Sign in to follow this  
legselevens

Audio Alchemy DDS Pro help please.

Hi all, I have an Audio Alchemy DDS Pro transport which has stopped reading disks. I'd like to keep it if possible because it has i2S output which works with my AA dac etc. I'll trawl the net for info but thought I'd quiz the estimable brains trust of SNA as well.

When a disk is inserted the display lights up but there is no noise of a spinning disk or recognition of the cd. Gary Cawsey had a very brief look at it and guessed it might need a new laser or whole transport replaced but said to do proper analysis it takes time and might be too costly. I also goofed up and managed to dislodge the laser unit.

So is there anyone who can offer their advise on how to get this old spinner working or recommendations of repairers or competent diy'ers?

Cheers,

L11     

pic taken from google but same unit with separate PS270840-audio_alchemy_dds_pro_with_free_c

Guest rondine

If it's the Pioneer upside down mechanism check if the laser lens has fallen off.

ron

Hi ron. Yep, it's the stable platter one. Lens has fallen out but I was having problems before that. I'll take it apart and see if I can clean and re seat it. Maybe it was partially out beforehand and was causing the problem. Would be nice if it's that simple.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lenticularis
      COVID-19 took a real toll on postage time but I eventually received all of the components from various sources and started my build of a Stereo Coffee within the last week or so.

Chris Daly (@stereo coffee) is an amazingly responsive and knowledgeable designer and I could always rely on him replying to my emails with extreme rapidity and clarity; he's a pleasure to deal with.

I believe that I could have ordered a built up unit from Chris for the ongoing cost of everything I have amassed, however I enjoyed this voyage of discovery, having never before built any electronics, except for a pair of monitor style speakers from a kit some 20 years ago.

I took things very slowly, measuring up clearances between the boards and the Jaycar toroidal transformer that I wanted to use in place of the Jaycar SMPS. Despite that I realised I would have to drill a replacement hole for the transformer as it needed more clearance from the back of the IEC socket than the one I did initially.

Build Summary:
      Stereo Coffee LDR pre-amp boards, May-June 2020 build spec. ($264 incl. GST from Chris Daly's eBay store)
      Brushed aluminium pre-amp case from eBay (China, $120 delivered). Pre-drilled with 8 RCA holes, knobs, and IEC socket supplied (upgraded to Furutech).
      Furutech fused IEC socket, with a 500mA slow-burn fuse bought from another SNAer.
      1 pair Audio Note silver-plated RCAs for the Stereo Coffee outputs
      1 pair Connex solderless rhodium-plated eutectic copper RCAs as  I/P 1
      Aliexpress gold-plated copper RCAs for I/Ps 2 and 3.  Pic 2 shows the RCAs wired (messily) and the LDR board.
      20 VA Jaycar toroidal transformer (MT2084)
      Wire from PartsConnexion (Canada: partsconnexion.com) bargain basement -
      1. Duelund 26 awg tinned copper with oiled-cotton insulation. Used for signal wiring from RCAs to board.
      2. Duelund 20 awg solid-copper with oiled-cotton. Used from switch to main board I/P 1 , switch pole, and start-circuit between main and LDR boards.
      3. Connex 24 awg tinned copper, from switch I/P 2 and 3 to main board.
      My biggest build challenge was trying to solder the ground leads to the Aliexpress gold-plated (copper signal pin) RCAs because I was using such fine wire.
      I splashed out on a second-hand Groot soldering station that made life much nicer than if I had used a cheap Jaycar iron or similar.

28 June:
      I finally finished my Stereo Coffee (SC) build today, after some other interruptions, and a very steep learning curve when it comes to to soldering 26 awg wire in confined quarters.

I connected it first to my simple head-fi setup: desktop Mac playing Tidal, to Schiit Modi 3, then SC, then Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp and Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX. Having proven that nothing untoward happened, I then proceeded to connect it to my main system.   I need to mark some volume references and I have further work to do, to deepen the switch knob/shorten the shaft, and better secure the volume knob (hole-deepening may have obscured the securing stud inner thread area).  
      Performance:
      I'm still inside five hours of listening time, however with it hooked up to my main system (pic 1), the first few bars revealed a richer bass than I am used to. I have a great pre- in the Bryston BP25, however the Stereo Coffee is even more revealing than the high level I was already used to.  A favourite well-recorded album is Holly Cole's 'Temptation' and one that I know well. The SC makes that album even more involving and relaxing than ever. 

Separation between instruments, spatially and tonally is heightened, drums and cymbals have more resolution and the sound-stage is deeper. I haven't noticed any widening of the sound-stage in what I've listened to so far although I'm sure the relatively constrained positioning of my speakers is a factor, although I don't lack  great imaging from them.

The overall performance I'm hearing mixes clarity, and resolution with a relaxing, analogue (in the best sense) reproduction. I'm listening exclusively to 44.1 kHz/ 16 bit FLACs, either from CD rips or from Tidal. I sold off my CDP (Naim CDS) because my Auralic Aries streamer enables me to play CDs from a computer USB drive, and rip on-the-fly if so desired. Combining that with my Gieseler Klein III DAC with Enhanced Gold Tune Kraftwerk LPSU gives me sound quality that now negates my need for a traditional CDP.

Some test music:

1. Holly Cole, 'Temptation', 'Frank's Theme' opening piano notes are amazing

2. Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays, 'As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls'. This title track is a great test of the atmosphere that purports to be in a large stadium (though a friend told me it was studio recorded!). I use this track to compare pre-amps ...the SC is winning!

3. Sara K, 'Hell or High Water' , Fabulously recorded... sounding wonderful (it usually does!)

4. Ben Harper, 'Welcome to the Cruel World'. Just more resolution and presence and I was already very happy with my previous setup.

