betty boop

electric cars

2 hours ago, sloper said:

There needs to be a big shake up in infactstructure, how many years now have we been having Load shedding on hot days?

regards Bruce

Load shedding is normal. We need more if it. EVs actually help here.

48 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Load shedding is normal. We need more if it. EVs actually help here.

Normal in a first world country?

And how does more pressure on the grid help?

As l said we need a big shakeup.

regards Bruce

33 minutes ago, sloper said:

regards Bruce

https://reneweconomy.com.au/nem-watch/

sloper have a peep at live page above, can download the nem app too if want. can see what supply (where its coming from) vs demand. quick on the spot state of the nation :D how much surplus and renewable vs black vs brown coal and gas and such. 

1 hour ago, sloper said:

regards Bruce

Yup. In our country and every other.

We've had load shedding since the earliest days of the grid. Designing generation for all possible demand eventualities is a waste of resources.

EVs - and any other controllable load - can help the grid by smoothing out demand a good bit. Allows for more intermittent generation on the grid, better power quality, all that good stuff.

Unregulated demand growth - that's a problem.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:21 PM, Briz Vegas said:

VS Audi A4 and BMW 3 series the Model 3 wins hands down.  It’s drivetrain is just better, it’s cheaper to run but costs the same to buy.  The Germans are lovely cars I am sure, and in the past I have wished I could get one or the other.  As a kid I doodled early 3 series BMWs and when older I tried to work out how I could afford  one.  It’s almost 2020.  The A4 and 3 series  are relics once you have spent a bit of time driving the future.  ( if this isn’t the future then we are in big big trouble, or preferably  we will all ride electric bikes instead)

obviously not everyone agrees.. 😛  ... announced today....

"BMW 3 Series: 2019 carsales Car of the Year

Everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, strong resale value and competitive running costs makes the BMW 3 Series the 2019 carsales Car of the Year

The seventh-generation BMW 3 Series saw off two highly commended runners-up, trumped the technology in the Tesla Model 3, the value in the Kia Seltos, the class of the Volvo S60 and the practicality of a wide and varied line-up of SUVs that accounted for much of the 2019 field.

Indeed, despite a variety of predictions and expectations, it was the BMW 3 Series that ticked the boxes for everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, resale value and running costs. It could not be beaten in the class of 2019.
“It’s the strongest consensus we’ve had in the history of carsales COTY,” chief judge Marton Pettendy said as he tallied the final votes.
“The 3 Series is a level above the rest.”"

so there ...relic hey ?  some can keep doodling I say ... :D life still in the old relic of a 3 series for bmw clearly !  hehe

Peugeots e-208 is getting a very enthusiastic reception .... the 208 series itself is a great platform it seems so not suprised the electric version has much going for it, as a peugeot fan from way back ! so pleased to see peugeot making a come back with what are a great set of car models they are releasing :) 

also being released is the skoda octavia....poorer cousin to the VW golf in this case and some will argue with the previous gen as well I reckon the octavia looks better inside and out :D 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/806874/2020-skoda-octavia-revealed/

w7knnxz8lvzfjfsrpoz3.jpg

"The plug-in hybrid is based on a 1.4-litre petrol engine, and outputs a combined 150kW and 350Nm. Four chassis options are offered, from front-wheel drive to all-wheel drive with an active suspension setup."

"Given the Volkswagen Group has previously claimed to be unable to introduce PPF-equipped petrol models due to Australia's sulphur-rich petrol, it's a strong possibility the new 48V mild-hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants will not be offered Down Under, at least from launch."

however given launch not till 12 months away ... who knows...

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

Everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, strong resale value and competitive running costs makes the BMW 3 Series the 2019 carsales Car of the Year

The seventh-generation BMW 3 Series saw off two highly commended runners-up, trumped the technology in the Tesla Model 3, the value in the Kia Seltos, the class of the Volvo S60 and the practicality of a wide and varied line-up of SUVs that accounted for much of the 2019 field.

Indeed, despite a variety of predictions and expectations, it was the BMW 3 Series that ticked the boxes for everything from quality and comfort to driving enjoyment, resale value and running costs. It could not be beaten in the class of 2019.
“It’s the strongest consensus we’ve had in the history of carsales COTY,” chief judge Marton Pettendy said as he tallied the final votes.

so there ...relice hey ?  some can keep doodling I say ... :D life in the old relic of a 3 series for bmw clearly !  hehe

Carsales.  You mean the Shell V power car of the year award? 2019 fossil of the year! Tesla winning that award was about as likely as Scott Morrison opening a wind farm and praising the technology.  Basically a fundamental conflict of interest before you even start.

