Sign in to follow this  
hyper

Projector Recommendations

Hi There,

It's been quite a few years since I've had a projector so very much out of the loop on latest models and what's good in the market. I was hoping to get some thoughts from members on some good models to look into, it's primarily for HT and TV. Looking to spend under 3k, primarily picture quality is the major factor although it would be good to get recommendations on models that can throw a decent size and relatively short distances, no real preferences on tech, I used to prefer DLP but I'm not sure where the maturity of tech currently is at so open to LCD and variants as well.

Any feedback would be great!

Edited by hyper

I prefer

DLP myself and have a benq w7500 at $2200 it's well within your budget and hard to beat

I prefer

DLP myself and have a benq w7500 at $2200 it's well within your budget and hard to beat

Hey warren thanks what's the throw like on it? Looking for around 80" at 3-3.5m

Hey warren thanks what's the throw like on it? Looking for around 80" at 3-3.5m

a benq w7500 looks like will do 2.9-4.3m throw for a 80" screen.

as a point of note to fully resolve 1080p you don't want to be sitting further back than about 3.1m and viewing distance at 3x image height which is rule of thumb would be about 3m. and recommended THX viewing distance would be closer to about 2.4m 

I'd check the projector central calculator for specific models / brand suitability. but to be sure would also check to make sure projectors in question will do image shift (vertical+horizontal) you might specifically need :)

The HT PJ market has changed a lot since I bought my last PJ.

It seems you have to basically pre order without viewing any new model unless dealing with a HT installer directly.

Little to no chance of a demo.

As for comparisons ....in your dreams.

Best bet, as has always been, is to visit the Projector Central site.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Who carries what, which model, at what price etc ... Google I suppose, but even that is unreliable when it comes to Aus suppliers.

IMHO ... If I were to buy a new PJ, I'd be looking at the new Laser based ones .... no lamp replacement or calibration problems.

The HT PJ market has changed a lot since I bought my last PJ.

It seems you have to basically pre order without viewing any new model unless dealing with a HT installer directly.

Little to no chance of a demo.

As for comparisons ....in your dreams.

Best bet, as has always been, is to visit the Projector Central site.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Who carries what, which model, at what price etc ... Google I suppose, but even that is unreliable when it comes to Aus suppliers.

IMHO ... If I were to buy a new PJ, I'd be looking at the new Laser based ones .... no lamp replacement or calibration problems.

pity if the case where you are tweaky. but not the case here, don't have to blindly pre order. atleast not in melbourne can think of few retailers here whom demo the current model projectors so can see in person before purchasing. and will do comparisons. I not only  got to see in person, but also managed to borrow the current projector I have to try at home before purchasing. I wanted to to be sure and pleased to find the retailer whom obliged though suspect this is rare when comes to delicate projectors :)

and yes  projector central I wouldn't trust whole heartedly to base a purchase on, would be better off putting onus on retailer to make sure they confirm the model is suitable for particular installation :)

Hi.

I'm happy with my Sony.  Picked it up just in time for the start of the A league season (my sport on telly is A League and TDF only and they are both in HD).  The Sony is their new model XRD (or whatever ) and price came in within your budget.  Got it from Video Pro.  I have a 90 inch picture at 3.2m.

Black levels are only OK but i have a white ceiling so its the room not the projector.  That being said its still a great picture for blueray and HD sport.

Edited by Briz Vegas

pity if the case where you are tweaky. but not the case here, don't have to blindly pre order. atleast not in melbourne can think of few retailers here whom demo the current model projectors so can see in person before purchasing. and will do comparisons. I not only  got to see in person, but also managed to borrow the current projector I have to try at home before purchasing. I wanted to to be sure and pleased to find the retailer whom obliged though suspect this is rare when comes to delicate projectors :)

and yes  projector central I wouldn't trust whole heartedly to base a purchase on, would be better off putting onus on retailer to make sure they confirm the model is suitable for particular installation :)

Sorry state here.

I live pretty much in the Sydney CBD.

No HiFi stores either anymore...well Quality HiFi in York st... that's it.