5. Jordi Savall, 'The Celtic Viol II', Comments as per #4!

System comprises:

Stereo Coffee LDR pre-amp boards, May-June 2020 build spec.
      Shunyata Research Hydra power conditioner and power cables.
      NAS-files, or Tidal, serving up 44.1 / 16 FLACs over wi-fi to
      Auralic Aries streamer (Femto clock and LPSU model).
      iFi iUSB Nano 3.0 and Curious USB cable between streamer and DAC.
      Gieseler Klein III DAC  (USB) with Enhanced Gold Tune Kraftwerk LPSU.
      Bryston Cable+ ICs from DAC to Stereo Coffee.
      Rega P3, with Exact cart and iFi iPhono2 phono stage. Ikea bamboo chopping board! 
      Bill's Covid-busting cable #2, from iPhono2 to Stereo Coffee
      Morrow Audio MA-1 baseline unbalanced ICs from SC to Gamut D200 Mk 3 dual mono poweramp*.
      Morrow Audio SP-4 speaker cables. Sonus Faber Concerto Home speakers.

* My Bryston BP25 pre- uses Shunyata (Aries) balanced ICs to the Gamut, so the relatively cheap Morrow MA-1 unbalanced ICs aren't in the same league, yet the SC is delivering higher performance. Later I added short silver RCA-XLR ICs to those Morrow MA-1 ICs using female-female couplings, so that my Gamut now uses its XLR inputs. I can notice a difference, as did the family, when I unpaused Tidal and the extra volume hit with a blast (different I/P sensitivity on the amp).
      I have now ordered an RCA-XLR hybrid cable from @Bill125812 as I want to continue to feed the Gamut through its XLR sockets.

I am very, very happy with my Stereo Coffee performance and also pleased that the challenges I found building it have added to my enjoyment of the product.

I'm now thinking what else can I build  ... perhaps another Stereo Coffee and something like a Goldclone amp?

• By daro
      Item Condition: Brand new, never used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Lindfield State: New South Wales Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal Reason for selling: Abandoned DIY project Further information: 
      I have for sale an Elma Rotary 4 pole 24 way switch (model 04-4133). Perfect for a High-End 2-channel ladder stepped attenuator. It comes with the stop pin.
      I bought it a couple of years ago from the hificollective in the UK to build a stepped attenuator for my DIY project. I could not find time to finish the project, so the sale.

"High quality selector switch, non-magnetic bodied switch with 3 micron gold plated contacts over copper alloy. Ceramic wafer. Swiss made. Mounting hole 10.2mm, 6mm diameter shaft, 15mm shaft length body dimensions 76mm L x (32mm dia. x 25mm dia.). Make-before-break type. Superb for ladder stepped attenuators, balanced stereo stepped attenuators and stereo balanced TVC selector. Elma part number 04-4133."

Happy to post it. I'll cover the cost. Pickup also available from Lindfield (2070).

Photos: 

• By Stevan.B
      Item Condition: Brand new in packaging Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Kellyville State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash Reason for selling: Surplus to requirements Further information: 

Single pack of Absorb XHD50 in black (6x 2400x1200 sheets). 

only needed two but MOQ is 3 packs. Perfect for DIY acoustic panels or bass traps.
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By mattcalf
      Price: $500 Item Condition: DIY/Used, as is, will demonstrate functionality prior to purchase. Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash on pickup Reason for selling: Like many of you I have a passion for building things but by the time I finish the end product doesn't fit in with my living circumstances - surprisingly a 15" subwoofer with 3000w of power isn't appropriate for living in an inner city apartment. Further information: 
      Gday,
      For sale is my custom built 15" Transflex subwoofer (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/259509-sub-design-constricted-transflex-simple-build-series-tuned-6th-202.html#post5117336 - my build information starting at linked post and continuing over next few page). Driver is a Lab Eminence 15" 4ohm woofer, box is built from premium 12mm Russian birch ply and is tuned to 33Hz. This thing is huge and heavy, as such I am hoping to sell locally - outrageously deep, fast and sounds great at low volumes. Will just about pop a lung when cranked. Included is an appropriate amplifier for the sub - Behringer inuke NU3000. Selling as we have a newborn baby next door. Please PM with any questions. Attached are design plans and predicted frequency response. I am the builder and the only owner, more pictures of build process and driver specs PDF available on request.

Item: Lab 15" 4 ohm special run transflex subwoofer + inuke nu3000 (both included in price)

I'd prefer to sell all together at this stage, but if it's not moving I might consider selling stuff separately.
      Would be interested in a trade for Reloop RP7000mk2 or Technics 1200 (plus cash on my end).
      Should I sell anything, I will make a donation to SNA. I have extensive head-fi and ebay feedback if you'd like to see.

• By krakatana
      Item: RJM Audio VSPS Moving Magnet DIY Phono Stage
      Price: Withdrawn from sale
      Item Condition: Working perfectly, some scratches on cases
      Reason for selling: Now using MC
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Excellent sounding phono, used for six months, built about two years ago. The cases are thin Aluminium, but have brass or Titanium plates at connector points.

Materials used: RJM VSPS and Dual-Bridge Rectifier kits, Dueland wiring for signal paths, Arizona Blue Cactus 2.2uF 200VDC output capacitors (with bypass caps), Altronics transformer, Furutech Rhodium FI-03 IEC inlet with fuse, 2 x Aluminium cases, Stillpoint ERS tape around power cable (light blue) in phono case, Gold coated pure Copper RCA plugs, 2 cm slate pieces under circuit boards and transformer, brass (front) and Titanium plates (rear). Well over $200 of materials used.

http://phonoclone.com/diy-pho5.html
      http://phonoclone.com/pcb.html
      http://phonoclone.com/diy-guide.html

ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
      This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.