Sony 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector

Not that this is going to solve the problem, but Sony just released a short throw projector that I saw week before last at the Singapore Hi-Fi Show.

7 (seven) inches away from the wall and it throws a 142" inch 4K picture! It was stunning. It was an LED lit projector and just released in Asia.

Here are some actual still shots that i took of the screen which they had got upto 140" as that was the screen

post-107246-0-41292700-1418028099_thumb.post-107246-0-88110400-1418028244_thumb.post-107246-0-69972400-1418028351_thumb.

Not that this is going to solve the problem, but Sony just released a short throw projector that I saw week before last at the Singapore Hi-Fi Show.

7 (seven) inches away from the wall and it throws a 142" inch 4K picture! It was stunning. It was an LED lit projector and just released in Asia.

Here are some actual still shots that i took of the screen which they had got upto 140" as that was the screen

attachicon.gifDSCF5050.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF5057.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF5058.JPG

I don't know it is your camera or how they sat up the projector.   Well the two pics look pretty bright but also tiring.  I don't think I can watch torch mode picture like this.  I don't know about you but for me the 2nd picture of the frog looks more like a plastic frog rather than a real frog. 

I don't know it is your camera or how they sat up the projector.   Well the two pics look pretty bright but also tiring.  I don't think I can watch torch mode picture like this.  I don't know about you but for me the 2nd picture of the frog looks more like a plastic frog rather than a real frog. 

Its important to remember that these were photographs of a projected image being viewed through possibly an uncalibrated lcd monitor. Considering the image on the screen is 1200x800 size, and it could be displayed on a smaller resolution screen atm. Also the fact that 1/2 the picture is out of focus would definitely contribute.

The actual camera taking the photo could be effecting this impression too. I would be very confident the picture in real life would really pop out really nicely.

Edited by AAD_HT

Its important to remember that these were photographs of a projected image being viewed through possibly an uncalibrated lcd monitor. Considering the image on the screen is 1200x800 size, and it could be displayed on a smaller resolution screen atm. Also the fact that 1/2 the picture is out of focus would definitely contribute.

The actual camera taking the photo could be effecting this impression too. I would be very confident the picture in real life would really pop out really nicely.

these are not unusual. its been done for years with these style of projector being available. remember rear projectors and their closely related short throw front projector (going back to 80s ... i remember one in school camp ! this is just an iteration of those.

use the wall which has its own compromises....

cost on these things is massive too. your still paying for a projector but with fancy optics, and then try a price of US$50,000 :O :O :O

http://store.sony.com/4k-ultra-short-throw-projector-zid27-LSPXW1S/cat-27-catid-collections-ifa

really though theres no need. can name atleast 2 other conventional at less than 1/10th - 1/20th the price that will achieve spectacular results in the OPs scenario without resorting to the mega buck sony solution :)

These are still shots taken of the actual screen. Because of the short distance I was to the screen, my camera lens is made to only focus on a certain spot and place the rest of the picture in an unfocused way (cause bokeh).

On my Macbook retina screen, some of the shots look stunning and are not as vivid or saturated as you see on the post, where the picture gets misaligned getting downsized from 7Mb to 80kb. Here's another few example's

post-107246-0-17743200-1418214674_thumb.

post-107246-0-91479900-1418214747_thumb.

US $50K!!! Would be cheaper to build a bigger room and get a Sony VPL-VW500ES!

Sony recommends that these projectors are used for museum's, fashion shows, corporate rooms, airports, and other commercial venues. 

You can even set up 2 of these boxes side by side to have a massively wide screen.

It's the technology and picture quality you admire that they got out of something so small.

In the next room was the VPL-VW500ES and the VPL -VW1000ES. Much better picture quality than the short throw, in fact brilliant jaw dropping picture quality.

With the VPL-VW500ES they were throwing in a free Sony Alfa7 camera with lens kit all up for Sing $10,888/-

[moderator post]guys I've split off these 4k short throw projector posts away from the thread they were posted in, since as a topic they're better served in a thread topic of its own.[end moderator post]

Thanks Al

The Sony Projector was the first with LED used for projection. 20,000 hours with no fading, then a replacement LED is needed.

Below is the link to more photo's at the Singapore Hifi Show. Here there are still shots of the VPL-VW500ES (generally the food and women shots).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8439124@N04/sets/72157649727331795/