betty boop

electric cars

On 18/07/2019 at 5:58 AM, Addicted to music said:

Diesel is around $1.50/Lt 

A typical tank is 70-80lts

1.5 x 80 = $120  

But that will buy you around 1000km.  And don’t forget it takes 5mins to fill and you’re on your way, still you are looking around the $40-60k for an SUV on road. 

My VW T5 would do almost 1200kms on an eighty litre tank..............highway use.

Posted (edited)

How long does it take to charge your phone? Only time I will be charging outside my garage will be on holidays. 400km is heaps. 350km is the most I have done in a day in the last 12 months.  

Getting ready for the big day. Got a heads up SMS from the dealer warning that my car is not far off.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Posted (edited)

No faster than a Tesla P3D but obviously you get all the Porsche performance bits and the badge ...and the price.

i think this car is great because all EV boats will rise on the incoming tide of models.  More choice is a win win....there are no “killers” ...unless you are 12, in which case your favourite car has to kill everything else.

Edited by Briz Vegas

More money needs to be spent on normal speed, long distance cars. 

51 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

The current battery cost means cars with long distance automatically fall into the expensive category so it only makes sense to appeal to the luxury and/or performance markets. This of course will change as battery technology gets cheaper but just wishing for it won't make it happen. The profits and reinvested R&D from the luxury and performance markets are precisely what are driving the technology costs down.

I agree about getting more range for the dollar, but it's getting to the point where you are spliting hairs on vehicles over $60k.   At that price point you can now have a 64kWh tank, 150kw of power and over 300nm of torque and up to 400km of range. The Niro body style has good rear space and a decent boot. 

On a road trip a 400km stint, break for lunch followed by a 400km afternoon stint is probably more than most families will tolerate.  With an EV you do the 400km, then you do short part charges to stay in your cars fast charging sweet spot. There are more than enough early adopter customers  that would be 100% happy with that. People who need more are a small minority and they will wait impatiently for next gen cars. 

I look forward to the first sub $40k car with good weekend ability, but it is most likely to be a pre-loved Kona EV or similar. New ones at that price will be "city cars".

On 10/08/2019 at 7:36 AM, Sime V2 said:

Economics and technology don’t support the necessary cell types yet.

It’ll come.

18 hours ago, vinilink said:

I should be far more worried about my current car burning vs an EV, and my car isn’t a Polo or Mazda Ute or a Ford Ute subject to a fire risk recall.

In 2 years of production and having reached 300,000 model 3s on the worlds roads there have now been TWO fires following extreme accidents. Only one, this one, looks like it involved the battery. ...and a heavy stationary object.

This is a Russian incident and Tesla has no sales or service presence in Russia. In this market Autopilot has limited functionality and you would use it like the cruise control on your current car.  I would never dream of using cruise through a traffic incident area. That’s driver error.

Maybe people are still  surprised that a battery can burn intensely when damaged. Some are saying that the explosions you hear are actually air bags going off, but you would think they would have already deployed.  There was time between the accident and the fire. 

The occupants got off lightly apparently, particularly given the highway speeds involved.

15 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

This is a Russian incident and Tesla has no sales or service presence in Russia. In this market Autopilot has limited functionality and you would use it like the cruise control on your current car.  I would never dream of using cruise through a traffic incident area. That’s driver error.

We don't know what the spec of the car is so we don't even know what level of Autopilot the car had. The only reduced functionality in Russia would be that the automatic speed limit changes occur with reference to an internal database, there may or may not be information on Russian speed zones in the Euro car databases. If there isn't, then the driver needs to manually initiate the speed zone speed changes

So, anyone bought an EV lately?  

I am guessing 2019 will show 100% plus growth on these ( low) Aussie numbers.  Certainly heading in the right direction.

1233B8B6-11C1-4716-88E8-17595230A06B.png

Edited by Briz Vegas

13 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

So, anyone bought an EV lately?  

I am guessing 2019 will show 100% plus growth on these ( low) Aussie numbers.  Certainly heading in the right direction.

The reality is that the motor retail industry has been going down for the last seventeen consecutive months, back to their low GFC level. There are pressure on prices due to our historically low exchange rate. Bank and lending institutions are also under pressure due to the recent royal commission, so it is harder to get a loan. Wage growth continues to be very weak. So in that environment, I don't see how expensive EV would be able to grow their market share; there is probably an excess stock of ICE cars due to the poor sales. This looks almost like a prefect storm against EV as they strive for price parity. Even from your graph there is hardy any growth from 2017 to 2018. 

Model 3 deliveries started this week. There have been truckloads of them spotted in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. I expect that you'll see one on the streets anytime

Recently I saw a model S with the licence plate 'RIP ICE'. 😄😁😂

I am seeing numbers estimating Tesla will sell more Model 3s in the next few months than it’s total annual sales in the last few years.  Their biggest problem is the logistics of getting cars to new owners, probably having so few “dealers” doesn’t help.  

The car market overall is awful but at this point in history EVs are a different market that has been starved of product.  

Different topic.  I’ve just been listening to an industry podcast on charging infrastructure and other related issues.  It was interesting that my biggest concern was not raised.  Sure, 90% of charging is done at home, but my car is predominantly for the weekend and social use. I think this psychological barrier of reliable longer trips can only be broken with Tesla scale infrastructure.  

I can imagine people arriving at this northern NSW motorway Tesla site ( below) feeling relaxed vs the nerve wracking NRMA experience for this  Kona at Glenn Innes with one lonely  “pump”.  

Similarly, I am keen to check out Cooper”s Gap Wind farm out Dalby way in October.  The infrastructure that will make that trip easy is this single 50kW pump  at a Caltex site west of Toowoomba.  How many people would do the trip without worrying that the single fast pump might not be working.  It’s only reliable infrastructure if it’s available or if there is a contingency for when it’s having a bad day.  I guess it’s the price you pay in the chicken and egg transition phase of a “new” technology.  I will definitely be filling up on the outbound trip because that way I can bail without reaching a point of no return.  ( I must admit, it’s kind of fun because you can get caught out due to the single point sensitivity.  More so than with a petrol car)

885A59FF-5643-41ED-A591-F46E95541D66.png

A2DB1748-BBB5-45EF-BB22-E639F0B50922.png

93FB7469-5509-4D5F-B516-3B6125CFC427.png

Edited by Briz Vegas

29 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

Different topic.  I’ve just been listening to an industry podcast on charging infrastructure and other related issues.  It was interesting that my biggest concern was not raised.  Sure, 90% of charging is done at home, but my car is predominantly for the weekend and social use. I think this psychological barrier of reliable longer trips can only be broken with Tesla scale infrastructure.  

I can imagine people arriving at this northern NSW motorway Tesla site ( below) feeling relaxed vs the nerve wracking NRMA experience for this  Kona at Glenn Innes with one lonely  “pump”.  

Why so negative?

Tesla put down cash first.  They have the most cars to service, and more fast charging stations. 

The rest is coming. And for what it's worth the two largest networks for everyone else feature prior senior Tesla staff among others, and some excellent product - that 'lonely' Tritium Veefil unit you slagged off there is designed and built not too far from you, and exported the world over. Charge from that and you're putting far more $ back into local industry and support for EV uptake that you would otherwise. 

Want to break your psychological barrier? Just take the longer trip dude. Almost everyone realises it's not that hard. It's unlikely you'll be different.

One more thing - there's no 'industry' podcast going. The 'industry' is busy designing and making cars, so people can drive them and discover that ownership isn't so difficult. Just enjoy the drive.