Sign in to follow this  
ChrisC

NAD T785. Problems. Anyone got similar?

Hi guys,

I bought a NAD T785 AV Receiver a couple of months ago and had ongoing audio problems for a long time. I thought it was all sorted out. Until tonight, the same problem has just now returned.

I'm interested to know if anyone else is experiencing similar with a NAD T785.

This is the second NAD unit I've tried and they're both experiencing the same problem.

The problem is that when I'm watching a DVD, for no apparent reason and right 'out of the blue', the audio drops out completely. The video keeps playing, but no audio at all.

Sometimes it occurs after 30 mins., sometimes after 90 mins., there's no pattern.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to the NAD, through the following:

After the 'sound drop out' problem has occurred -

If I change Inputs on the NAD and back again to the original DVD Player i Input, the sound is restored.

If I don't make any changes to the NAD, but make changes to the DVD Player (Stop and Replay the disc, Eject and reinsert and Play the disc, even Power Off then Power On the DVD Player and replay the disc) the sound is not restored.

This seems to clearly indicate the audio problem is not in the DVD Player (a Marantz DV7001) and is associated with NAD T785.

Has anyone else had any similar problems with a NAD T785?

Thanks very much for your help with this guys. After 2 months or so with this, I've had enough!

Chris C.

Do you use the NAD for CD play with a dedicated CD player as well and does it cut out with CD's?

Do you use the NAD for CD play with a dedicated CD player as well and does it cut out with CD's?

Hi,

Yes I do have a dedicated CD Player, also a NAD (C542) but I do not have the same problem when playing CD's. This only occurs when playing some, but not all, DVD's.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, sounds like the T785 to me. You are not pulling any cables nor doing anything to the dvd player when you switch "to restore the sound". Talk to NAD.

Gday Chris,

Check out this thread on AVSForum. It seems to be a common problem and possibly associated with the use of HDMI cables or a dodgy HDMI board? (I didnt read too much before posting this).

Sounds like you may have to contact NAD for sure. Maybe there is a firmware update for the AVR too?

Cheers,

Jake

Hi there, in case you havn't fixed the problem yet....How do you have the DVD player connected to the AVR? Ie HDMI, coaxial, optical?

Hi there, in case you havn't fixed the problem yet....How do you have the DVD player connected to the AVR? Ie HDMI, coaxial, optical?

Thanks guys. Yes, I should have included in my original post how I've got this connected.

I'm using HDMI for Video. But on the advice of Len Wallis and others, I've steered away from HDMI for Audio. There seems to be a lot of evidence of HDMI Audio problems floating around with this and other brands.

So with that advice in mind, I'm using Digital Coaxial for Audio. It definitely sounds a bit better also.

Thanks for your help with this guys.

Hi Dr X,

The problems haven't been fixed with my NAD, but Len Wallis in his usual excellent service style, is taking it back (the second of these he's taken back) and is exchanging it for an AVR of my choice(it won't be NAD.)

Just so that you know how it's connected:

Video via HDMI

Audio via Digital coaxial.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Dr X,

The problems haven't been fixed with my NAD, but Len Wallis in his usual excellent service style, is taking it back (the second of these he's taken back) and is exchanging it for an AVR of my choice(it won't be NAD.)

Just so that you know how it's connected:

Video via HDMI

Audio via Digital coaxial.

Cheers,

Chris

Tell him you would prefer to change it for a Krell,that should turn him white.

Hi guys, thanks for all your help and interest in my ongoing NAD T785 AV Receiver problems.

I thought you might be interested to find out the outcome of this long, sorry saga.

I got nowhere trying to sort out the problems with my second NAD. So I decided to take some advice and make a fundamental change.

That is to run an AV Receiver to power my Home Theatre setup and team it with a separate Integrated Amp for my Hi-Fi Stereo.

For Home Theatre, I've gone back to Yamaha, largely because of their solid, robust reputation. And I must say their new model RX-V3800 is far better than I ever expected. They're come a long way since my last Yamaha, 5 years ago. I'm really impressed with this.

But I'm more impressed with the new Integrated Amp I've added. It's a Plinius 9200 and it's fantastic!! WoW, what a sound. I can't speak too highly of this. And it seems to be 'just pure magic' with my Orpheus Aurora Signatures! It's the best Integrated Amp I've ever owned.

So with those significant changes and getting rid of the NAD completely, I'm now a very happy boy indeed.

I wanted to share this outcome with you and thanks again for all your help and interest. This is a great forum.

Cheers,

Chris C.

Great news Chris! Any pics coming of your new setup?

Cheers,

Jake

Great news Chris! Any pics coming of your new setup?

Cheers,

Jake

Sure Jake, just give me a bit of time to get a few other things sorted out, then I'll take some pics and share them.

Thanks for the thought/question

Cheers,

Chris

Sure Jake, just give me a bit of time to get a few other things sorted out, then I'll take some pics and share them.

Thanks for the thought/question

Cheers,

Chris

Cool, look forward to it Chris. :rolleyes:

Hi powerav,

These post are quite old, but appears the NAD still haven't got it right as the masters M12 has similar HDMI problems.

Had audio junction come and visit to check the issue out. AJ will contact NAD and worst case suggested may take back to store to try on other TV and bluray player other than sony.

Basically every time I turn the Blu-Ray player on to watch a DVD or Netflix I have no sound. I have to turn the NAD off and on again, sometimes more. I believe it is the HDMI card, so did Nathan, but it was mentioned that Sony have HDMI issues. I have no issue between the player and the TV, only gaining through the NAD HDMi card.

As you know I did have some teething g problems setting up since the last time you called in.

As the USB inputs don't read the whole of the flash drive or external 2TB drive, have put these in the modem as a NAS drive, waiting for the fritzbox to index songs and see if the music library works via BluOS app.

PS NAS drive was Nathans idea. 

Otherwise may have to dig out the old Qnap.

On 29/03/2019 at 8:58 PM, Whiterex1 said:

Hi powerav,

These post are quite old, but appears the NAD still haven't got it right as the masters M12 has similar HDMI problems.

Had audio junction come and visit to check the issue out. AJ will contact NAD and worst case suggested may take back to store to try on other TV and bluray player other than sony.

Basically every time I turn the Blu-Ray player on to watch a DVD or Netflix I have no sound. I have to turn the NAD off and on again, sometimes more. I believe it is the HDMI card, so did Nathan, but it was mentioned that Sony have HDMI issues. I have no issue between the player and the TV, only gaining through the NAD HDMi card.

As you know I did have some teething g problems setting up since the last time you called in.

As the USB inputs don't read the whole of the flash drive or external 2TB drive, have put these in the modem as a NAS drive, waiting for the fritzbox to index songs and see if the music library works via BluOS app.

It’s a shame as nad make nice, innovative stuff but we keep hearing of issues and many retailers have stopped stocking them and then bag them out!

Hi scobb,

The NAD is agreed a nice bit of gear. Brilliant SQ in my system.

Nathan at AJ has given me a new HDMI card to try. So I will see if that fixes the issue or not.

If not, I may just use the HDMI arc for audio feedback for tv and movies.

Edited by Whiterex1