betty boop

electric cars

one of best little driving cars out there the e208.... range is about only criticism it seems... also looks a really nice interior... and feels quite normal apparently and great in driving ! 

1 hour ago, Briz Vegas said:

What can I say...

'They' will stick lights all over EVs when they're affordable.  It will be the 'newdoof'.

19 hours ago, betty boop said:

one of best little driving cars out there the e208.... range is about only criticism it seems... also looks a really nice interior... and feels quite normal apparently and great in driving ! 

Want one.  I’m greedy. Wouldn’t mind an Alpine as well, but that’s not green, available as a manual, nor going to fit in my one car garage.  I was so glad when I found out that Tesla do a smallish steering wheel in the 3.  I loved the wheel in my 308 and the relaxed low position. The Zoe wheel  by comparison was like driving a bus.....relatively.

The curious thing about EVs is that smaller does not necessarily mean more frugal. The Mini E manages to do both but it’s in the ioniq/Model 3 class.  E208 is thirsty and does not make best use of its 50kWh. With Model 3 you get decent room for 4 or even 5 adults.  Even in my 308 I was apologising to my adult rear seat passengers. In a Model 3 you have to put up with them ogling the panno roof and the novelty of it all.  Space  is not a discussion point.  You can have your cake and eat it....but I still like small. Pugs.

Want one.  I’m greedy. Wouldn’t mind an Alpine as well, but that’s not green, available as a manual, nor going to fit in my one car garage.  I was so glad when I found out that Tesla do a smallish steering wheel in the 3.  I loved the wheel in my 308 and the relaxed low position. The Zoe wheel  by comparison was like driving a bus.....relatively.

I think i posted an article there will e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y be an alpine electric :D according head of renault ... but when that is goodness knows especially given way contracting in this market ! 

The curious thing about EVs is that smaller does not necessarily mean more frugal. The Mini E manages to do both but it’s in the ioniq/Model 3 class.  E208 is thirsty and does not make best use of its 50kWh. With Model 3 you get decent room for 4 or even 5 adults.  Even in my 308 I was apologising to my adult rear seat passengers. In a Model 3 you have to put up with them ogling the panno roof and the novelty of it all.  Space  is not a discussion point.  You can have your cake and eat it....but I still like small. Pugs.

in the review it seems weather dependant as well...reviewer sayings its pretty carp in cold weather .... as for car size most cars not talking mini size but most can take 4 folk pretty easily...hence even for family car we are happy with our mazda 3 so large seating limo definitely not on my list :D 

Posted (edited)

Regarding range impacts, I have not noticed this but in Queensland rain is rare until Late. Spring and that’s hailtime, not a risk I am wiling to take if I have a choice.

Now for some Chinese Norwegian techno. (with Dynaudio cameo).

Roads in the future, I can see it now.  Reminds me of a holiday to Asia.

Edited by Briz Vegas

11 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

Regarding range impacts, I have not noticed this but in Queensland rain is rare until Late. Spring and that’s hailtime, not a risk I am wiling to take if I have a choice.

hey briz, no dont expect you guys see what we do ....zero to sub zero overnight with pretty frosty days last couple :D . definitely still looks like 2 different approaches here.. mini ... small light, smaller battery pack for city run about.... vs Peugeot larger battery pack more to lug around for adding range....

I've found below re range and bmw mini with regards weather .... looks like highway as per review as well of the peugeot does hit range more ... though id say for an inner city car none of these are really i would suggest are a real issue...

https://ev-database.org/car/1163/Mini-Cooper-SE

Real Range between 130 - 280 km
City - Cold Weather 180 km
Highway - Cold Weather 130 km
Combined - Cold Weather 155 km

theres also mild weather ....

City - Mild Weather 280 kmHighway - Mild Weather 170 kmCombined - Mild Weather 215 km

and the clarification of conditions,

Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions.

Honda e by comparison ... errgh ! 

Honda eHonda e 15 km less range 30% slower acceleration 8% less energy efficient 27% slower fastcharging

Posted (edited)

Peugeot had the VLV 50 mile electric car in 1942. I have ridden a bike faster (40 vs 36km/h....on the flat...ish, wind was probably behind me) but that was the tech almost 80 years ago. 

