Sign in to follow this  
warrengday

A High-End Linn System

After reading some of the great threads in this sub-forum, I thought I'd capture where my Linn system is at in some recent pictures.

LinnSystem_zps995e69c3.jpg

Linn242_zps7df7ade5.jpg

sKaleTigerPaw_zps61cbc97e.jpg

LinnAkiva_zps2749bddf.jpg

LinnTwin_zps6bf454db.jpg

And the obligatory list of components, cables etc.

Overview:  High end stereo vinyl and networked streamer.

Right equipment rack:

Linto moving-coil phonostage

Klimax Kontrol preamp

Klimax DS network streamer - 24 bit / 384 kHz

Klimax Chakra Twin - 2x200W class AB power amp

Left rack:

LP12 turntable - Cirkus, Keel, Trampolin 2, Ekos 2, sKale by Tiger Paw, Akiva, on Hutter Platform One

Lingo 2 power supply

And the rest:

Akurate 242 speakers

Linn silver interconnects

Linn K200 speaker cable

Hutter Rack-Time racks, triple-layer beech Bösendorfer varnished

Edited by warrengday

Really nice looking rig Warren. How has the Linto phonostage performed?

Thank you very much.

The Linto.  Since 2007 the Linto has been a delight.  I upgraded from a Naim 62 which a friend had greatly improved including building 2 external power supplies (people that have heard the difference say it outperforms a Naim 52).  How to describe the Linto.  Effortless is a good word.  The sound is very clean. The instruments and soundstage aren't bloated.

Edited by warrengday

Upgrades

Actually the above pictures were taken a month ago, but I never got round to finishing the wording at the time to post them.

Since then I've made two upgrades: from power amp to monoblocks, and the new cartridge.

LinnSolos_zps7848cee3.jpg

LinnKandid_zps4ac1ccc9.jpg

Please let me know if you'd like the explicit details of these upgrades, the what, the why and the how good.

Edited by warrengday

Lovely system

How much of an improvement is the Kandid?    OI would guess quite a bit and more music imbedded just waiting for you to upgrade the phono stage :)

Lovely system

Thank you.

How much of an improvement is the Kandid?

Err, I don't know.  Lots.

I spent the first day listening to digital recordings, thus the only difference being the Twin to Solos upgrade.

The next day I started playing the Kandid.

I have some sense of what the Kandid is like.  However I'm reserving comment for two reasons.

Firstly, the trouble is the Solos are the biggest upgrade I've done, just real and accurate from both a sonic and timing point of view.

Also the Kandid isn't run in yet.  I'm guessing it will take about 100 hours as the Akiva took to completely sing.

Once the Kandid is run in, I'll swap back and forth and thus be able to have a better understanding of the nature of the Akiva to Kandid upgrade.

OI would guess quite a bit and more music imbedded just waiting for you to upgrade the phono stage  :)

Yes, that "Eureka" moment will happen next year.

Bah, total tosh the lot of it. Pfft.

A good vintage HMV record player unit with built in speakers and AWA wiring would blow this uber....

Gott im Himmel !

What am I saying! 

It's the bubbly Warren, you know I've got a problem with it and it's after 5 which is bubbly hour which was preceded by beer o'clock.

Just as well you know me and that I'm only being kandid and of course I've got a linto so I'm just jealous...

:love

Lovely System WDay--I have a friend up here in Nth Qld with almost identical system --all as yours except he has as addition--the Radikal and Activ 350A's--and I'd hazard a guess at over 3000 Lps!

All are on Naim Frames-I sort of always thought the LP12 was not performing as it should--I sold him my Mana LP12 stand and Voila!--the venerable Sondek came alive-ha!--it now sits beside the Fraims :thumb:

Enjoy

Willco

Lovely rig. I can heartily recommend trying out a Urika at some stage, but that would also require a Radikal. I went from prefix to Uphorik (which I preferred to the Linto) and then on to the Urika. I am running a DVXX2 II at present, but am looking at the Kandid as a potential replacement, so I'll be very interested in your comments about your new cartridge.

Would love to hear the system Warren especially the 242's as I have never heard them. :thumb:

Upgrades

Actually the above pictures were taken a month ago, but I never got round to finishing the wording at the time to post them.

Since then I've made two upgrades: from power amp to monoblocks, and the new cartridge.

LinnSolos_zps7848cee3.jpg

LinnKandid_zps4ac1ccc9.jpg

Please let me know if you'd like the explicit details of these upgrades, the what, the why and the how good.

Hows the Kandid Warren???

How come you went for a Silver sKale?? ;)

Love the dedication to the brand. You don't see much of this kind of thing much nowdays. I'd love to hear it. You'd have to assume great synergy at the very least!

Thanks for sharing mate.

M

And great champagne...

Hows the Kandid Warren???

How come you went for a Silver sKale?? ;)

Kandid is amazing.  I'm just loving how engaging and dynamic records are more and more.

The silver sKale was bought as I planned to upgrade to the silver Ekos SE one day.