acg

Deep End DIY - My first speaker project

So, something turned up the other day.  Whatever could it be for?  A Christmas project perhaps...

12 sheets of 32mm MDF 1200mm x 2400mm

post-139669-0-36630100-1418974688_thumb.

That might explain why I have been preparing Cut Sheets in AutoCAD...making a circle cutting jig for the routers...profile jigs for lathes and grinders...sharpening cutting tools.

post-139669-0-32934800-1418975555_thumb.

I am probably mad to consider building this behemoth...its weight will not be insignificant.  You can see the individual 32mm slices in green.

post-139669-0-05285300-1418976135_thumb.

Below is my first draft of the assembled horns.  Depending on what I find when messing with crossovers and time alignment in particular, I would like to get rid of the frame and anchor the upper components to the big Upperbass horn and make it look pretty.  

Those that have an eye for horns will notice the similarities with a famous feline system.  This is not by mistake.  I figure I can mess with this stuff for a decade before I get it right or I can blatantly copy someone that has by all accounts got it very right and massage it to my preferences and save about 8 years out of that decade.  Fingers crossed!!

Then there will be the mid and lower bass to sort out...but that will be done when I move into the new room upstairs.

post-139669-0-06475900-1418976661_thumb.

Hi Anthony that's a really brave project! Have you got someone in Brisbane to CNC it for you, If not I can recommend someone. Hope all goes well.

Will all be cut by hand John...a labour of love in front of the Boxing Day Test match.  If all works out as planned (ha...like that will happen!) I will show a cheap and groovy method of building these things that anyone can use without need of a gargantuan lathe.  The profile templates will be CNC cut but no-one I have contacted so far can do it before Christmas...so maybe I will be cutting them by hand also.

come on Anthony, you can do it mate :)

Alan

You are at least partially to blame for this escapade Alan...helping me find all these vintage drivers from around the globe...the project might still be a daydream without your input mate.

I saw a need and yearning on your part, and you have the guts and desire to back yourself and work out all you dont have answers for right now. Those S2's and Fanes were details of the plan that emerged from the fog of the desire....You are firmly at the start line so good on you for that. Go well. It will all work out with a bit of persistence and seeking answers from those who have had the specific experience. Daydream might be....well....a bit premature? Lets call it a nightmare and then there wont be any disappointments or I told you's :) 

Keep us all posted. I would like a bit more details on those back chambers when you get to them-the volume bit. Cheers

Alan

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarcAL
      Item: Altec Lansing MR II 564 Large Format Mantaray Horns
      Price: $225 for the pair
      Item Condition: Used, good original condition, see pictures
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal Only
      Extra Info: Altec Lansing MR II 564 Mantaray Constant Directivity Horns for large format 1.4" compression drivers.
      Nominal Dispersion Angle: 60 x 40 degrees.
      Useable Low Frequency Limit: 500Hz.
      Construction: Heavy duty, weather resistant polyester/fiberglass.
      Finish: Standard Altec grey with a few minor scratches, can be resprayed another colour for an additional cost.
      Suitable Drivers: Many 1.4" throat compression drivers or Altec Lansing Large Format Compression Driver models 288, 290, 291, 299 etc.
      Data Sheet: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/Archive/Altec/MRII 564.pdf
      Weight: 2.1kg each.
      Shipment: Will send interstate at purchasers expense, free delivery within Sydney.

Pictures:

• By MarcAL
      Item: Altec Lansing MR II 564 Large Format Mantaray Horns
      Price: $225 for the pair
      Item Condition: Used, good original condition, see pictures
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal Only
      Extra Info: Altec Lansing MR II 564 Mantaray Constant Directivity Horns.
      Nominal Dispersion Angle: 60 x 40 degrees.
      Useable Low Frequency Limit: 500Hz.
      Construction: Heavy duty, weather resistant polyester/fiberglass.
      Finish: Standard Altec grey with a few minor scratches.
      Suitable Drivers: Many 1.4" throat compression drivers or Altec Lansing Large Format Compression Driver models 288, 290, 291, 299 etc.
      Data Sheet: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/Archive/Altec/MRII 564.pdf
      Weight: 2.1kg each.
      Shipment: Will send interstate at purchasers expense, free delivery within Sydney.

Pictures:

• By Sir Rab of Everest
      Item: JBL Everest horns + optional B&C DCM-50 drivers
      Price: $1300 for horns, $2100 for horns & drivers
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: time for new horn adventures
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

So several of us went down the path of building quasi-JBL Everest DD55000 clones. I love the Everest horns, largely because to me they don't sounds like horns in the sense that they don't have what i call horn colouration. Certainly the speakers shown are by far the best speakers I have ever had,
      and indeed are one of the best speakers I have ever heard. I have had a few get togethers here and it seems this view is shared by others.  

So what is up for sale here are the JBL horns that are used for midrange.

This pair is not the first pair up for sale on StereoNet, but in my opinion these are the best, because: (i) they are filled with crushed garnet, (ii) they come with supports for the compression driver, and (iii) they are spray painted a beautiful grey colour (they look better IRL than they do in these photos).

Speaking of which, if someone wants to buy these horns, they have first dibs on the B&C DCM-50 compression drivers, which are a perfect match to the horns. They are in mint condition, and I am the original owner. I still have the original boxes (although they are under my house somewhere, and in any case they are simple cardboard boxes). See https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/249858-sold-fs-bc-dcm50-compression-drivers-2/ for more information on these amazing drivers.

Pictures: 
    • By MarcAL
      Item: 500Hz Sectoral Horns to suit Altec and other small format compression drivers
      Price: $400 for the pair 
      Item Condition: Refurbished, excellent paint job, no corrosion, see pictures
      Reason for selling: Left over from project
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal Only
      Extra Info: These 500Hz Sectoral horns have been sandblasted and powder coated Satin Black and have absolutely no scratches or corrosion.
      They are missing the original 511B badges however I can supply a new pair with them if desired.
      Data Sheet: http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/proloudspeakers/sectoralhorns/511B&811B-Data.pdf
      Weight: 8.05kg each.
      Shipment: Will send interstate at purchasers expense.

Pictures:

• By Audionutz
      Item: Altec 805B Horns x 2
      Price: $435 neg
      Item Condition: Could do with a tidy-up.
      Reason for selling: No time or room
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Purchased here last year for $500 plus interstate freight.  AS usual, my ambitions were greater than my available time and space but hey, I'm sure most if not all of us can relate!
      Time for the annual Audionutz "Culling of the Herd" - many more to come!

Pictures: