betty boop

electric cars

Posted (edited)

Edited by rmpfyf

2 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

There are so many actors to consider (grid limits, demand response, voltage level) that i'd not read too much into videos.  Cars are limited at the cathode and more generally, thermally. Those differences won't change without a significant shift in technology base, which is common to Tesla, Porsche... everyone else.

Be nice. More videos eventually.

Eh? I wasn't being nasty. I was just saying there was no need for me to specify a charging video. Any of the existing ones would do to demonstrate what the real world 800V charging currently is.

Posted (edited)

Edited by rmpfyf

25 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

See earlier comments around 'real world'. I'm involved in a number of DC-fast projects ATM, all support 800V, consistent 350kW support is a different thing altogether. 'Tis a lot of power to get out of the grid in any location, let alone where we tend to put DC-fast (in the middle of nowhere). 

Interesting. The existing videos show them definitely hitting 800V, but presumably you're saying they can't really maintain the current necessary to hit the targeted 350kW. The question then becomes - is the vehicle tapering to 250kW within a few minutes, or the charger? Hrm.

Posted (edited)

Edited by rmpfyf

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

If it's warm/saturated it can be the vehicle.

Well even at only 130kW my vehicle's cooling tends to sound like a jet taking off especially in warm weather so it sounds feasible. I haven't heard what a model 3 sounds like at 250kW (some of the existing owners get close to those rates at the local Chargefox connectors.)

Edited by Ittaku

Posted (edited)

Edited by rmpfyf

some further electric car news,

cheapest electric car in the world to debut in india...made by great wall...

https://inc42.com/buzz/worlds-cheapest-electric-car-to-debut-in-india-this-year/

also work continuing on battery tech with Nikola motors claiming tech to cut battery price in half and doubling range,

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/could-new-battery-slash-cost-electric-car-n1107881

and this with upping its life cycle.

"Nikola claims that preliminary testing shows the batteries can withstand 2,000 charge and discharge cycles, or twice the current industry standard for motor vehicles. If that were to prove valid in real-world applications, it would suggest a truck could clock over 1.5 million miles before needing to replace the pack.

The technology also could find other applications, not only in passenger cars but even in consumer devices, such as cellphones, Nikola indicated.

Several technologies appear to offer promise, including “solid state” batteries that replace the chemical slurry in lithium-ion batteries with a ceramic material. Toyota is just one of the automakers sponsoring research into solid state technology which, proponents claim, could drop the price of an automotive battery from somewhere between $120 and $145 per kilowatt-hour today to less than $70, and perhaps as low as $50."

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

also work continuing on battery tech with Nikola motors claiming tech to cut battery price in half and doubling range,

Love hearing news on developing battery tech.  Fingers crossed we get the big improvement soon.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Love hearing news on developing battery tech.  Fingers crossed we get the big improvement soon.

I've seen so many news article about battery technology breakthroughs in the last few years... I'm pretty sure we'll only keep seeing small incremental improvements in real production for some time to come.

Edited by Ittaku

Another link to Betty Boops find.

You would have to presume that at $12k US this little Honda E copy is cutting some corners and specs quoted might be on the generous side.  On the safety side ( always a concern with domestic Chinese product until shown otherwise) it was interesting to note that the MG ICE to EV jumped that car from 3 to 5 star. Maybe this could be OK based that.  Might be OK.

Would you buy a $25K city EV as a second city car solution that did a real world 250km range, 0 to 100 in 11.5 seconds, 130km/hr top speed? I reckon  to broaden the appeal you could have an SUV twin. Add an inch to the ride height and plastic wheel arch trim, maybe roof racks and a pod to make up for no boot.

Jimmin-E.

3 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

You would have to presume that at $12k US this little Honda E copy is cutting some corners and specs quoted might be on the generous side.

that is probably a good pickup, it is a bit of an honda EV rip off, not sure why the Chinese have to do this and cant do something on their on steam.

On the safety side ( always a concern with domestic Chinese product until shown otherwise)

this is always the concern, especially the unknown also under hood and what will find in the years to come...eg the asbestos in last great wall efforts...

Would you buy a $25K city EV as a second city car solution that did a real world 250km range, 0 to 100 in 11.5 seconds, 130km/hr top speed? I reckon  to broaden the appeal you could have an SUV twin. Add an inch to the ride height and plastic wheel arch trim, maybe roof racks and a pod to make up for no boot.

for a chinese thing especially a great wall .... that is likely in the "suspect" category for most....I reckon $20k or less is more like it. from any other maker... i reckon folks would pay $25k for a city run about....250km range would be plenty ... and 11.5s 0-100 is more than ample... more important the handling though.. some of these little city cars are atrocious in this regard, can learn a lot from the fiat 500. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, betty boop said:

some further electric car news,

cheapest electric car in the world to debut in india...made by great wall...

https://inc42.com/buzz/worlds-cheapest-electric-car-to-debut-in-india-this-year/

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/could-new-battery-slash-cost-electric-car-n1107881

and this with upping its life cycle.