ED3145BD-084C-41A5-9769-1D8CEA827AEC.jpeg

Edited by Briz Vegas

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, betty boop said:

hey briz, no dont expect you guys see what we do ....zero to sub zero overnight with pretty frosty days last couple :D . definitely still looks like 2 different approaches here.. mini ... small light, smaller battery pack for city run about.... vs Peugeot larger battery pack more to lug around for adding range....

I've found below re range and bmw mini with regards weather .... looks like highway as per review as well of the peugeot does hit range more ... though id say for an inner city car none of these are really i would suggest are a real issue...

https://ev-database.org/car/1163/Mini-Cooper-SE

Real Range between 130 - 280 km
City - Cold Weather 180 km
Highway - Cold Weather 130 km
Combined - Cold Weather 155 km

theres also mild weather ....

City - Mild Weather 280 kmHighway - Mild Weather 170 kmCombined - Mild Weather 215 km

and the clarification of conditions,

Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions.

Honda e by comparison ... errgh ! 

Honda eHonda e 15 km less range 30% slower acceleration 8% less energy efficient 27% slower fastcharging

Those cold weather figures are seriously reductions.

Problematic for lots of Northern hemisphere markets I would have thought.

Not too much bother for much of Aust but I'm in Canberra these days.

EDIT.
Actually don't mind the Honda e. Reflects the early Civics I think.

Is that another EV we won't be seeing here ?

Edited by eman

The EV for people that think they don’t want an EV?

On 28/07/2020 at 6:42 PM, betty boop said:

just look at the electric polestar thats priced way past tesla 3 ! 

I think it measures up okay with the performance 3 on price, and no doubt better put together and MUCH nicer interior. I prefer the looks personally and am probably biased as I've been so impressed with the day to day living with my Volvo interior which shares a fair bit of DNA with the Polestar. The Polestar 2 will be high on our short list as replacement for the wife's S3. We like cars with stiff suspension, that seems to be the only criticism of the Polestar by reviewers so far.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

I think it measures up okay with the performance 3 on price, and no doubt better put together and MUCH nicer interior. I prefer the looks personally and am probably biased as I've been so impressed with the day to day living with my Volvo interior which shares a fair bit of DNA with the Polestar. The Polestar 2 will be high on our short list as replacement for the wife's S3. We like cars with stiff suspension, that seems to be the only criticism of the Polestar by reviewers so far.

am sure it does measure up well, bu that was my point, we have no interest in spending ~100k on a family car :D 

Posted (edited)
On 07/08/2020 at 5:34 AM, Briz Vegas said:

The EV for people that think they don’t want an EV?

Oh I'd have 1 if price was reasonable. Would solve my towing issues and be a great weekend warrior 4WD/camping weapon. I hope in 15 years or so when I'm ready to do my big lap we'll have sufficient battery density and charging infrastructure to make something like a Rivian viable. I wonder how long it will be till technology lets somebody produces a solar roll up tarp

Edited by blybo

30 minutes ago, betty boop said:

am sure it does measure up well, bu that was my point, we have no interest in spending ~100k on a family car :D 

If anything like Volvo, RRP has little in common with driveaway price. I saved around 20% and got a 1.9% finance deal. Made it significantly cheaper to own than my SS Commodore despite $8k higher purchase price

6 minutes ago, blybo said:

If anything like Volvo, RRP has little in common with driveaway price. I saved around 20% and got a 1.9% finance deal. Made it significantly cheaper to own than my SS Commodore despite $8k higher purchase price

oh yeah am sure dealer rrp is long ways from what actually pay, no different in the brands eg bmw audi vW and such. no one pays rrp. but that might only bring price on par with tesla (where everyone pays rrp) but can't see it dropping much even its its 20% off a upwards of $100k price its still not remotely in realm of family car for us... we look at in the 30-40k there-abouts :) like our mazda 3 sp25 that cost us $30k ...different market segment thats all.

