betty boop

electric cars

3 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

My VW has cost me stuff all since I got it three years ago. (It’s a 2014) 
I have to say that VW Australia is awesome to deal with and they have fixed any problems/recalls with no fuss and no charge. 

* I let them do their service every interval but I refuse to let them do anything other than oil and filters. The rest is done by me. 

I don’t even let my Toyota service dept wash the car, even though it’s free!   I hate people touching that paint work, absolutely paranoid!    

Guest jakeyb77
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I don’t even let my Toyota service dept wash the car, even though it’s free!   I hate people touching that paint work, absolutely paranoid!    

Exactly. I do understand that not everyone can do it. But I’ve found my German cars cheaper in the long run to any Ford/Holden I ever owned. 
Last time the VW dealer came back and said there is $600 work we need to do. I said what is it not thinking anything major was wrong. It was the spark plugs!!!!! GTFOH 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by jakeyb77

13 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

It was the spark plugs!!!!! GTFOH 😂😂😂😂😂

I had a car, a V6, and the rear 3 spark plugs could only be replaced by removing the manifold.  They put platinum plugs in so you didn't have to do it as often LOL

On 27/06/2020 at 11:00 AM, Addicted to music said:

Not sure,  but be very cautious to predictive maintenance as you can see above in the screens I’d supplied, there are disadvantages.... it’s all about cost and fear into making you spend more, even under warranty and serves as promotional sales marketing!  

in the cut throat printer industry they base charges on print counters that covers parts and labour that’s existed in this country from day dot....   it’s all to do with keeping factories production line rolling....   Someone who wouldn’t understand the industry and has no experience can financially ruin the business by implementing “predictive maintenance “  it’s not how the industry stays competitive under those billing charges,  but will work in the automotive space,  some parts that are on the list can last say the life of the machine,  why would I replace that periodically according to the predictive cycle set?  It’s what I regard as “waste implementation”.     Note that a Toyota now base there periodic service on time and not km! 

my servicing is covered for next 8 years should be no cost to me..... and it has not cost me anything so far last 2 years so am pretty happy with it. the whole reason behind condition based maintenance is to reduce cost... ie stop the silly time based stuff where replacing things when perfectly good.  absolutely as you say there is no need to replace periodically :)

run to failure is also not a good path though... so why i think the predictive and condition monitoring approach a far better one...

Posted (edited)

Honda E in the wild.  Why anyone would buy this over an e208 with its 50kWh battery and it’s styling I don’t know. To me this just looks cheap and tiny.  I even prefer the VW UP, it’s really basic but way cheaper and with a bigger battery.  

Edited by Briz Vegas

29 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

Honda E in the wild.  Why anyone would buy this over an e208 with its 50kWh battery and it’s styling I don’t know. To me this just looks cheap and tiny.  I even prefer the VW UP, it’s really basic but way cheaper and with a bigger battery.  

they managed a smaller boot than the fiat 500 ? how on earth is that possible :D more I see of the car more it comes across as a gimmick vehicle... to capture attention. the headline for the Honda E is the E bit I would have thought, am not sure why they need all the gimmicks on it to get folks interest...

It just looks like a Mk I Golf

VW ID3 has a R future... article below is is really still only an indication of their interest as they say still 5 years away... for obvious reasons while the ID3 has a 330-500km range clearly bumping up power with existing battery will just rob significantly for range....

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/volkswagen-id3-r-confirmed-76170

Volkswagen sales boss, Jurgen Stackmann, told Autocar: “If there is a future for R it must be electric, it’s very simple.”

But don’t get too excited just yet, because Stackmann went on to say that it could take another five years for Volkswagen to develop a new powertrain for it. That’s because Volkswagen says it needs time to combine both the performance expected from an R model with a practical range for an electric car. At present, increasing the performance of an electric motor can reduce the range and with the regular ID.3 having a range between 330km and 550km depending on the battery pack fitted.

Volkswagen R&D boss Frank Welsch said while the ID.3 has been developed with quiet, efficient motoring in mind, he was confident that it could be turned into an appealing hot hatch. He indicated that that ID.3 R would feature both a high-performance electric motor and all-wheel drive.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, proftournesol said:

It just looks like a Mk I Golf

Vaguely. I know which one I'd rather be driving.

