2sheds Top 10 Tonearms Part 1

Great stuff 'Sheds. No arguments about any of your selections from me :mad:

An addition, though, if I may...

I heard one of these over the past weekend on an Acoustic Signature Final Tool with Zyx cartridge and phono stage:

[ATTACH]3046[/ATTACH]

Wonderful open and dynamic sound. Sure as hell convinced me that analogue is the way to go...eventually.

Cheers, Dave

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheds,

How does one put together a Top 10 as auditioning tonearms has got to be one of the more difficult components to evaluate? My choice on the Kuzma was made through a blend of Company reputation, Warwicks advice, online opinions and the high regard some of the other Kuzma arms are held in. l don't know how l could ever go about narrowing my choice down to say 3 or 4 arms and then evaluate each living in the country, and in such a small market as Oz.

Cheers,

Mondie

Mondie,

Indeed it is a very difficult task. And in my case, I have probably only heard a couple of dozen of the hundreds of candidates. And that probably doesn't count because they were all on different tables with different cartridges. The majority of my selections were made by intensive research over the internet, reading reviews and comments. In particular I put emphasis on comparisons with other top grade arms on the same table with the same cartridge. And as well as professional reviews, there are many 'arm addicts' whose accounts of their upgrade trail makes for good comparison. And this process takes literally weeks and weeks, if you are going to thoroughly. You have seen the extent of my 'Titillating Tonearm' thread. Each of those arms probably accounts for at least an hours research, on average. Some like the Schroeder, SME, Ortofons, Micro Seiki, EMT, etc probably account for many days research each, trying to get a handle on their strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. Also you need totake into account the turntable and cartridge you are matching with - they are NOT all interchangeable. I hesitate to use that synergy word, but... And then you have a picture, and a ranking. Is the Schroeder better than a SME V or a VPi JMW 12.7? Maybe . Maybe not. But my research and musical preferences suggest it is. Not foolproof, but sometimes you need to back your gut feel (and research) :D

Even in Sydney, I can't compare all those arms. And even if I did hear them they would be on differnet turntables with different cartridges, so It means virtually nothing. A person like Warwick, is invaluable. He has a lot of experience with top quality kit (just look at his Vinyl yardstick) and is able to give some great advice. You ended up with a Kuzma 4point, which looks a sensational arm (echoes of Tri-Planar or VPi JMW 12.7). Using my methodology, I couldn't add the Kuzma 4point to the Top 10 because, as you know, it is a new release and I couldn't find a single review. I do like the Stogi Reference though and expect a lot of the 4point.

How did you end up with the 4point? Probably a similar process, I would guess. And I reckon you will be very happy with your choice :mad: Now when your cartridge expires in 2000 hours, a much harder choice. Maybe we need......Charismatic Cartridges :P

cheers

2sheds

I'm still procrastinating [2 years now] over going the whole hog vis a vie a major turntable upgrade.

Problematic procurement aside ,this lot have always been in the back of my mind as the best value,basically because they make the parts for just about all the manufacturers that use "Similar" :mad: components in their products.

http://www.scheu-analog.de/en/index.htm

They have expanded their range [The Diamond is a beauty] and have some really great Tonearms,as you will see once you click on the link.

By the way.

I still rate the Dynavector tonearms,they can get ANY cartridge to track brilliantly and are so easy to use.

Maybe not the last word in finesse [unless you whack a Garrot Bros FGS on it], then WoW!

I'm still procrastinating [2 years now] over going the whole hog vis a vie a major turntable upgrade.

Problematic procurement aside ,this lot have always been in the back of my mind as the best value,basically because they make the parts for just about all the manufacturers that use "Similar" :mad: components in their products.

http://www.scheu-analog.de/en/index.htm

They have expanded their range [The Diamond is a beauty] and have some really great Tonearms,as you will see once you click on the link.

Tweaky,

I too have admired Scheu for some time. You may have noticed a couple of entries in the 'Titillating Tonearms' thread, including a nice pink Diamond I suggested for Mustud. I particularly like the emphasis he puts on power supply and motor isolation, which can turn a good turntable into a great one. I also love the simplicity and engineering of the Tacco tonearm, and the looks - beautiful. I think I could live quite happily with a Sceu rig :D

cheers

2sheds

And sheds I have noted you passed the 3000 mark - just dont slow down Dritz is getting nervous and posting a bit lately so if you are gunna catch him by xmas yooud better get your skates on!! Hmm someone here must be able to count- days left in the year into about 2500 posts - how many on avergae is that a day sheds has to do to even get close?

