betty boop

electric cars

top gears take on the honda E.... looks like goes up against the mini e.

and most importantly as they sum up ...  "but now we’re getting cars we both want to own and, crucially, can afford. This is where electric cars become established contenders, not just the alternative choice"

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/e-prototype/first-drive?fbclid=IwAR24VeLAUgsPcJGlC49OwSS43WeMlGj8IE2432gZlKY-VNMlD9vl7lvsMaE

"Don’t tell me you’ve finally driven this adorable little thing?

That’s right – not very far, and not for very long, but we’re the first outside of Honda to slide across the recycled polyester seat, look out over the concave triptych of screens and take a drive in perhaps the most hyped electric car not to wear a Tesla badge.

And there’s no other way to put it – this is a very good thing.  

Well, that’s that sorted. Back to stalking people on Instagram, I guess.

Hey, it’s your time. But, now that we’re talking about tenuous linking sentences, the e Prototype’s stellar styling must be worth an Insta shot or two, right?"

and to sum up...

"~And on purely numerical terms, that pits Honda against the upcoming Mini Electric, which offers about the same driving range for £24,400. Yes, the Honda’s a ground-up build, where the Mini is an adaptation of the current fossil-powered model, but it is a considerable chunk of change that could be spent on solar panels or a quick-charger for your house. Or beer and chocolate, if that’s more your speed. 

But the real good news here is that both exist. We’ve had the truly awful (G-Wiz), expensive and fast (Tesla, Jag), the cheap and cheerful (Renault Zoe), and the everyday functional (Hyundai Kona and Kia e-Niro) but now we’re getting cars we both want to own and, crucially, can afford. This is where electric cars become established contenders, not just the alternative choice. Eventually, when everything is electrified, we’ll rightly credit Tesla. But we should remember this moment, too."

more infrastructure.... this is all good and more the the better ! 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-plan-to-expand-australia-s-electric-car-charging-network-121818.html

"New plan to expand Australia's electric-car charging network

Australia's electric vehicle charging infrastructure is set to get a boost, with the Australian-based Evie Networks planning to link major capital cities with a network of 42 ultra-fast charge stations.

The proposal includes a network of 80 individual charge points linking Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide, and will also include stations near Perth. Should it get off the ground, the company claims the network would be Australia's largest of ultra-fast charge sites.

Evie plans to compete with a number of infrastructure providers, including Australia's motoring clubs, and private companies such as rival Chargefox.

Chargefox plans to have 22 fast-charge sites open before the end of 2019, linking Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide as part of its Australian Renewable Energy Agency-backed network, while the NRMA has 15 fast charge sites across New South Wales and Canberra.

"The NRMA believes it has a key role to play in leading the transition to electric vehicles, but the more companies who invest in this essential infrastructure the better," said Peter Khoury, communications boss at the NRMA, which plans to have 30 charge stations running before the end of 2019.

Chargefox took a similar approach, welcoming "the addition of new charging infrastructure operators into the Australian market".

"For the mass adoption of EVs there needs to be a lot more investment in the sector and are glad that our commitment to the market has encouraged others to do the same," Marty Andrews, Chargefox CEO, told Drive. 

Queensland also has an electric-car charging network, linking Coolangatta with Cairns through 17 stations, while Tesla has 29 of its own 'Supercharger' stations around Australia, but they're only usable by Tesla Model S, X and 3 vehicles.

Evie Networks says its stations will be supplied by Queensland company Tritium, and Evie Networks the energy used to power them will be "100 per cent green".

The company plans to use 350kW chargers at its highway sites, capable of delivering 350km of driving range in just 15 minutes. They're the same chargers being used on the Ionity network being rolled out across European highways.

Using an app, EV owners will be able to track how many plugs are free at each charge station using network monitoring technology from a Californian company called EV Connect.

Funding for the project has come from the St Baker Energy Innovation Fund, founded by an executive with a history in the NSW and Queensland Electricity Commissions.

It has previously helped fund Tritium, the company supplying Evie its chargers, among other "developing disruptive products in the clean energy sector".

"For Australia to fully realise all the benefits of EVs, we have to reduce range and charging anxiety by giving drivers access to charging and information about chargers, no matter where they travel,” EV Connect's CEO said."

On 02/07/2019 at 10:09 AM, betty boop said:

Love to have it sounding like v12 Ferrari in full flight or F1 engine on rev limit ! :D that should keep the pedestrians away !

It won't be long before some clever types develop an app to allow you to select that, or a Rolls Royce V16 Aero engine, or a 1911 Lister stationary engine, or peripheral ported 26B Le Mans engine, or 19th century steam tractor,or......

6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

It won't be long before some clever types develop an app to allow you to select that, or a Rolls Royce V16 Aero engine, or a 1911 Lister stationary engine, or peripheral ported 26B Le Mans engine, or 19th century steam tractor,or......

I want these options

......or, how about the sound of my back yard.  How Aussie is that!

spec wise the honda E stacks up pretty well, better than the base honda civic, but as yet unconfirmed we will get it. if not this am sure we would get some iteration of this thing at some stage ? 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/honda-e-outputs-confirmed-121829.html

"Power and torque figures for the Honda E, the company's first electric car targeted at developed markets, have been confirmed.

The motor for the tiny hatchback delivers 110kW of power and over 300Nm of torque to the rear wheels.

