acg

Deep End DIY - My first speaker project

This is a huge project ... so much wood work involved ...

How tall will they stand once finished?

Based on the dimension on page 1 guessing roughly 2 meters tall.

Somewhere about 2m is pretty right. If I experiment with an Injection Channel then over 2m tall for sure.

Did not get much done today...lost most of the day to friends. Here are a couple of photos of a midrange horn ready to go on the lathe.

post-139669-0-41304100-1419756004_thumb.post-139669-0-35074600-1419756072_thumb.

EDIT: correct photos this time

Edited by acg

Have been very much sidetracked by the festive season and my best intentions of knocking out some big days on this project were effectively scuttled by the lovely distraction of friends, an early departure for a beach holiday and the corresponding belated return.  Will spend tomorrow morning finishing all the cutting for the six horns and then see where I can find time to further modify the lathe so I can turn them all into shape.

Learnt a good lesson today...had been borrowing a friends jigsaw for the cutting (circa $100 Makita) but this afternoon had to buy my own.  I got a $120 Bosch and OMG this thing absolutely flies...I had been taking about two hours to cut out a full sheet of rings with the Makita but the Bosch does the same thing in about half an hour...tools certainly ain't tools!

Fascinating project. Very interested to see how these will attach to the lathe and how you use your profiles. I happen to have a lathe in dads shed. Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What family of horn contours did you use in the design?

Tractrix for all three pair. Needed to keep the mouth area somewhat under control so L'cleach were ruled out early in the piece.

I should add that I modelled the horns in HornResp and used the export function to import the profile into AutoCAD where I fitted a spline and modified the mouth so that it terminated properly at square to the centreline (HornResp does not quite get this right). I believe that the mouth termination could be of some importance, especially considering JMLC's efforts.

Have been very much sidetracked by the festive season and my best intentions of knocking out some big days on this project were effectively scuttled by the lovely distraction of friends, an early departure for a beach holiday and the corresponding belated return.  Will spend tomorrow morning finishing all the cutting for the six horns and then see where I can find time to further modify the lathe so I can turn them all into shape.

Learnt a good lesson today...had been borrowing a friends jigsaw for the cutting (circa $100 Makita) but this afternoon had to buy my own.  I got a $120 Bosch and OMG this thing absolutely flies...I had been taking about two hours to cut out a full sheet of rings with the Makita but the Bosch does the same thing in about half an hour...tools certainly ain't tools!

A Makita should easily keep up with a Bosch. Bet you weren't using the same blades for both cuts.

A Makita should easily keep up with a Bosch. Bet you weren't using the same blades for both cuts.

I agree. Have both makita and Bosch power tools and have always thought the makita's to be slightly better. A new blade does the trick.

I agree. Have both makita and Bosch power tools and have always thought the makita's to be slightly better. A new blade does the trick.

Same blades.  Looked up the specs:  the Makita is 450w with 18mm stroke; Bosh is 620w with a fancy pendulum stroke (whatever that means). 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.