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

we look at in the 30-40k there-abouts :) like our mazda 3 sp25 that cost us $30k ...different market segment thats all.

different strokes for different folks. Just like your M140 is way more than 40k. My wife is also running a business so gets tax concessions

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Og I'd have 1 if price was reasonable. Would solve my towing issues and be a great weekend warrior 4WD/camping weapon. I hope in 15 years or so when I'm ready to do my big lap we'll have sufficient battery density and charging infrastructure to make something like a Rivian viable. I wonder how long it will be till technology lets somebody produces a solar roll up tarp

FYI, there's already a round Australia EV charging route, all 3 phase, it was organised by the AEVA and the first EV lap was completed by a 70 year old lady from Mt Isa in a Model S, so you could do it tomorrow, it may not take you where you exactly want to go, but I'm sure that there are now more charging options that when it was announced 3 years ago.

30 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

so you could do it tomorrow,

towing a 3.5 tonne van? What is technically achievable and what is viable are 2 very different things. Now that does not mean I want somebody to go and build infrastructure just for my needs. I just hope it is there in 15 years time. I feel COVID may have put things back by a good 5-7 years at least, especially if requiring gov funding.

5 hours ago, blybo said:

towing a 3.5 tonne van? What is technically achievable and what is viable are 2 very different things. Now that does not mean I want somebody to go and build infrastructure just for my needs. I just hope it is there in 15 years time. I feel COVID may have put things back by a good 5-7 years at least, especially if requiring gov funding.

No, you are unlikely to do it towing a 3.5 ton van. You could probably do most of it, not all of it. You can do all of it if you aren't towing. 

Posted (edited)

Video removed

Edited by Briz Vegas

On 07/08/2020 at 7:03 PM, proftournesol said:

You can do all of it if you aren't towing. 

With 2 people in the car and the usual gear you would take for a long holiday like a couple of bikes on the roof or on a towball hitch? I read the article, she was driving a Model S, so 450km-ish range solo, and still had to limit speed across the Nullabor to increase range and arrived with 16km of range left at one charging stop. Many other impractical charging moments in WA too. It's not even practical in that car with no passengers, never mind somebody wanting to do "the big lap", which usually involves towing something or a big heavy overland expedition 4wd with roof top tent.

Once again I want this to happen, so don't take my comments as overly negative, but I don't see it as doable any time soon, just because somebody was prepared to go out of their way and put up with major charging issues, just to prove is was possible. Our big lap will include many places inland like Karijini National Park and Uluru as well.

4 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

EV wins Targa over Mitsubishi Evo 7 and 911. 

You nearly had me there 😉

130km/hr limited class win.

11 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

You nearly had me there 😉

130km/hr limited class win.

Dang..... I thought it was exceptional.

6 hours ago, blybo said:

With 2 people in the car and the usual gear you would take for a long holiday like a couple of bikes on the roof or on a towball hitch? I read the article, she was driving a Model S, so 450km-ish range solo, and still had to limit speed across the Nullabor to increase range and arrived with 16km of range left at one charging stop. Many other impractical charging moments in WA too. It's not even practical in that car with no passengers, never mind somebody wanting to do "the big lap", which usually involves towing something or a big heavy overland expedition 4wd with roof top tent.

Once again I want this to happen, so don't take my comments as overly negative, but I don't see it as doable any time soon, just because somebody was prepared to go out of their way and put up with major charging issues, just to prove is was possible. Our big lap will include many places inland like Karijini National Park and Uluru as well.

I've done those holidays, 2 people in the car, bikes on a rear hitch. Range is reduced, of course, but I managed a trip over the Victorian Alps to Bairnsdale (gee, that sounds exotic these days). There are also far more charging options now that even when she did her trip, and in a year's time, there'll probably be double that again.

looks like lucid airs range has surpassed tesla with their new sleek thing passing the 500 mile mark with 517 miles....

https://mashable.com/article/lucid-air-electric-vehicle-range/

blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.co

good to see some long range efforts going on... carrs like that will certainly serve our big brown land well...

apparently starts at ... $60k usd