82_Volkswagen_Golf_Gti.jpg

Edited by ArthurDent

Polestar Precept looks simply magnificent in this photo. 

jpg_medium-polestar_precept_013a.jpg?h=4

Zwickau car factory to produce only electric models in future.

After 116 years: the end of production of the Golf Variant concludes Zwickau tradition of combustion engine vehicles. Transformation into Europe’s largest electric vehicle factory: six electric models of the brands Volkswagen, Audi and Seat will be manufactured in 2021. Reinhard de Vries, Managing Director of Technology and Logistics at Volkswagen Sachsen: “Today is a historic day for us. We are proud of what we have achieved so far, and at the same time are greatly looking forward to what the future holds for us. The trend towards electric mobility will continue to pick up speed. We will meet this demand from Zwickau: we have already created the capacity to build 330,000 vehicles next year.”

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/transformation-continuing-apace-zwickau-car-factory-to-produce-only-electric-models-in-future-6154

Harry seems to have a love hate relationship with the Mini E.  He seems to like a bit of hooligan in his EVs.  Funny that he didn’t try track mode on his test Model 3 ( he thought it lacked engagement as a driving device)..  Regardless, Harry is still probably my favourite reviewer.  We don’t have to agree on everything.

good on you for posting it briz, harry is one guy i dont mind his take on things especially EVs seems to tell it like it is, 

I picked up on a few things from his video...

price ... shocker ! 10k gbp more than cooper s . rip off...

sits higher ... ??? 

29kwh tiny vs even fiat 500 42kwh

90mile range - severely compromised - deal breaker, expectation 170-190miles...

likes - dynamics, that small battery. doesnt look like an EV. normal EV.

feels early days...not getting one... will 5 door get a bigger battery ? 

I myself thought gee it seems to torque steer a bit and way too much tyre screeching :D needs more rubber ? 

I hope he does a review on the little fiat 500 or the peugeot...

Posted (edited)

Bjorn Nyland had fun on back roads in the e208 but it’s got 150kg of extra battery over the mini..  It probably doesn’t focus on the driver as much but by reputation is easily better than a Zoe, which I found to be a dull steer. 

I enjoy driving my Model 3 on a drivers road but ultimately it is a heavy car and occasionally you notice that weight, like if you come around a corner and someone is turning into a driveway. Suddenly you notice that you have a lot of mass to pull up.

On the up side, steep hills don’t exist.  There is a bit of a roll-coaster on the way to Mt Crosby so I thought I would head out that way for a Sunday spin.  I had not been that way in decades and suddenly found myself behind a couple of struggling small SUVs on an incline. I just thought “ no, this isn’t it is it”, this is nothing.

73385D90-0D65-467C-BD00-A0CEC4FFD831.jpeg

Edited by Briz Vegas

1 hour ago, Briz Vegas said:

Bjorn Nyland had fun on back roads in the e208 but it’s got 150kg of extra battery over the mini..  It probably doesn’t focus on the driver as much but by reputation is easily better than a Zoe, which I found to be a dull steer. 

its something harry picked up that with the mini, bmw has kept many off the aspects of feel of the mini, thanks goodness ! so no doubt the decision to go with the smaller battery was a choice for the moment... to not compromise too much the dynamics of the mini. some compromise already eg the needing to jack the car up as he has shown to fit in the battery in the underfloor...making them having to SUV style fill in the gap created in the wheel arches with those plastic fill ins you see on SUVs due to their jacked up nature.  as harry said perhaps the mini is 5 years too early... in 5 years will we look back and perhaps will laugh at how small the battery is ... when ev battery energy density is far better :)

1 hour ago, Briz Vegas said:

I enjoy driving my Model 3 on a drivers road but ultimately it is a heavy car and occasionally you notice that weight, like if you come around a corner and someone is turning into a driveway. Suddenly you notice that you have a lot of mass to pull up.

going from my micro city car i had to small hot hatch its something i noticed to. hard not to notice.. :)

I found this interesting comment on a Tesla forum regarding JD Power ratings

My comments are based on having worked with JD Power on behalf of a major OEM luxury vehicles.
In this and other JD Power related comments nobody seems to be understanding what the 233 question initial quality survey (IQS) really is. It includes all items with equal weight and specifically includes:
U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS)
By survey definition, 'problems' are defined to explicitly include 'learning curve' issues, and weighs any learning curve issues as 'problems. Four of the nine categories are ones that make into problems anything at all that requires reading or learning anything to sue the vehicle. For that reason, and no other, the rankings reflect vehicle differences from generic simple vehicles. That means that cheap simple vehicles are the ones with the best ratings and complex or unusual ones have poor ratings. Check out the rankings and you'll see that is the major influencer of rankings.