And sheds I have noted you passed the 3000 mark - just dont slow down Dritz is getting nervous and posting a bit lately so if you are gunna catch him by xmas yooud better get your skates on!! Hmm someone here must be able to count- days left in the year into about 2500 posts - how many on avergae is that a day sheds has to do to even get close?

That Drizt will be a hard one to catch, Andy :P Christmas? Only if he takes a 6 month break...:mad:

Sorry I couldn't find room in the Top 10 for the Grace 707. :) Hope you are enjoying it...:D

cheers

2sheds

Its Ok I dont expect to own anything in ay top 10's just yet - hwoever you never know what might turn up at the dump one day!

Loving the 707 - brochure for the also describes them as a "quad-master" - I like the sound of that - my arms a "quad master" whats yours?

Not sure I should admist this but played Madonna's Imaculate Collection double LP this afternoon - manily cause it from the same era as the tutable and has a light blue cover too match - and I really really enjoyed it - pretty good recording quality methinks

Its Ok I dont expect to own anything in ay top 10's just yet - hwoever you never know what might turn up at the dump one day!

Loving the 707 - brochure for the also describes them as a "quad-master" - I like the sound of that - my arms a "quad master" whats yours?

Not sure I should admist this but played Madonna's Imaculate Collection double LP this afternoon - manily cause it from the same era as the tutable and has a light blue cover too match - and I really really enjoyed it - pretty good recording quality methinks

Andy,

The Grace 707 was developed for specifically for 4 channel records, which are a lot more demanding than 2 channel for a tonearm and cartridge.

cheers

2sheds

Nope 2sheds, you can't manage SME V on your list, well fair enough, but no linear tracking arms can make your Top 10? Without wanting to comment on your selections per se, as ideally I do like this thread, I just thought you could have thrown in a least one linear tracking arm. (Maybe just to keep us all happy. :mad:)

Can't manage an Air Tangent or possibly more up to date Clear Audio Master TQ-1 (never seen it or heard it personally) or even ET 2.5 et. al?

Quite surprising, but appreciate your thoughts here.

Cheers,

Nostro. :D

How did you end up with the 4point? Probably a similar process, I would guess. And I reckon you will be very happy with your choice :mad: Now when your cartridge expires in 2000 hours, a much harder choice. Maybe we need......Charismatic Cartridges :D

cheers

2sheds

Pretty much Sheds. l reckon l will be happy too. Warwick has just informed me that the Kuzma has arrived so sometime next week l will know first hand.

Cheers Mondie

Nope 2sheds, you can't manage SME V on your list, well fair enough, but no linear tracking arms can make your Top 10? Without wanting to comment on your selections per se, as ideally I do like this thread, I just thought you could have thrown in a least one linear tracking arm. (Maybe just to keep us all happy. :mad:)

Can't manage an Air Tangent or possibly more up to date Clear Audio Master TQ-1 (never seen it or heard it personally) or even ET 2.5 et. al?

Quite surprising, but appreciate your thoughts here.

Cheers,

Nostro. :D

Nostro,

You know, I wanted to - very much. And the 2 I debated about were the AirTangent and the Clearaudio Master TQ-1, although the Cartridge Man's tangential tracker is getting good press. Are the AirTangent and TQ-1 better arms than the Audio-Technica, Stax and Moerch...? I would have to say - yes, without a doubt. They address the inherent issues of building a tangential tracker extremely well as well as highlight the advantages of the breed. And yet they missed out, because I just had to find space for a couple of arms which were added as 'second arms' i.e. arms I would like to run as a second arm to my Schroeder or DaVinci or EMT. They are there more because I desire them rather than stand at the top of the performance tree. Narrowing down to 10 leaves out these tangential stars as well as other desirable arms like the Graham Phantom and SME V and Kuzma 4point and VPi JMW 12.7 and Scheu Tacco and Pluto 9a and Bruer....the list goes on. And I could see any of these 'also rans' taking a place in my Top 10 in the future :P And the list represents the Top 10 arms I would like to own.....at the moment :)

cheers

2sheds

Hey a we missing a certain french SNA member of lat -that electric bloke Voltage?

Yeah, that's him Andy :D That French Voltage guy - bit of a bright spark :mad: I worry he backed the wrong side at the Bastille, and you know the consequences of that.....:P

cheers

2sheds

Or Devestatingly Delightful Digital?

