity but the sound is awesome.. ive also heard from the likes of denon and integra from that price range and they both sound phenomenal.. I shall be upgrading my amp in the next couple of months and ill be either going the yamaha route (never had any reliability issues in the 3-4 years ive had it) or denon personally. i really enjoyed the sound from denon amps. 

People tend to overlook the NAD range due to the lack of feature count but performance-wise they are astonishing for the money. Incredibly musical.

FYI,  I repaired an old Onkyo 706 I had in the cupboard for $200 and purchased a new 2 channel valve amp instead. 706 works fine and I'm very pleased with the new stereo amp so win win. Really enjoy H/T but Stereo/Vinyl is the passion. Thanks for all the ideas and help everyone.

The only one who can't work out what's happened is the wife....... So, why is there a new thingy with red hot light bulbs on top in the corner? What the hell does that do? I thought you were getting a new TV sound doofer?  Why do we have like 6 amp thingies in one room?

Poor girl, she's totally lost and just doesn't get it. You know that look fellas, you've all seen it, eye's glazed over and that bemused WTF look as you try to explain.

HI Randle

Were you thinking of protecting against lightning strikes?

I'm pretty sure nothing can protect your gear against lightning

Aren't there degrees of protection? I know nothing is perfect, but companies offer claims such as $25,000 / $10,000 / $75,000 (click links) connected equipment warranty and so forth

I plug my two Isotek powerboards into protection switches so there are two lines of defence. I'd hate the inconvenience of my system dying more than the pleasure of buying new stuff at this point in time. But if it did die, I could buy new right? Anyone got any experience with these warranties?

Is there something wrong with what I'm doing? I haven't heard it change the sound in my system. Is there a reason you wouldn't put something self-sacrificial in the chain?

One would think if you got a good board with protection everything down the line would be safe, I've just acquired a marantz 6009 been in to shop twice one ran hot from start and one just died admittedly I was running some low ohm speakers surrounds, I would've hoped the inbuilt protection would safe guard in a high end receiver

One would think if you got a good board with protection everything down the line would be safe, I've just acquired a marantz 6009 been in to shop twice one ran hot from start and one just died admittedly I was running some low ohm speakers surrounds, I would've hoped the inbuilt protection would safe guard in a high end receiver

I have read that one should use speakers of the same specs, otherwise the avr gets confused. Apparently some avrs do not have dedicated amp for each output channel, judging from the specs such as "125w when 2 channels driven...".