Edited by Briz Vegas

11 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

Carsales.  You mean the Shell V power car of the year award.  2019 fossil of the year? Tesla winning that award was about as likely as Scott Morrison opening a wind farm and praising the technology.  Basically a fundamental conflict of interest before you even start.

🙄 perhaps a lack of understanding I guess that it is not shell that comes up with the awards but the carsales team. perhaps lack of understanding of the process ... who knows... sour grapes some ? ... never mind .... *shrug*

Whatever. It’s Carsales (a rag) and it’s not an EV.  

Porsche Taycan in 2020, fair enough, well done Stuttgart. Mazda MX5 in 2018, yup I will give them that.  Bit of nostalgia, old school driving purity.  I can appreciate that.

BMW 3 series sedan in 2019.  Premium Priced sport sedan for between $70k and $100k.  Direct price and form factor competitor. You having got to be having a lend mate.

Edited by Briz Vegas

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

so there ...relic hey ?  some can keep doodling I say ... :D life still in the old relic of a 3 series for bmw clearly !  hehe

Of course a Tesla will never win a CarSales award, or a Drive award, or any of the other Australian based awards, they only go to advertisers and Tesla doesn't advertise with them. I remember when the S was released here, it was beaten to 'Drive car of the year' by a Ford truck

26 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Of course a Tesla will never win a CarSales award, or a Drive award, or any of the other Australian based awards, they only go to advertisers and Tesla doesn't advertise with them. I remember when the S was released here, it was beaten to 'Drive car of the year' by a Ford truck

Oh really now ???

Yeesh...

there’s a Tesla in the running for drive’s and CarAdvice car of year

https://www.caradvice.com.au/801489/meet-the-drive-car-of-the-year-2020-contenders-powered-by-bp/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/drive-car-of-the-year-2020-the-contenders-powered-by-bp-122657

—— watch this space ——

be very surprised if Tesla doesn’t win a gong in electric category given the pitiful competition up against 

but hey it’s sponsored by BP so not worth a pinch of poop in the one eye of the .... :D

i’ll be sure to report back here what does win the electric car of the year or who knows even the car of the year from drive and car advice then folks here can disown it and aim stones at whatever badge or sponsor adorning it with awards :D

hmmm...

Honda CEO says 'EVs will not be mainstream'

"Takahiro Hachigo is also cautious about rolling out self-driving vehicle technology.

With the Volkswagen Group beginning production of its mainstream ID.3 electric hatch as its first salvo in an EV onslaught, and Toyota looking to introduce at least 10 EVs by the early 2020s, Honda continues to see hybrid powertrains as its main weapon in curbing carbon emissions.

Electric cars

In an interview with Automotive News, Takahiro Hachigo, Honda CEO and president, said, "I don't believe [EVs] will become mainstream anytime soon".

Globally, Hachigo doesn't think there will be a "dramatic increase" for full electric vehicles as "there are issues with infrastructure and hardware".

The company will continue to invest in EVs, though, as regulations in some regions, most notably Europe and China, have favoured their development.

Honda's CEO stated his company's goal is cut carbon emissions, rather than having EVs for the sake of having EVs.

The recently unveiled Honda E is for Europe and Japan only, although the Australian arm has expressed interest in the vehicle.

Locally, Honda will return to the mainstream hybrid market this December when it launches the new Accord sedan, which will be available with a 1.5-litre turbo and 2.0-litre hybrid.

Overseas, the company is pushing harder with its electrification plans. In Europe, it has committed to having its entire range electrified by 2022, with the new Jazz only available there as a hybrid.

For the US, there are hybrid versions of the Accord and CR-V, as well as the Civic-based Insight sedan. Meanwhile the visually challenging Clarity is offered with plug-in hybrid, electric and hydrogen fuel cell drivetrains.

Self-driving vehicles

Hachigo also sounded words of caution of autonomous vehicles. He claimed Honda has developed automatic lane change and self-steering technologies, but isn't sure when or how to introduce them to the market.