Thus almost no highly ranked vehicle ever can have high ratings and the most unusual and/or most technologically advanced one will be at the bottom. A Tesla is the definitive unusual and technologically advanced vehicle so it will be at the bottom of the IQS.
Similarly the vehicles with highest loyalty measured by any reputable surveys tend to be inversely correlated with their IQS ratings.

For years Porsche, Mercedes Benz and BMW higher end models held the relative positions similar to those of Tesla today. 

Starting in the early 1990's that began to change, although the general relationships have not. Why? The answer is simple: manufacturers began to design vehicles to optimize IQS. Thus brands such as Lexus, the first to design for IQS, made controls as simple as possible and did everything they could to eliminate anything unusual in any way. Others did not, and sought distinction and increased functions. Those, like BMW and Porsche, suffered in IQS but gained in owner loyalty.

For understandable but misguided reasons JD Power retained the name IQS and continued to represent it as something related to actual manufacturing quality or defects. Those are included, but all the ranking differences tend to relate to the four categories of Climate, Driving Assistance, features/controls/displays and Infotainment. Again, why?

Simply stated the actual quality of vehicle construction has risen by orders of magnitude in the last two decades because increased quality control and increased cost efficiency are closely related and have been assisted by increased automation and other quality control techniques. So, the differentiating factors have essentially nothing to do with actual quality.

Why, then all the endless complaints about poor Tesla quality? I think there are four principal factors: 1) until about 2014 Tesla Model S had quite a few problems, until ~2017 Model X had FWD etc, in 2017 Model 3 had 'production hell'. That sequence of manufacturing and technology learning curves was true. 2) Operating a Tesla is different than other vehicles and many of our prized features, like FSD, are Beta; nobody else has the willingness to allow customers to use something before ti is 'bulletproof'
3) The Fudsters and other negative people seek to magnify anything at all and create negatives if they can. 4) Tesla eschews the dealer system. That makes customer service odd and unconventional as does the online initiation for nearly all encounters.

Those four have nothing much to do with the actual vehicles which is why Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction and owner enthusiasm in the industry. Of course, because owners are passionate about their Tesla vehicles, owners are also very critical, obsessively so. Thus we all complain incessantly, as do I. again, of course, most of us buy more Tesla vehicles after our first ones and then gripe about delivery issues, upgrade sequences, etc. Probably we'll all keep doing that as will the increasing numbers of new Tesla drivers. Yet again, of course, the new drivers will complain because their new Tesla does not get the 'promised range', even when the new 'P' owners are doing repeated launches in the dead of winter.

In conclusion, we ought to stop thinking the JD Power IQS ha anything to do with panel gaps etc. It doesn't.

6 hours ago, proftournesol said:

I found this interesting comment on a Tesla forum regarding JD Power ratings

Yes, interesting. In my experience most surveys (and many tests/evaluations) have so many problems as to make them almost useless.😞 

Without access to the original questions and data you really have no idea what the results actually mean. Boy, they sure are popular though.

The new generation 2021 Citroen C4 has been launched globally, with an electric powertrain at the forefront of the car maker’s expansion plans – however its Australian plans are yet to be confirmed.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2021-citroen-c4-launched-with-petrol-diesel-and-electric-options-123855.html?

looks like Citroen e-C4 coming or 2021  (and based on the peugeot and PSA shared platform) will come with a 50kwh battery,

like the interior... while touch screen the french understand ergonomics learning from prior efforts and with things like AC controls left to real controls rather than through the touch screen.

BKj8vhWZQwCTOegeXjZ2

jm1xT87OTaG571H5oxXI

who can say no to comfy seats and hydro suspension ! 