"Nikola claims that preliminary testing shows the batteries can withstand 2,000 charge and discharge cycles, or twice the current industry standard for motor vehicles. If that were to prove valid in real-world applications, it would suggest a truck could clock over 1.5 million miles before needing to replace the pack.

The technology also could find other applications, not only in passenger cars but even in consumer devices, such as cellphones, Nikola indicated.

Several technologies appear to offer promise, including “solid state” batteries that replace the chemical slurry in lithium-ion batteries with a ceramic material. Toyota is just one of the automakers sponsoring research into solid state technology which, proponents claim, could drop the price of an automotive battery from somewhere between $120 and $145 per kilowatt-hour today to less than $70, and perhaps as low as $50."

Toyota is pushing this Solid State and debut by 2022

https://www.caradvice.com.au/802549/toyota-debuting-solid-state-batteries-in-2020/

Edited by Addicted to music

Sonys Vision S concept ... at CES

https://www.caradvice.com.au/818088/sony-vision-s-concept/?fbclid=IwAR0nBD6lvge6n-xsx1iTy-a-fsbzIeyD45Jfjhl3TpEJx-mRXpjEkZApprY

"We spent all this time waiting for Apple to unveil its heavily reported (and now dead) 'Project Titan' car, and here was Sony quietly working away at one of its own: the Vision-S electric car, unveiled at this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Clearly designed to production readiness, there can be little doubt Sony loves the idea of a market debut for the Vision-S, with the concept engineered by veteran contract builder Magna Steyr. Sony's official press release does not directly confirm this detail, but CEO Kenichiro Yoshida thanked the company on stage."

image.png

lpva1m83dg6cqgndinug.jpg

1 minute ago, Hergest said:

Good looking Sony. An ES?

Vision ES :D 

magna steyr make some impressive cars, imagine this is quite something :)

Bytons M-Byte EV... smartphone on wheels ? :D going to the ridiculous a 48" screen ??? really ? 

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/304183-byton-pushes-m-byte-ev-as-first-smart-device-on-wheels

byton_BYTON-xViacomAccess.jpg

ontop of the 48" screen is it really necessary to have a Nintendo switch like steering wheel as well ?:D 

and also seems a lot of EVs at CES....

"Lots of EVs at CES (Who’s Going to Buy Them?)

Byton is not alone in choosing CES 2020 to make a big splash. The Car/Electronics Show, or so it seems, is awash in electric vehicles. Their optimism of their makers is good news. But a big question remains for these CES showcase companies and vehicles …

• BMW i3 Urban Suite
  • Byton M-Byte
  • Fiat Concept Centoventi
  • Fisker Ocean
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Mercedes-Benz ECQ
  • Nissan Ariya (likely Nissan Leaf successor), possibly the most important CES EV announcement
  • Rivian R1S (SUV) and R1T (pickup)

… and the question is: When will the US public shift over from combustion-engine vehicles to pure EVs? Final 2019 EV sales numbers are still coming in but, in the US, in 2018, total sales of non-Tesla battery electric vehicles (pure EVs) were just 50,000 units. In the first three weeks of January, Ford’s F-Series pickups outsold a full year of everybody-but-Tesla EVs.

With its 48-inch display, a team of executives from the US, Europe, and Asia, and solid funding, Byton may well be one of the EV makers with staying power. But it’s an uphill climb for everyone."

Who is going to buy them indeed.  

As much as I love my car it’s really hard when friends and acquaintances enthusiastically ask “ how much” because I basically went fully mid life crisis and bought a BMW 3 series equivalent (choosing the far superior drivetrain and drastically lower running costs of the Model 3 over BMW bling) after coming from a mid spec 2015 French hatchback. To encourage converts I really want to be able to say, “well it was $10k more that my last car but it will save me that much over 4 years, after which it’s all savings, and it’s just a nicer thing to own”.

OMG.  It will happen in Australia in 2020. 

my actual last car = 2015 (2014 build) Peugeot 308 front drive mid spec auto hatch.$36,500. 5 star safety.  

2020 solution- MG ZS EV front drIve hatch CUV ( which everyone seems to buy these days, far far more than my semi premium French hatch) $46,990 drive away. 5 star safety.