"You have to think about what the social demand is and what legal environment we have to operate in," Hachigo said. "Now is the time for us to ponder how we can introduce these services to the market."

While in the few last years there has been a lot said and written about the coming era of autonomous cars, lately companies have begun to pull back from their aggressive targets.

One of these is Cruise, a self-driving vehicle startup bought out by GM, and which Honda has committed US$2 billion ($2.9 billion) in funding to.

In July, Cruise decided to delay its roll out of self-driving taxis in San Francisco, which was originally scheduled to begin at the end of 2019."

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

hmmm...

Honda CEO says 'EVs will not be mainstream'.

The recently unveiled Honda E is for Europe and Japan only, although the Australian arm has expressed interest in the vehicle.

Locally, Honda will return to the mainstream hybrid market this December when it launches the new Accord sedan, which will be available with a 1.5-litre turbo and 2.0-litre hybrid.

Did they narrow down a time in December for these releases?

23 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Did they narrow down a time in December for these releases?

Accord new one is on Aussie website I think :)

23 hours ago, betty boop said:

Oh really now ???

Yeesh...

there’s a Tesla in the running for drive’s and CarAdvice car of year

https://www.caradvice.com.au/801489/meet-the-drive-car-of-the-year-2020-contenders-powered-by-bp/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/drive-car-of-the-year-2020-the-contenders-powered-by-bp-122657

—— watch this space ——

be very surprised if Tesla doesn’t win a gong in electric category given the pitiful competition up against 

but hey it’s sponsored by BP so not worth a pinch of poop in the one eye of the .... :D

i’ll be sure to report back here what does win the electric car of the year or who knows even the car of the year from drive and car advice then folks here can disown it and aim stones at whatever badge or sponsor adorning it with awards :D

EVs will never win a car award in Australia, if it's made by a company that doesn't advertise with them, meanwhile, in Germany...

"Some of the best cars in the world are obviously made in Germany," Musk said while accepting a trophy for the Model 3, which beat out BMW and Audi sedans for midsize car of the year. He said the country is "not that far behind" in electric cars, while also acknowledging that the market for them is "unproven."

3 hours ago, proftournesol said:

EVs will never win a car award in Australia, if it's made by a company that doesn't advertise with them, meanwhile, in Germany...

Sorry I dont share your conspiracy theories and disdain for australian car awards. the fact that car advice & drive  has made sure there is an electric category in itself in its annual awards means by default you are about to be proved wrong, in that an electric car will indeed win an award in australia and soon. and will also be in the running for car of the year. will be sure to post back here when results come to fore :) 

25 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Sorry I dont share your conspiracy theories and disdain for australian car awards. the fact that car advice & drive  has made sure there is an electric category in itself in its annual awards means by default you are about to be proved wrong, in that an electric car will indeed win an award in australia and soon. and will also be in the running for car of the year. will be sure to post back here when results come to fore :) 

3 hours ago, proftournesol said:

I have foot in both camps here. Traditionally all industry awards (not just cars) have a level of self gratification going on... even my car which has won overall and best in category awards in the last 2 years.

I feel the Tesla's will win an award though, purely as it would be looked at very suspiciously if a Model 3 didn't win it's category.

12 minutes ago, blybo said:

I have foot in both camps here. Traditionally all industry awards (not just cars) have a level of self gratification going on... even my car which has won overall and best in category awards in the last 2 years.

I feel the Tesla's will win an award though, purely as it would be looked at very suspiciously if a Model 3 didn't win it's category.

may the best car win i say... we dont HAVE to like what wins or even agree to reasons why anything won or didnt...

be suprised to if tesla doesnt. however personally the tesla leaves me cold just sitting inside... dont like its spartan approach or that impressed with fit finish or build quality of the car given money goes for. but have worked and still interact with folks in the industry and including tesla so aware of these things which might miss some other folks :) suspect reviewers who live and breath cars wont miss up on stuff like this though :) that said its a whole package and while every car has pro and cons its how stands up over all id suggest. anyways lets see what comes though .... given the other feeble options in its category the other contenders dont have a chance id say :D 

Conspiracy theories are not needed to explain and understand bias. One major influencer is fairly simple and is basic psychology.

We are all familiar with bad stuff getting connected to circumstances and places. It's a rare person who isn't more cautious on a piece of road or intersection where they've been involved in an accident.