Mr Drizt, where are you? I need support here.

More like....Dreadfully Dreary Digital :D Just enjoy that lovely analogue gear you have resuscitated, Mustud :mad: ...and be glad that your analogue speakers ar ther to tidy up that digital muck or else you would be picking up one's and zero's out of your speakers :P

cheers

2sheds

Yea, I am thinking of one to use with my denon 103r and try out an SPU.

I think Jelco OEM the Audio technica, Ortofon, Audioquest, Koetsu, Graham Robin and maybe the Ikeda arms to the specs of each manufacturer.

Turntable,

There is an interesting thread here on a bloke who has an AC-3. :mad:

cheers

2sheds

More like....Dreadfully Dreary Digital :D Just enjoy that lovely analogue gear you have resuscitated, Mustud :mad: ...and be glad that your analogue speakers ar ther to tidy up that digital muck or else you would be picking up one's and zero's out of your speakers :P

cheers

2sheds

Yes, yes, I see your point of view, however Digital Drizt has just sent me a subliminal reminder that Dancingly Delicious Digital has an attraction that Turgid Tonearms and Coelacanthic Cartridges cannot best when it comes to the question of poplessness and cracklessness.

And I couldn't argue with a subliminal message from Digital Drizt, could I? I am sure you will agree.

Regards,

Magnificent Mustud

Yes, yes, I see your point of view, however Digital Drizt has just sent me a subliminal reminder that Dancingly Delicious Digital has an attraction that Turgid Tonearms and Coelacanthic Cartridges cannot best when it comes to the question of poplessness and cracklessness.

And I couldn't argue with a subliminal message from Digital Drizt, could I? I am sure you will agree.

Poor Doublesampling Drizt didn't realise that Tittilating Tonearms and Charismatic Cartridges don't respond to upsampling, so all the vinyl sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Turn it back to 33rpm, Drizt :mad: Mind you, I would argue that it would still beat the pants off the average CD player. Maybe we should do some blind testing, if our mate hasn't drunk all the jungle juice....:P

Drizt ...? Where are you...? Still in your closet playing with that record player...:D

cheers

2sheds

Turntable,

There is an interesting thread here on a bloke who has an AC-3. :mad:

cheers

2sheds

2sheds,

that is Harry who lives in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. He likes the davinci tonearm a lot more now that it is setup better on the AC-3.

Nostro,

You know, I wanted to - very much. And the 2 I debated about were the AirTangent and the Clearaudio Master TQ-1, although the Cartridge Man's tangential tracker is getting good press. Are the AirTangent and TQ-1 better arms than the Audio-Technica, Stax and Moerch...? I would have to say - yes, without a doubt. They address the inherent issues of building a tangential tracker extremely well as well as highlight the advantages of the breed. And yet they missed out, because I just had to find space for a couple of arms which were added as 'second arms' i.e. arms I would like to run as a second arm to my Schroeder or DaVinci or EMT. They are there more because I desire them rather than stand at the top of the performance tree. Narrowing down to 10 leaves out these tangential stars as well as other desirable arms like the Graham Phantom and SME V and Kuzma 4point and VPi JMW 12.7 and Scheu Tacco and Pluto 9a and Bruer....the list goes on. And I could see any of these 'also rans' taking a place in my Top 10 in the future :D And the list represents the Top 10 arms I would like to own.....at the moment :P

cheers

2sheds

Yes, fair call 2sheds.....as you say it is the Top 10 arms you would like to own, rather than the Top 10 arms.

Makes mucho senso to me now.

Cheers! :mad:

Regards,

Magnificent Mustud

and

Poor Doublesampling Drizt didn't realise that Tittilating Tonearms and Charismatic Cartridges don't respond to upsampling, so all the vinyl sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Turn it back to 33rpm, Drizt :mad: Mind you, I would argue that it would still beat the pants off the average CD player. Maybe we should do some blind testing, if our mate hasn't drunk all the jungle juice....:)

Drizt ...? Where are you...? Still in your closet playing with that record player...:P

cheers

2sheds

Would this make the two of you the Dribbling Duo then? :D

NFA:D

Or Devestatingly Delightful Digital?

Mr Drizt, where are you? I need support here.

My ears were burning.... you rang ?

I like the DDD :mad: Good work :D

Ill be staying digital most likely. Still haven't heard anything to convince me otherwise.