"Passenger comfort – a feature of Citroen cars for decades – is provided with Advanced Comfort Seats

and Progressive Hydraulic Cushion suspension."

good power and range as well by the looks ...

"The fully-electric version, called the Citroen e-C4, uses a 50kWh battery powering a 100kW/260Nm electric motor, and has a claimed range of 350 kilometres on the new real-world (WLTP) test cycle.

According to Citroen, the e-C4 can be recharged to 80 per cent capacity within 30 minutes using a 100kW fast charger."

Ever since I was a kid i have liked Citroen design.  On this one I prefer the top half to the bottom, which is a bit naff.  A friend caught my French car bug and is on his third, the brilliant Grand Picasso.  Yeah, sure, resale is an issue so you kind of have to hang on to them, but it’s fun to drive something different and makes going to chemist an occasion.

Who wants to be like everybody else on the road, can’t think of anything worse ( exaggeration of course).  

I've owned 3 Citroens but they have become boring appliances since they became a part of PSA. They've even dropped hydropneumatic suspension.

Tesla is the innovative car maker that Citroen used to be

Posted (edited)

Getting ready for the weekend today so I had the car plugged in.  I checked the cumulative fuel economy for the first 9 months of Model 3 performance ownership (18 inch wheel spec).

I am averaging 144Wh per km which equals an average range of 500km or 314 miles per 100% charge. I have only ever needed to charge to 90% and the lowest I have gone is in the 20% range because.....I tend to over plan rather than under plan. 

The EPA economy spec on this car is ....310 miles of autonomy. Try achieving that (EPA economy) in a BMW M3.  I mostly drive smoothly and somewhat conservatively without hypermiling, but I am also rarely second away from stop lights for some reason.

Interestingly the most efficient EVs are the sleek ones with a low Cd  ( Ioniq/model 3) not the small ones (Zoe/Mini/308).

I would be interest to hear from other EV owners on here.  What are you getting with typical use. Is it good, bad or meh?

Edited by Briz Vegas

30 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

Getting ready for the weekend today so I had the car plugged in.  I checked the cumulative fuel economy for the first 9 months of Model 3 performance ownership (18 inch wheel spec).

I am averaging 144Wh per km which equals an average range of 500km or 314 miles per 100% charge. I have only ever needed to charge to 90% and the lowest I have gone is in the 20% range because.....I tend to over plan rather than under plan. 

The EPA economy spec on this car is ....310 miles of autonomy. Try achieving that (EPA economy) in a BMW M3.  I mostly drive smoothly and somewhat conservatively without hypermiling, but I am also rarely second away from stop lights for some reason.

Interestingly the most efficient EVs are the sleek ones with a low Cd  ( Ioniq/model 3) not the small ones (Zoe/Mini/308).

I would be interest to hear from other EV owners on here.  What are you getting with typical use. Is it good, bad or meh?

Yours is very good. I'm a lead foot and hammer mine though so there's no point comparing. I get basically double the consumption you get at 280Wh/km (in a model S P100D.)

I get around 160- 180 Wh/km in summer, 200Wh/km in winter. Battery heating uses a lot of power in winter, especially now that I'm not doing any Hume Hwy commuting so most of my trips are short. It's barely got over 12 degrees here for the last 2 weeks, 7 degrees today

Posted (edited)

Not really fair to compare a Victorian EV to a Brisbane one, which makes it somewhat weird that there are probably 3 times as many EVs in southern capitals.  I have now seen an S and X and about 5 model 3s in my adjoining outer eastern suburbs, 2 of which may not have been local local.

I was somewhat surprised to achieve EPA economy despite not using my car for a regular commute in stop start traffic, which is the EV sweet spot.  

The cheapest 50km or 60km daily commute car ( would need to be a 2 car household) in Australia would have to be a second hand import Nissan Leaf, but a quick check in car sales has surprised me at the prices.  You are looking at $18k for an eight year old locally delivered example with the early dodgy battery tech. It’s definitely the cheapest to run $18k commuter car by a country mile, but you would be better off grabbing a 2015/16 with the better battery for low $20k. It’s the city commute king. If only they came in frog green. 🙂

Edited by Briz Vegas