betty boop

electric cars

20 minutes ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

Everybody wants to be green but loose sight of the fact of how to get there.

The electricity infastructure has to be changed/upgraded to allow mass charging of EV's.

Charging stations need to be common and fast.

Batteries still have a long way to go and need to be still cheaper.

l think in about 10 years when the current crop of EV's need new batteries we will see what happens.

Lithium batteries are a difficult to recycle.

Dont get me wrong l think EV's have a place and will become dominent just not as soon or easily as everyone thinks.

Me l'll generate my own power, use rainwater around the house and fill my recycle bins.

Hope that makes up for all my cars and the fact l rain down lead  when l am flying.

regards Bruce

Actually (coming from the power industry currently) infrastructure changes aren't that severe, not least because the cars won't all turn up tomorrow. In most cases the grid needs to get smarter to manage that demand, but that's consistent with a move towards the grid getting smarter in general (we're interested in demand management for many reasons, not just cars). 

Charging stations might need to be common but the majority do not need to be fast. Cars are parked on average 22-23 hours/day. The majority of EVs are 'slow' charged, this is unlikely to change. 

Batteries will probably not get so cheap as quick as what people will like, we'll simply get used to charging more often (as in whenever we park a car) and smaller batteries. We might not even end up owning cars, which will change how we use and accordingly design them.

Lithium batteries are not difficult to recycle. Complete furphy. Over 90% of what's in a pack can usually be recycled with decent separation technology, sometimes up to 98%. Most auto batteries are capable of finding a second life in other applications. A bigger problem is what to do with the recovered lithium - fresh material is too cheap to justify reusing it in new batteries without some policy in place. 

There needs to be a big shake up in infactstructure, how many years now have we been having Load shedding on hot days?

regards Bruce

3 minutes ago, sloper said:

There needs to be a big shake up in infactstructure, how many years now have we been having Load shedding on hot days?

regards Bruce

I see that as incompatible with the sell off of infrastructure and privatisation. The companies will never build sufficient resources to avoid some load shedding (unless forced to)

12 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Theres a number of things the Cx5 does well,  gears, gears, gears... oh did I mentioned gears.....  There adaptive intelligent cruise control works at all speeds, cylinder deactivation,  and it’s comfortable and quite...

But no boot space... Stupid thing is people buy SUV's with the misconception they can carry more. I always laugh seeing proud BMX X3 or X5 owners at the shopping centre diligently de-constructing their kids pram so they can fit it in the boot. My wife could just fold ours and throw it in the boot of her Golf GTI. Adaptive cruise is not exactly cutting edge these days, both our cars now have it, along with variations of self drive technology.

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

am sure folk can make their very own value judgements to work out if EVs price is a problem. am sure it isnt a problem for some, but clearly for the very great slabs of majority out there it very much is.

I think you overestimate the ability for Joe public to make a rational or researched decision. People mostly buy what they see as cool or "in fashion". So many people want SUV's or dual cab utes despite the manufacturers and reviewers telling them a station wagon is a better bet. Now most manufacturers have given up and make what the great unwashed want. Going back 20 years how many Commodore owners thought of buying anything other than a new Commodore?

We will need a critical mass of early adopters to show Joe public the advantages of day to day ownership, rather than looking at the cynical "what if" limitations.

12 hours ago, aussievintage said:

We had a small second car, but rather than replace it with an electric to run about locally, we are just going to go back to being a one car family and  I don't see an electric replacing the diesel for towing the van anytime soon.

probably 2022 before the Rivian is available here, but not at sane $$$ I would expect.

What's your vans ATM and towball mass? We are about to go to a ATM of just over 2 tonne and 160-180ish towball mass. The Volvo XC60 we expect to do a sterling job, and it's a lovely car to drive day to day without the van.

15 minutes ago, blybo said:

probably 2022 before the Rivian is available here, but not at sane $$$ I would expect.

What's your vans ATM and towball mass? We are about to go to a ATM of just over 2 tonne and 160-180ish towball mass. The Volvo XC60 we expect to do a sterling job, and it's a lovely car to drive day to day without the van.

Only small. 1.5 tonne.  The Ford Escape/Kuga we use currently, does an excellent job.  It's also small enough, town driving is easy as well.

2 hours ago, sloper said:

regards Bruce

Load shedding is normal. We need more if it. EVs actually help here.

48 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Load shedding is normal. We need more if it. EVs actually help here.

Normal in a first world country?

And how does more pressure on the grid help?

As l said we need a big shakeup.

regards Bruce

33 minutes ago, sloper said:

regards Bruce

https://reneweconomy.com.au/nem-watch/

sloper have a peep at live page above, can download the nem app too if want. can see what supply (where its coming from) vs demand. quick on the spot state of the nation :D how much surplus and renewable vs black vs brown coal and gas and such. 

1 hour ago, sloper said:

regards Bruce

Yup. In our country and every other.