With its previously announced 35.5kWh water-cooled lithium-ion battery pack, the E has a claimed driving range of over 200 kilometres on a full charge. The car supports both Type 2 AC or CCS2 DC rapid chargers.

According to Honda, the E has 50:50 front-to-rear weight distribution, a low centre of gravity, and stiffly sprung four-wheel independent McPherson strut suspension for fun and nimble handling.

The manufacturer says the electric hatch has a turning circle of just 4.3 metres.

The E also comes with a sport mode, as well as a single-pedal mode, which engages aggressive engine braking whenever you lift off the accelerator pedal.

In line with high-tech nature, the E will not be equipped with traditional wing mirrors. Instead, it will have slimline camera pods, which will feed live video to screens at each end of the dashboard.

The minimalist cabin will also feature two infotainment screens, a set of configurable digital instruments, wood-like trim, and plenty of connectivity options.

Australia

In May, Stephen Collins, head of Honda Australia, told Drive the local arm is definitely interested in the E, but cautioned the company "helped pioneer hybrids" and quit the market because "we couldn’t make it economically stack up and we had a lot of other priorities in our business".  "

On 02/07/2019 at 7:58 PM, proftournesol said:

Just a note of caution here, the Honda looks great, however Honda has had a poor record with hybrid implementation, that coupe hybrid it did was slower with worse economy that the ICE version, and the Insight was a flop. I do hope that it does well but Honda don't have good form with EVs or hybrids

Credit where due - @Sime V2 and @betty boop are right, it’s a friggn  awesome city car.

Honda has fine form with EVs and hybrids. Insight was a great car technically, and they’ve a ton of work with Clarity and other vehicles that are again technically brilliant.

They’ll never be cheapest but hopefully there’s some clear air in pricing between it and a Model 3 enough to carve out a reasonable space in market.

Posted (edited)

I’ve got my Gas guzzling Stinger that I only drive on my days off, I either get a lift to work or get an uber (I only travel 4km to work, so it’s not good for a twin turbo v6 to do constant short trips, and it’ll cost me $15 to park in the shade at work, compared to $12 to Uber)

This little Honda would be perfect for me to just drive to work and back ($7 to park on the top parking level in the sun) and I just love the look of it, imo the best proper use of an EV I’ve seen. 

They should stop looking at EV’s as performance cars, and start getting more EV’s into simple economical driving. 

Make them cheaper, some decent range (what people actually need) and can at least do 110kph and get them to the masses. 

Edited by Sime V2

2 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

..... I only travel 4km to work ......

Theres an amazing technology that has low CO2 emissions, low depreciation, free parking, and can get you to work in just 10mins:

image.png.dff150e3d3c5767372e544bb749493b0.png

2 hours ago, Nada said:

Theres an amazing technology that has low CO2 emissions, low depreciation, free parking, and can get you to work in just 10mins:

image.png.dff150e3d3c5767372e544bb749493b0.png

I used to, but I’m way to tired after work to ride, it all uphill. 

23 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

But if you start again, after 6months you’ll have more energy and be a lot fitter. 

27 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

following lines f previous suggestions.... maybe a  cheaper option at tenth of cost... while electric cars work them selves out... especially for short trip it is... can ride what you can and have electricity help you for rest :)

https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/dual-sport/dual-sport/p/24009/?colorCode=black

DualSportPlus_19_24009_A_Primary?$respon

16 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Thats great you used to ride a bike home uphill after work.  Im way to lazy to even think of that unless the bike had electric assist. Looks like it might work:

I agree on all fronts, just not buying another bike. 

6 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I’ve got my Gas guzzling Stinger that I only drive on my days off, I either get a lift to work or get an uber (I only travel 4km to work, so it’s not good for a twin turbo v6 to do constant short trips, and it’ll cost me $15 to park in the shade at work, compared to $12 to Uber)

This little Honda would be perfect for me to just drive to work and back ($7 to park on the top parking level in the sun) and I just love the look of it, imo the best proper use of an EV I’ve seen. 

They should stop looking at EV’s as performance cars, and start getting more EV’s into simple economical driving. 

Make them cheaper, some decent range (what people actually need) and can at least do 110kph and get them to the masses. 

Coming back original premise there is 100% a place for electric runabouts !

while makers been looking at decidedly large and expensive to date I agree we need more in the city car space. Interesting cars like Honda e that will clearly drive interest. Put in the shopping mall and bet see the interest. 

Even putting e aspect aside the Honda just seems SUCH a great design overall. That turning circle I don’t know if people realise but 4.3m ??? To put in perspective our little fiat 500 had turning circle of just over 10m !!! Makes the Honda an amazing thing inner city. No wonder the guy was just blown away darting between cones and around in the car.

and then rwd.. 50:50 balance like our bmw, power and torque equal or exceeding most hatchbacks people use everyday ! Nearly twice power abd torque of our little fiat has. And in Honda fashion decent suspension rather than pedestrian stuff get in most city cars fiat excluded :D

the interior and exterior is fresh and new too. Now if only can get price right for this gen or next. It will drive a lot of ev take up !

I loved the retro look of the dash board combined with the full car width of screens. 

56 minutes ago, betty boop said:

the interior and exterior is fresh and new too. Now if only can get price right for this gen or next. It will drive a lot of ev take up !

That's the clincher, it'll all depend on battery price and availability