betty boop

electric cars

2 hours ago, proftournesol said:

Tesla will, there's a small car designed by Tesla China that's likely to find a market there and in Europe. As soon as battery costs reach price parity, you'll see it. Tesla are many years ahead of other manufacturers in cost and battery availability. Porsche has sole 6 thousand odd Taycans in the last quarter, constrained by battery availability

Frankly haven't been thrilled by any vehicles out of China. Won't be rushing to get a first gen one of those.

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/volkswagen-id3-1st-edition-not-cheap

yikes vw  ID3 not going to be cheap ! Seems in uk it dits above mini and Honda ev and Tesla but still ends up 40000 gbp ! 

not sure what that would make it here ? Peoples car ? 

It would make it stupidly overpriced.

100k after currency and taxes?

52 minutes ago, eman said:

Don’t think that much... cheapest Tesla in Vic is $74k on road ...

mini electric is 60k on road ...

so if prices in between like in uk makes Vw id3 at $67k ???

which is still crazy as been able to pick up a optioned gti or base golf R for $50k!

prices going up for everything I guess... especially new models even Tesla 3 took price hike of $6k and that’s before on roads :)

No other manufacturer can currently make batteries cheaper than Tesla, in volume. If they are going to be cost competitive at the moment, it'll only be if they come with a smaller pack or cut costs elsewhere

In the meantime my cheap giant old wagon runs problem free and hauls furniture about internally for weather, damage and theft protection.

No incentive for me to buy overpriced electric even though I'm interested....

2 hours ago, proftournesol said:

No other manufacturer can currently make batteries cheaper than Tesla, in volume. If they are going to be cost competitive at the moment, it'll only be if they come with a smaller pack or cut costs elsewhere

What we need is some companies making 3rd party batteries in "bulk", and manufacturers buying from them.  Maybe even lends itself to some standardisation?

2 hours ago, eman said:

I wouldn't go on UK pricing for VW's.

A current Mk 7.5 GTI including on roads lists for 33.5k pounds in the UK.

That's aud$60,000

31 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

What we need is some companies making 3rd party batteries in "bulk", and manufacturers buying from them.  Maybe even lends itself to some standardisation?

lot going on in batteries ... eg GM with their pouches and working on 60% was it better energy efficiency... ? so a bit happening with competition forcing advances...

41 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

I wouldn't go on UK pricing for VW's.

A current Mk 7.5 GTI including on roads lists for 33.5k pounds in the UK.

That's aud$60,000

So that makes electric VW  ID quoted earlier at 40k GBP only about $70k AU?

What a bargain !

(What a racking joke).

6 minutes ago, eman said:

What a bargain !

(What a racking joke).

as i posted earlier will be somewhere about there ... around $67k possibly... and yeah for what its s ...thats a bit out rageous... keeping in mind in uk they do get cash backs and such..to ease the pain... but so are joys of the early adopter if wanting to live on the bleeding edge ... makes the little mini electric look like a bargain... though its priced about twice what likely should be ! for type car it is as well... :D

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

Don’t think that much... cheapest Tesla in Vic is $74k on road ...

mini electric is 60k on road ...

so if prices in between like in uk makes Vw id3 at $67k ???

which is still crazy as been able to pick up a optioned gti or base golf R for $50k!

prices going up for everything I guess... especially new models even Tesla 3 took price hike of $6k and that’s before on roads :)

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, eman said:

What a bargain !

(What a racking joke).

You've  obviously missed the point of my post.

I'll simplify it for you.

UK pricing for VW cars bears no relation at all to what they cost here.

Edited by ArthurDent

23 hours ago, eman said:

Frankly haven't been thrilled by any vehicles out of China. Won't be rushing to get a first gen one of those.

Most but not all Volvos are made in China. China doesn't need to mean crap.

Coming from a cycling background well over 90% of carbon fibre frames and components have always been made in China (or Taiwan), but that is where the expertise is. Sure there are budget or no name branded frames coming from China too, but I would avoid them like the plague.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as i posted earlier will be somewhere about there ... around $67k possibly... and yeah for what its s ...thats a bit out rageous

Early adopters (yes I'm looking at you @betty boop with your AV gear :thumb:) are always forced to lube up and bend over to get the latest and greatest. Then prices plummet as the tech matures. My first DVD player cost $1400 back around 1997. What would that be in today's $$$ and it is worth nothing.

Edited by blybo

39 minutes ago, blybo said:

Early adopters (yes I'm looking at you @betty boop with your AV gear :thumb:) are always forced to lube up and bend over to get the latest and greatest. Then prices plummet as the tech matures. My first DVD player cost $1400 back around 1997. What would that be in today's $$$ and it is worth nothing.

oh yeah ive paid a small fortune over years with hifi and av gear... DVD player...blu-ray...uhd... though am not so sure we are seeing much price drop anymore in the AV ...look how much my marantz processor replacement has gone upto its current replacement a $8k thing now days which is crazy !  :D uhd players havent come down at all either in 5 years... quality still costs ...or prices of everything is just going up and up ! crazy ! 

definitely still agree pay a price for latest greatest... and yeah draw line at cars :D not paying 2x plus on something like that for privilege especially when potentially $50-$100k items ... am in for long run so can happily own my current car another 8 years with very low continued cost of ownership ... so happy to keep doing that while electric cars sort self out.. we will have 1st gen likely 2nd gen in that time from some makers.... given model runs usually 4 years or so...some brands only do new models every 7-8 years... we might replace our family car with something suitable in that time... but again wont be paying this early up for anything, maybe still in some years time...

