betty boop

electric cars

1 hour ago, blybo said:

There's still relative transparency in pricing as they have to compete with other dealers, especially in major cities. The Tesla's website wasn't working for you either. How long did you have to wait for delivery after laying down how much to get in line? Were you offered any deals?

I'm a bit like @betty boop here, I'm all for EV's, they just aren't there yet in many aspects. Personally I can't get either of my cars in the driveway at present, let alone the garage. I'd be reliant on a virtually non existent charging network. An EV would make perfect sense for my wife's next car as we don't take her car on long trips, but EV's wouldn't hang with her current car on the twisty "drivers" roads we both drove it on over the long weekend, as the EV would be far heavier and those drivers B roads are more about grip and traction than outright power.

I put a deposit on my car a year before there was even a Tesla presence in Australia, so I waited a year, my car arrived in the second shipment. There were no deals, the price was the price, but, once ordered, the price was fixed despite currency fluctuations. Lucky for me I bought it when the dollar was at parity with the US$. I didn't miss the 'special deals', I knew just what I was paying. It was the best car buying experience I've had (the bar is low)

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I'm a bit like @betty boop here, I'm all for EV's, they just aren't there yet in many aspects. Personally I can't get either of my cars in the driveway at present, let alone the garage. I'd be reliant on a virtually non existent charging network. An EV would make perfect sense for my wife's next car as we don't take her car on long trips, but EV's wouldn't hang with her current car on the twisty "drivers" roads we both drove it on over the long weekend, as the EV would be far heavier and those drivers B roads are more about grip and traction than outright power.

Whinging about the lack of EVs at the start of their presence in market isn't productive. There won't be a fit for everyone right now, and some opportunities in future aren't going to be direct replacements either. How we use, own, engage with mobility is going to change. The automotive industry doesn't even call itself 'automotive' anymore. 

I wouldn't rush to suggest an EV wouldn't hang on the twisty bits - it's a different driving experience, sure, but some do very, very well. Grip/traction excellent - weight isn't as dominant as you'd might think. Worth a drive! EVs can be fast and very much engaging.  Different 'engaging' but not unworthy. 

2 hours ago, blybo said:

Having said that I'd love our family to own a Model 3, but convincing my wife to buy one will be tough.

Send her along for a test drive