Sign in to follow this  
Tax

Duelund RS DC capacitors

Has anyone had a play with the Duelund RS capacitors?

I am going to install a couple of these in the first stage of the Lamm LP2. I already have VSF's in the second stage.

Can they be installed upside down on on their side, will this cause any leakage issues?

Is there a preferred orientation with the leads to signal/impedance etc?

Thanks

t

For the lords sake dont get young Mario excited and frothing at the mouth with this sort of enthusiastic enquiry :) :). Especially the D word

Alan

Edited by aertex

I have used Dueland resistors with great results so I have confidence that the capacitors will not disappoint

And I will be watching as well

Edited by Full Range

Are you replacing Electrocubes Tax?

Has anyone had a play with the Duelund RS capacitors?

I got them in my upgraded Leak.

They seem to be slightly closer to the Cast than the older VSF Copper.

Does that make them better - who knows - some people prefer the Coper to the Cast - I prefer the Cast personally.

Mike Lenehan mentioned he may do a formal comparison with Cast, RS, VSF, and the new Jupiter copper on some new wild speakers he in building me - but we need to wait and see - he is really really busy right now. 

One thing I can say is for smaller values the new Jupiter copper is much better value - and it is reputed to be close to the RS in quality.  Larger values however are about the same price.

Thanks

Bill 

Are you replacing Electrocubes Tax?

No! Mundorf SGO bypassed with a Vcap cutf

I got them in my upgraded Leak.

They seem to be slightly closer to the Cast than the older VSF Copper.

Does that make them better - who knows - some people prefer the Coper to the Cast - I prefer the Cast personally.

Mike Lenehan mentioned he may do a formal comparison with Cast, RS, VSF, and the new Jupiter copper on some new wild speakers he in building me - but we need to wait and see - he is really really busy right now.

One thing I can say is for smaller values the new Jupiter copper is much better value - and it is reputed to be close to the RS in quality. Larger values however are about the same price.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Partsconnexion have a xmas sale on at the moment on Duelund RS and Cast caps. I have ordered a pair of RS 0.47uF for approx $88 USD each. The equivalent Cast cap is now $189.

Can you recall what the value (uF) of your caps were and what the physical size of each is?

Also how are they mounted (upright, on its side etc).

I have read some posts on Agon that some CAST users found their CAST caps leaking.

I may have to mount mine upside down or on its side so I can fit them in.

Edited by Tax

Thanks Bill!

Partsconnexion have a xmas sale on at the moment on Duelund RS and Cast caps. I have ordered a pair of RS 0.47uF for approx $88 USD each. The equivalent Cast cap is now $189.

Can you recall what the value (uF) of your caps were and what the physical size of each is?

Also how are they mounted (upright, on its side etc).

ellent a

I have read some posts on Agon that some CAST users found their CAST caps leaking.

I may have to mount mine upside down or on its side so I can fit them in.

Hi Tax.

I use the new RS on my phono stage in the output and it replace the Mcap silver/gold/oil . excellent sounding cap .

Duc

They were .25uf.  They were glued upright to the underside and wire used to connect them to where they would normally be.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Tax.

I use the new RS on my phono stage in the output and it replace the Mcap silver/gold/oil . excellent sounding cap .

Duc

Thanks Duc!

I intend to use them in the first stage of my phono. Second stage has VSF. I might have to swap them around depending on space.

Can you recall the physical size of each?

t

They were .25uf.  They were glued upright to the underside and wire used to connect them to where they would normally be.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Pretty sure they will operate in any orientation.

They are a potted copper alloy foil, so everything is held securely in place by the potting resin.

Cheers, Earle.

Pretty sure they will operate in any orientation.

They are a potted copper alloy foil, so everything is held securely in place by the potting resin.

Cheers, Earle.

Thanks Earle!

They are leaving PCX today.

I was getting a bit concerned about orientation after reading about CAST caps leaking.

t

Hi Tax.

Duc

Duc,

Is the sound of the RS forward compared to the Mundorf SGO?

Duc,

Is the sound of the RS forward compared to the Mundorf SGO?

Hi Tax.

no it not any more forwardness compare to the Mcaps SGO . but it is bigger size in the same value . i have to use the common Electrolytic clamp to mount those RS caps .

Duc

Edited by lovetube

Hi Tax.

no it not any more forwardness compare to the Mcaps SGO . bit it is bigget size in the same value . i have to use the common Electrolitic clamp to mount those RS caps .

Duc

Ok, thanks Duc!

Pretty sure the RS is for Radial Stacked foil.

Google is your friend.

Sorry, late entry to this thread....

Nealy all film caps have orientation for outer/inner foil.

I think the Duelund RS have outer foil indicated by outermost leadout wire.

It's best to orientate outer foil to the lowest impedance side of the cct - for best shielding & usually best sound - dynamics, bandwidth, etc..

ie. to Gnd in a shunt situation or to the driving source end when coupling.

Except in lspkr xovers, when it's best if the signal 'exits' the outer foil side.

Merry Xmas ;-)

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Sorry, late entry to this thread....

Nealy all film caps have orientation for outer/inner foil.

I think the Duelund RS have outer foil indicated by outermost leadout wire.

It's best to orientate outer foil to the lowest impedance side of the cct - for best shielding & usually best sound - dynamics, bandwidth, etc..

ie. to Gnd in a shunt situation or to the driving source end when coupling.

Except in lspkr xovers, when it's best if the signal 'exits' the outer foil side.

Merry Xmas ;-)

Cheers, Owen

Aah, but how do you determine the outer foil when it's not marked, Owen?

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I believe that the Dueland RS have Outer Foil indicated by the lead wire that is outermost, ie. the one closest to the outer case edge.

It is mentioned & pictured in Humble Homemade Hifi's test here.

If not marked, then...

1. You need an oscilloscope to check the orientation which gives lowest induced noise eg. when you grab the cap with your hand, or...

2. By ear! Which is the best way at the end of the day. The difference is not subtle.

A few film/foil caps are not wound in conventional inner/outer foil manner - Duelund's VSF, CAST (I think), Russian MBGO...

Ate & drank a lot today  ;)

Cheers, Owen