You can nit pick the pros and cons but I think you could argue that they are at similar levels overall. The MG ZS EV has decent tech and could be a real mainstream seller in Australia.  Aussies took to Hyundai, why not MG.

You can pay $46,000 for a Hyundai Santa Fe diesel. Why would you pay that and deal with the running costs and stink of a diesel. 10% of customers might say “but I commute to Roma”,  but 90% commute 40 minutes to town and drive an hour to the beach on weekends. 

MG will be the EV story in Australia for 2020 ( along with increasing common Model 3s)  if MG provide decent stock.  As a new brand they will cannibalise their other products to a lesser degree. Dealers might even make an effort to sell them.

one year on owners viewpoint...some good things covered

exterior design

fit finish and materials inside and out - panel gaps and paint

boot space and accessing

interior room and visibility

ergonomics

performance

ride and dynamics given weight

steering

road feel

autopilot

infotainment

app

Posted (edited)

Some observations on the 12 month review above:

- quality is fine for normal people.  I look after my cars the old fashioned way.  I have concerns about wraps as I understand they last 4 or 5 years.  We have enough plastic pollution thanks.

- “adaptive suspension expected for cars at this price” - right, when the BMW 3 series or Lexus comes with dual motors and over 70 kWh of electricity storage I might listen to this, but otherwise it’s a silly statement.  

- tyres - I believe in the US you get common or garden Camry level tyres, in Australia you get Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tyres.

- touch screen instead of buttons - no longer an issue ( not that it was for me). If I want to see the energy graph I press the one button on the right of the steering wheel and say “ show energy”, read the graph, then “ hide energy” same process ( different command) for wiper speed, navigation, to open the glove box, same to open and fold mirrors etc etc etc.  I have not tried it yet but the car will even read your emails to you and dictate them.........which is really dumb.  You are driving a car , pay attention.

- concerned about his next non-electric car?.  Idiot. I can understand people not knowing about EVs, or being suspicious of new stuff?  Upfront cost vs a Toyota Yaris, yup,  I get that. Maybe you like to work on your own car. Cool.  I could understand going back to a bike or a horse, but petrol?  If I can’t get another electric I would just keep driving my current one, which I hope to do anyway.

He didn’t mention the silence benefit.  I love backing into my driveway to the sound of tyres on gravel and driveway.  It’s like arriving home after a bicycle ride or a walk - it’s so calm and zen like.  You can also manoeuvre as slow as you want with great control on a sloping driveway.  Arrivals are awesome.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Unverified Tesla Australia sales

539 for December. 

3793 for the year. 

3529 since model 3 deliveries started. 

Total of 7,071.

3,542 was the total prior to Model 3 deliveries starting.

the race to the battery of the future, its great we are ones leading this with researchers in monash uni and with testing to happen on electric cars with batteries built in germany in the next few months.  getting cells with lithium sulphur to be able to store six times as much energy would be a massive step forward...wiht proven prototypes already it very much looks like the next generation of batteries and would have a very significant impact on EVs particularly ...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/researchers-in-australia-take-key-step-toward-battery-of-the-future-20200109-p53q5s.html

"Researchers in Australia believe they have solved one of the key problems holding back the battery of the future, a breakthrough that would allow them to develop cells that could run a smartphone for four days.

Lithium-sulphur batteries can theoretically store six times as much energy as the lithium-ion batteries currently used in phones and electric vehicles, but that extra power can cause them to swell and break.

The international research team discovered a simple tweak to the manufacturing process, which they said fixes the problem.

Their patented design was published in Science Advances earlier this week. A stack of battery prototypes have been built in Germany and will be tested in electric cars in the next few months.

The team have already fielded calls from companies around the world, including electric vehicle manufacturers keen to harness the technology.

"This technology is the heir-apparent to current batteries," said Dr Mahdokht Shaibani, the Monash University engineer who led the team. "We have proven prototypes, and that makes us and the whole industry very excited.""

Will six times the energy storage translate into the distance we can currently drive on a tankful of petrol?  If it does then it could be a game changer .... if the cost is comparable to current petrol engine cars.  But if these new high energy storage batteries cost an arm or a leg then no ... it will be for those rich people.

Another factor is reliability. 

I am reminded of this as yesterday my Lithium battery pack for my drill - only used a half dozen times, completely failed.  The charger attempts to charge it, the gives an error saying the battery is faulty.  This is a battery tech that's supposedly done and dusted, yet they still fail.   

I worry that a new super battery needs to prove itself in the field.  Rechargeable batteries that fail have been pissing off consumers for decades.