Faulty Onkyo AV receiver - fixable or trash?

Hi all,

I picked up this 7.1 channel receiver (Onkyo TX-SR674) for next to nothing, with the seller advising that in the surround modes the front left channel was faulty, but that it worked fine in stereo or pure direct mode. I hooked it up to a 2.1 speaker setup hoping to improve the sound of the small second tv in the rumpus room. Unfortunately even in stereo/pure direct mode, the sound is very scratchy, with crackling etc, through the front channels. I've changed speakers and checked connections which confirm it is the amp's channels.

I really can't afford to spend the likes of what a repairer might charge to fix it (unless there is a very reasonable priced repairer in Brisbane?).

Wondering if there is any other option? I've tried the Zone 2 channels and they sound ok, but it seems I can use every other input (radio, cd etc) except Video 1 into Zone 2. Of course the digital coaxial input from the crappy tv can only be assigned to Video 1 so I can't direct the sound to the Zone 2 speakers. 

Can I use other channels without using the front channels? I didn't get the remote or the setup microphone so can't do a proper sound setup.

Otherwise I might just give it away to someone who could get some use out of it and just search for a replacement AVR or a cheap sound bar instead.

http://www.onkyousa....&class=Receiver

post-139598-0-17291600-1418270480_thumb.

post-139598-0-25706800-1418270483_thumb.

Why don't contact the seller back and explain the situation ?

Nah not even worth the hassle.

I had an onkyo in the past and from memory any analog input can be output via zone 2. So if you can run analog from TV to AVR you should be good to go.

Unfortunately its one of those modern, cheap tv's that only have digital coaxial out, no analog out.

I'll try and have another play around with it this week. Then I might start looking for a cheap replacement avr. 

Can't help with the repair options but if you choose to go down the replacement route, I have 2 excellent AVRs from when HDMI was in it's infancy. Both behemoths from when AVR's still had real grunty amps inside, an Onkyo TX-SR805 and a Denon AVR 4306. Willing to let either go cheap. The Denon is my fav and in near perfect knick but doesn't have BD Hi-res codecs. The Onkyo does but has a broken display which apparently is a cheap resistor replacement. IMO the Denon is better for stereo, but it's a close run thing and the next guy might prefer the Onkyo.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah it was dirt cheap, i think its from around 2006 and although it sometimes is bearable after warming up, the sound from the sub is pretty poor so im on the hunt for a cheap replacement, or to borrow one...