All valid points Betty, but for  me the time was right for an EV.  Still young enough to enjoy a nice car with performance pretensions but old enough to get affordable insurance, had. been waiting decades to get into a practical all purpose EV and finally had a no compromise option, had to pay through the nose for it but didn’t have to go into debt for it ( timing, timing, timing), got a “launch edition” spec bargain ( performance for long range price).

For my decision to make any sort of sense I need to still be driving it in 15 years time, but that’s entirely possible and I will officially be old at that point.  I also get to drive what I consider to be a future minor classic car from new. My only fear is long  term future support for all the tech, but honestly, if it all falls in a heap I am happy to have got in early enough to still be an early adopter.

Posted (edited)

Looks like Mini e is an efficient little beast.  You get 160km range at 120km/hr and 235km at 90km/hr.  That is Ioniq/Model 3 ( benchmark) efficiency levels even at high speed. Given highway traffic in my area you would be lucky to average anywhere near 90km/hr on a trip up or down the coast. It’s still a bit compromised for  range but for the fun factor it could almost be forgiven.  NRMA in NSW are putting in a network of chargers at 150km intervals.  You would also need base mini 1  spec because the launch the addition is way too expensive for a 30kW usable battery.

I had a laugh at Bjorn’s space test.  The car is tiny but he has fun trying to make it work. I like the green on this car but maybe a white roof and white bonnet stripes to make it look feisty ( photo for illustration purposes only).

3E2A4899-4DDE-4BCB-A9BC-B6D98F638548.png

Edited by Briz Vegas

hehe i like how he couldn't open the hood :D its a bmw silly... have to pull the hood release twice :D 

yeah you wouldn't be buying the mini for lugging banana boxes ! i see its now last on the list literally for space ! the egolf strangely not much better with only 2-3 boxes more in space ... strange....

the boot on the mini looks smaller than on the fiat 500 ! :D which is saying something... i see they have dispensed with even the spare wheel... talk about space saver lets dispense with that too to save space :D though its common kinda thing now days...

the range on the mini will be fine for city car I think.... and as chargers become more common should take folk further ... though am not sure folk be too keen to want to be stopping for a charge every 150km or so...

all will improve in time am sure ...battery density might mean even less weight/space for battery size ... or just increase in size a tad....

still think mini is it probably THE small electric car to buy on aussie market and be that ways for a while ... till Peugeot and like come along... if they do...

good on bmw to make it a local option this early in the piece....

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about the VW ID.3

Rumoured to be around mid $40k's here in Australia.

oh wow ! now this is interesting.... 

Electric Volvo P1800 could be the start of a retro revolution

https://www.caradvice.com.au/869055/electric-volvo-p1800-could-be-the-start-of-a-retro-revolution/

r04lrsg146ilswgwt5df.jpg

no tail pipes....

qpze2cytdtienf67eerx.jpg

could just be a birthday special...but gee love those classic P coupe's I wish they'd make a return ...though no doubt volvo will price them well out of reach just look at the electric polestar thats priced way past tesla 3 ! 

and no surprise renault is locally axing its zoe electric car here...

Id say its a shame but really it's been a non event in a shopping trolley of a car that was selling at what was a silly price... it waste even available for public purchase at one point ! not sure even seen one on the road....

https://www.drive.com.au/news/renault-say-it-s-here-to-stay-as-sales-halve-in-five-years-123981.html?

"The French car maker will streamline its range, axing the Clio city hatchback and Zoe electric car – and keep the Megane RS hot hatch as the only passenger-car options – and instead focus on the fastest growing segments of the market: SUVs and vans."

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, betty boop said:

and no surprise renault is locally axing its zoe electric car here...

Id say its a shame but really it's been a non event in a shopping trolley of a car that was selling at what was a silly price... it waste even available for public purchase at one point ! not sure even seen one on the road....

https://www.drive.com.au/news/renault-say-it-s-here-to-stay-as-sales-halve-in-five-years-123981.html?

"The French car maker will streamline its range, axing the Clio city hatchback and Zoe electric car – and keep the Megane RS hot hatch as the only passenger-car options – and instead focus on the fastest growing segments of the market: SUVs and vans."

The problem with Zoe was a mix of half hearted support, the unfortunate nature of the Australian market and the slightly hobbled tech.  If Renault did a Suzuki Jimni EV type product there would be a niche that would pay the premium.  It would need fast charging and a unique selling feature like four wheel drive via dual motors, even if they were relatively tiny motors. You would probably need a 50 kW pack as well.

I am starting to wonder about the MG ZS as well because it’s a me too two wheel drive soft roader with a discounted petrol brother. It’s fine for the UK market but Australian’s want something more outdoorsy. I little rock crawler, even with 250 highway km capability, might excite fisherman and women.  Offer accessories like a solar shade structure that can trickle charge your car or just run a tiny fridge via the traction battery while you are at your campsite.  It might rarely get used but people would pay the premium.

“Getting warmer” might be this.

Edited by Briz Vegas

1 hour ago, Briz Vegas said:

The problem with Zoe was a mix of half hearted support, the unfortunate nature of the Australian market and the slightly hobbled tech.  If Renault did a Suzuki Jimni EV type product there would be a niche that would pay the premium.  It would need fast charging and a unique selling feature like four wheel drive via dual motors, even if they were relatively tiny motors. You would probably need a 50 kW pack as well.

Just reminder having a product isn’t enough ... though Renault Nissan scalded twice now a leaf they couldn’t sell and a Zoe that wouldn’t ! 

What can I say...