betty boop

electric cars

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/05/bmw-and-jaguar-land-rover-team-up-on-electric-vehicles/

jaguar and bow team up to work on new gen electric motors.... to drive cost down... which is only a good thing :) 

"Jaguar Land Rover and BMW are partnering to build a new generation of motors for the pair's electric vehicles. Both companies will jointly develop the technology, and work to use their combined size to make component purchases cheaper. But each business will build their own engines at their own plants, in the UK and Germany.

According to BMW, engineers from both companies will set up in Germany to research and develop ways to improve BMW's fifth-generation electric engine. This motor, which contains transmission and power electronics in the same shell, famously does not contain any rare earth metals. That makes it both cheaper to produce and more environmentally friendly than other brushless motors of its class.

Both BMW, with its i-Series vehicles, and Jaguar with the I-Pace, have created electric vehicles that earned critical acclaim. The fact that both are working to further enhance the power and efficiency of their engines should be good news for the rest of us. Nick Rogers, JLR's director of engineering, says that "both companies' requirements for next generation EDUs to support this transition have significant overlap." "

I'm in.

... maybe I'll win the lottery by the time these are online.

New upgrade rumours for Model S. I'm very excited about the torque vectoring. The range is impressive, a claimed 600km range from a larger and amazingly lighter battery pack, according to the rumour. The pace of EV development means that, for Tesla anyway, these changes will trickle down fairly quickly

Tesla Model S and X Refresh: What’s New

The video, which cites a source that has worked with Tesla for most of the past decade, claims that the boost comes from a lighter and larger battery pack. The battery is expected to weigh 350 pounds less than its predecessor. However, it is unclear whether the pack will use the 2170 cells found in the entry-level Model 3 sedan, with the source only referencing a new battery design.

Tesla has been putting these cars through their paces with extreme heat testing in Death Valley and Arizona. The batteries have a new cooling mechanism to help tackle these conditions, which could help them offer more consistent performance. 

As rumored, the vehicles are also expected to offer an interior closer to the Model 3 than current cars. When the company’s cheapest-ever car launched in July 2017, it featured a single landscape touchscreen in the center of the dashboard and no instrument cluster. It’s unclear how much inspiration the Model S and X will take from this, but the portrait-oriented screen of current cars could be on the way out.

The refresh is also expected to offer a tri-motor design, similar to the $200,000 second-generation Roadster expected to launch next year. Current tests involve a “micro-motor” in the front and two larger motors in the rear. Both standard and performance variants are under testing, meaning enthusiasts may have a new most-coveted electric car on the way.

As attention turns to the Model Y compact SUV revealed earlier this year and the Pickup Truck expected later, it seems Tesla may have some more surprises up its sleeve for its future vehicle roster.

With the robo-taxi autonomous service set to launch next year, the new Model S could arrive just in time for ambitious automated road trips.

1 hour ago, proftournesol said:

The pace of EV development means that, for Tesla anyway, these changes will trickle down fairly quickly

look forward to the changes. I like the mention of interior reviews. personally i can only hope they move away from these MASSIVE screens stuck to the dash approach. do we really need such large screens on a dash. hopefully can trickle down to more sensible sized and a bit more minimalistic in design in that regard. 

apart from the tech side hopefully we see some less stark interiors too... and introduction of more cloth based. its all a bit too spartan and leather at present. :)

anyways lets see...

I'm with you on the cloth interior, my Tesla has the cloth seats and they are far more comfortable than pleather, especially in summer. Unfortunately, they aren't even an option now. I love the minimalist interior though

14 hours ago, proftournesol said:

New upgrade rumours for Model S. I'm very excited about the torque vectoring. The range is impressive, a claimed 600km range from a larger and amazingly lighter battery pack, according to the rumour. The pace of EV development means that, for Tesla anyway, these changes will trickle down fairly quickly

Nothing super amazing - the basic tenants of S pack design are over 10 years old now.

Glad for the torque vectoring, that’s way overdue. There have been a few S prototypes (from other companies) with twin motor rear axles.... they’re very impressive. Go like stink whilst stuck on rails in a way few are used to.