Similarly, good stuff gets connected to circumstances. Good advertising income or expense paid trips to test-drive cars provide a good feeling and that gets connected to the car brands--influencing the outcomes.

This is why drug companies are no longer allowed to give freebies to doctors--the freebies did influence the doctors' opinions and behaviours; despite many doctors saying otherwise.

Be careful out there.

I know this much. hardly gullible to be running off on buying a car just because it wins some award :D spent pretty much 12 months checking out options myself before buying car i did 12 months prior :) like anything whether cars or audio. reviews and awards are one thing... but only see it as some person/s insight thoughts ... doesnt have to and doesnt always necessarily meet with mine :) I dont however go off to build conspiracy theories though just because doesnt align with my thinking :D  

The science is in, or at least one interesting little experiment is in.  
1. How much more efficient is an EV vs Australia’s favourite vehicle type?

2. Is a Dual-cab Ute powered EV more efficient than the dual cab.

Keep in mind that the task at hand is moving 3 people around a set track. You could obviously play with other permutations, but this is the scenario being tested here and I think it’s legitimate given the number of Rangers you see on a typical commute ( mostly with only one person in it).

I have now owned the smaller Tesla EV for about 6 weeks and this is the second time that I have woken up to a car with improved driving features at no extra cost.

Last time the dashboard display information ( radar and camera graphics) was upgraded based on improved driving algorithms which also provided cruise control/ self steering improvements. I got extra entertainment features as well, but I don’t seem to need to charge away from home much anyway and even if I did it happens so fast that I don’t have spare time to play with the new entertainment anyway ( Netflix, YouTube, karaoke). If you thought the Tesla UI was a gimmick maybe now you understand that it has a purpose.

Today my car will be marginally faster ( just under 3 seconds to 60mph now thanks to improved drivetrain management software) and ( more usefully) motor regeneration is improved with the addition of “full one pedal driving” and associated improvements in efficiency ( see post above regarding efficiency).  Basically I can now pull up at traffic lights without touching the bake pedal ( or is that now just the emergency brake).  I can now select from low regen, standard regen and full one pedal driving options.

Even the slower base model gets the same level of improvement from this update, so you could argue they get better bang for buck.

I am not going to speculate on potential downsides that may or may not happen.  For now I can only say that EVs are f’ n brilliant and I am getting  why Tesla owners are so annoying, just like early iPhone owners.  Just be happy I can’t take my car to the water cooler at your office.

BM who?

Edited by Briz Vegas

and the winner is for electric car of the year ... Tesla 3 :) 

https://www.drive.com.au/review/drive-electric-vehicle-of-the-year-powered-by-bp-122795.html

So what was that ?  Tesla will never get a gong in this country ? and hey its even from BP .. how is that possible ? boo hiss ! denounce ! throw eggs and stones :D 

never mind hehe the comments post the article are funny enough :D good some folks have a sense of humour :) 

"No mention of the Nissan EV, guess it's best if you just leaf it alone."

"Electric cars are coming, and coming fast.

While we’re still not at the point where a full-electric offering is available in each of our segments, we have included the top three electric cars on the market today as individual models. Each shines for its own reasons."

1: Tesla Model 3

DD8EytSJQI2Cb0wMPAlJ

With a program led by an Australian engineer, the Tesla Model 3’s loose connection to Australia increases the appeal of a car that continuously hits highs both on the EV front and on the car front.

LzD3ohAZTQmFjBIOPvTv

It’s no longer a car that’s simply compared to other EVs; it’s a premium product that delivers smiles day in and day out.

q6L2LpQRue0bzKdo4eAF

Starting from $67,900, the Model 3 offers up to 620km of driving range, and if you opt for the top-specification Performance model, can dispatch a 0–100km/h dash in just 3.4 seconds.

jufW7WeVT1qjDeU5qCt1

The interior is minimalist, but features the best infotainment system in the business, which comes in the form of a 15.0-inch display central to the cabin.

With outstanding remote functionality, music streaming, high-definition maps and a range of semi-autonomous driving modes, the Model 3 hits it for six with technology fans.

On the road it’s fun to drive, although the Performance model can be noisy at times due to its low-profile tyres. Find a set of corners and the all-wheel-drive models deliver engaging performance and a dynamic drive devoid of noise.

That’s why the Tesla Model 3 takes out our EV of the Year."