We've had load shedding since the earliest days of the grid. Designing generation for all possible demand eventualities is a waste of resources.

EVs - and any other controllable load - can help the grid by smoothing out demand a good bit. Allows for more intermittent generation on the grid, better power quality, all that good stuff.

Unregulated demand growth - that's a problem.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:21 PM, Briz Vegas said:

VS Audi A4 and BMW 3 series the Model 3 wins hands down.  It’s drivetrain is just better, it’s cheaper to run but costs the same to buy.  The Germans are lovely cars I am sure, and in the past I have wished I could get one or the other.  As a kid I doodled early 3 series BMWs and when older I tried to work out how I could afford  one.  It’s almost 2020.  The A4 and 3 series  are relics once you have spent a bit of time driving the future.  ( if this isn’t the future then we are in big big trouble, or preferably  we will all ride electric bikes instead)

obviously not everyone agrees.. 😛  ... announced today....

"BMW 3 Series: 2019 carsales Car of the Year

Everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, strong resale value and competitive running costs makes the BMW 3 Series the 2019 carsales Car of the Year

The seventh-generation BMW 3 Series saw off two highly commended runners-up, trumped the technology in the Tesla Model 3, the value in the Kia Seltos, the class of the Volvo S60 and the practicality of a wide and varied line-up of SUVs that accounted for much of the 2019 field.

Indeed, despite a variety of predictions and expectations, it was the BMW 3 Series that ticked the boxes for everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, resale value and running costs. It could not be beaten in the class of 2019.
“It’s the strongest consensus we’ve had in the history of carsales COTY,” chief judge Marton Pettendy said as he tallied the final votes.
“The 3 Series is a level above the rest.”"

so there ...relic hey ?  some can keep doodling I say ... :D life still in the old relic of a 3 series for bmw clearly !  hehe

Peugeots e-208 is getting a very enthusiastic reception .... the 208 series itself is a great platform it seems so not suprised the electric version has much going for it, as a peugeot fan from way back ! so pleased to see peugeot making a come back with what are a great set of car models they are releasing :) 

also being released is the skoda octavia....poorer cousin to the VW golf in this case and some will argue with the previous gen as well I reckon the octavia looks better inside and out :D 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/806874/2020-skoda-octavia-revealed/

w7knnxz8lvzfjfsrpoz3.jpg

"The plug-in hybrid is based on a 1.4-litre petrol engine, and outputs a combined 150kW and 350Nm. Four chassis options are offered, from front-wheel drive to all-wheel drive with an active suspension setup."

"Given the Volkswagen Group has previously claimed to be unable to introduce PPF-equipped petrol models due to Australia's sulphur-rich petrol, it's a strong possibility the new 48V mild-hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants will not be offered Down Under, at least from launch."

however given launch not till 12 months away ... who knows...

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

obviously not everyone agrees.. 😛  ... announced today....

"BMW 3 Series: 2019 carsales Car of the Year

Everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, strong resale value and competitive running costs makes the BMW 3 Series the 2019 carsales Car of the Year

The seventh-generation BMW 3 Series saw off two highly commended runners-up, trumped the technology in the Tesla Model 3, the value in the Kia Seltos, the class of the Volvo S60 and the practicality of a wide and varied line-up of SUVs that accounted for much of the 2019 field.

Indeed, despite a variety of predictions and expectations, it was the BMW 3 Series that ticked the boxes for everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, resale value and running costs. It could not be beaten in the class of 2019.
“It’s the strongest consensus we’ve had in the history of carsales COTY,” chief judge Marton Pettendy said as he tallied the final votes.
“The 3 Series is a level above the rest.”"

so there ...relice hey ?  some can keep doodling I say ... :D life in the old relic of a 3 series for bmw clearly !  hehe

Carsales.  You mean the Shell V power car of the year award? 2019 fossil of the year! Tesla winning that award was about as likely as Scott Morrison opening a wind farm and praising the technology.  Basically a fundamental conflict of interest before you even start.

Edited by Briz Vegas

11 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

Carsales.  You mean the Shell V power car of the year award.  2019 fossil of the year? Tesla winning that award was about as likely as Scott Morrison opening a wind farm and praising the technology.  Basically a fundamental conflict of interest before you even start.

🙄 perhaps a lack of understanding I guess that it is not shell that comes up with the awards but the carsales team. perhaps lack of understanding of the process ... who knows... sour grapes some ? ... never mind .... *shrug*

Whatever. It’s Carsales (a rag) and it’s not an EV.  

Porsche Taycan in 2020, fair enough, well done Stuttgart. Mazda MX5 in 2018, yup I will give them that.  Bit of nostalgia, old school driving purity.  I can appreciate that.

BMW 3 series sedan in 2019.  Premium Priced sport sedan for between $70k and $100k.  Direct price and form factor competitor. You having got to be having a lend mate.

Edited by Briz Vegas