No, I'm to suggesting that it's 'super amazing', it's progress, and quite rapid progress. Drop 600kg - easy, but doing it profitably is the important part

Posted (edited)

Crystal ball 2020.  What will our EV options look like this time next year in Australia?

I think the only readily available options under the luxury car tax limit will be the MG EZS (hopefully), the Leaf and and the Tesla Model 3.  For under $50k the MG will be the no brainer and over $50k it’s the Model 3.  

Given all the new models being released OS it’s sad that we will have so few options. Mind you, Europe will only start to see the VW ID3 on the roads in mid 2020.

What positive options and developments have I missed? Of course!  I missed the big development.  Ace EV cargo vehicles will enable the reanimation of the long dead Aussie panel van..  Like the VW micro bus it will capture the surfing market, but unlike the still concept VW it will be under $40k. In my mind I can see the idealised beach scenes, Lord of the rings and Game of thrones artwork already. 

Anyone any good with photoshop?

66C11D9A-4E12-465F-9C26-8FFECBE16B8E.jpeg

Edited by Briz Vegas

Posted (edited)

..and on a more musical note.  In 2017 car journalist Johnny Smith noted that the startup chimes on VW EVs had been pinched from Depeche Modes Personal Jesus.  More proof that Depeche were/are big in Germany.

Edited by Briz Vegas

22 hours ago, proftournesol said:

No, I'm to suggesting that it's 'super amazing', it's progress, and quite rapid progress. Drop 600kg - easy, but doing it profitably is the important part

Dropping any material without resorting to exotica is 'profitable' by definition. There was a lot on S that can be better integrated... it's not a new design.

I love the S. I would rather a S than a 3. Though - having driven both - there's no doubt the 3 is a better EV. Stick what evolved from that back into the S and the conclusions are obvious.

What's amusing is watching the rest of the EV industry continually not quite catch up technically. Amusing because not everything in a Tesla is unachievable at lower price points, and a lot of it is very well done. 

Hopefully Porsche changes this to some degree with the Taycan. 

Yes, I think that's the point that most commentary is missing. Of course any manufacturer can build something approximating an S or a 3 but it's a different to get the supply chain right so you can scale up production, and also make the cars profitably. The updated S looks like it'll shift the goal posts again

12 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Yes, I think that's the point that most commentary is missing. Of course any manufacturer can build something approximating an S or a 3 but it's a different to get the supply chain right so you can scale up production, and also make the cars profitably. The updated S looks like it'll shift the goal posts again

Yes! I'm just hoping it makes for a nice discount on s/h Model S of your vintage :D 

Toyota finally getting going with electric, though looks like mostly hybrid and plug in hybrids with subaru. and c-hr in 2020 looks to be first (watch out kona). and a raft of city micro cars with suzuki and daihatsu 

"For its home market, Toyota is also developing a range of ultra-compact electric cars. Measuring just 2500mm long, these cars will seat just two people, have a maximum speed of 60km/h, and boast a driving range of around 100km.

These models will be targeted at the elderly, the young, corporations and local authorities."

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-steps-up-electric-car-development-with-10-available-by-early-2020s--121610.html

The luxury car tax was introduced to protect the Australian car industry. How's that working out for them? Anyway a good way to phase the LCT out and encourage EV adoption would be to abolish it on EVs. If you feel so inclined, feel free to sign this petition, not that our govt is likely to give a rat's about 500 signatures...

https://www.change.org/p/scott-morrison-abolishing-luxury-car-tax-for-ev-hybrid-vehicles

Goodaye all

Something that need to be addressed urgently is the lithium ion batties

Minimal damage and you get a huge fire that is hard to put out.

Banned in aviation.

So when we get a larger take up on electric cars will we see more people die in minor accidents.

Reading artical about electric trucks the other day, 400km range, what a joke here in Australia.

regards Bruce

35 minutes ago, sloper said:

Something that need to be addressed urgently is the lithium ion batties

Minimal damage and you get a huge fire that is hard to put out.

Banned in aviation.

So when we get a larger take up on electric cars will we see more people die in minor accidents.

Nonsense. There are many more petrol fires per car out there than electric battery fires.