Jake

Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

Years And Years. The first 2 episodes of this must watch series. Where we're probably headed and it's scary.

A  couple of nights ago, the bluray of 'Solo: A Star Wars Story"......What a blast! I liked it more than the last Star Wars movie, which I thought was disjointed and nonsensical. Solo was a rollicking ride that made sense, answered questions about Hans past nicely (loved his first meeting with Chewie!😄) and references to future Star Wars connections were subtle but effective. It was very enjoyable indeed. Only complaint was the soundtrack, nicely thumpy at the front but lacking some rear action and ambience......otherwise, 4 thumbs up out of five.👍👍👍👍

Tonight, maybe yearning for some total immersion from a soundtrack, I pulled out the Tron: Legacy bluray, visually stunning and IMO up there with the best surround and LFE activity from any soundtrack ever.....and again it didn't disappoint. It's an absolute cracker! 👌

Edited by stevoz

Tron Legacy is a ripper. I've got the soundtrack on black plastic as well, it's just awesome! I wonder why they never got to make Tron Revolutions (or any other suitable name).

Me, I've been enjoying the TV show "Community" this last couple of weeks. Slow start on episodes I, II and III, and then it blasts off into an immersion of fun an TV trivia, with Donald Glover and Chevy Chase to boot. Some stuff they did is just hilarious, like the Scorsese-Themed Goodfellas episode about chicken wings or the paint ball Hunger Games/Die Hard/Terminator one. Plus, the Russo Brothers and Justin Lin direct some of the episodes. High quality, recommended.

Cheers,

Alberto

I do like Terry Gilliam movies.  I see he has a new one out, but my local video shop didn't get it in.  Nice and baked/stoned for this viewing...

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

239926907_TheAdventuresofBaronMunchausen.jpg.f3b4b73630ae9e0f0bff8b0136a37e31.jpg

Hi All,

16 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

I do like Terry Gilliam movies.  I see he has a new one out, but my local video shop didn't get it in.  Nice and baked/stoned for this viewing...

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

239926907_TheAdventuresofBaronMunchausen.jpg.f3b4b73630ae9e0f0bff8b0136a37e31.jpg

I do like a Terry Gilliam movie, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote should be out, if that is the movie you are thinking of, started in 1982 and finally released last year with a lot of changes.

JJ

1 hour ago, Neurone said:

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote should be out

Hey JJ.  Indeed the movie I was referring to.  My video shop had it on the poster for new releases, but when asked they said they only receive what the distributor sends them (small country town), not a big market for 'different, unusual, art, or indie' movies out here.

Will have to buy on DVD soon. 

It does get mixed reviews, but both extremes, absolutely loved or despised.  That alone makes it worthwhile viewing for me.

Cheers Mate.

Ant.

On a Gilliam run...

1534056345_Brasilsmaller.jpg.3c58b7b812154212d4ee4c918a9bb237.jpg

The man sure makes odd movies.

21 hours ago, Neurone said:

Hi All,

I do like a Terry Gilliam movie, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote should be out, if that is the movie you are thinking of, started in 1982 and finally released last year with a lot of changes.

JJ

There's a documentary that looks fascinating just released regarding the making of Who KIlled Don Quixote

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Keith Fulton and Lou Pepe have made a compelling follow-up to their 2002 look at the disastrous production of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

new 

On 21/11/2019 at 11:50 AM, Hergest said:

There's a documentary that looks fascinating just released regarding the making of Who KIlled Don Quixote

Wow, that would be an epic in itself!! What a drawn out saga that production was. I haven't seen the resulting movie but I must admit, while I'm a huge Python fan, Gilliam movies have never really struck a chord. Maybe I should revisit.....🤨

Moving onto tonight......

Related image

I watched "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" bluray. After my joy from watching "Solo" last week (after initial pessimism of Star Wars spin off stories), I ordered 'Rogue' stat!

Like 'Solo', I found this spin off superior to "The Last Jedi" in story line continuity and the simple fact, that like 'Solo', it made sense and connections with future events were satisfyingly handled. I found the final scene in 'Rogue One' with the DeathStar plans handover rather triumphant as everything fell into place.....even if CGI Princess Leia looked a little weird. At least she didn't have future Leia's nose!!😄

Visuals and audio were top shelf and special effects were pretty much flawless.....and that last stanza space battle was relentless and spectacular. Top stuff.

Overall, I found this spin off hugely entertaining boosted by a real connection in the similarity in style and feel to "A New Hope", evoking a similar magic I felt at age 17 when I witnessed the marvel that was "Star Wars" for the first time. Five thumbs up!👍👍👍👍👍

I can only hope that "The Rise Of Skywalker" gets the main story line back on track, because "The Last Jedi" was a letdown......sort of enjoyable but overall, implausibly silly.

Edited by stevoz

Saw this today with the wifey who is from Cornwall. 

Little bit smaltzy in parts and bit country folk in a town, but it's a gentle not. In yer face movie , good acting from all and course the glorious scenery . Having stayed in Conwall you understand how much the sea plays a part in people lives and the tragedies at sea over the sea. 

Misic is well done ( wife already had the soundtrack cd) 

enjoyable, low key n fun 

I usually zonk out with Netflix, and it seems that a load of their series' are between seasons.

Do I to seek refuge in my disk collection?

However shall I cope?

I hear that web forums are a good place to ask questions..

Back to you in the studio, Roger.

Long shot - excellent comedy

I watch a heck of a lot of movies, and like all genres and qualities, highbrow to lowbrow, but one classic movie I really struggle with is 2001. I've only "seen" it twice in my 50 years, once on DVD late 90s, and it was the first time I fell asleep in a movie. I tried again today on UHD, and I still struggle to get through it. I do appreciate the technical aspects of the achievement, and it was incredibly well made, and by a mile Kubrick's finest technical work. I enjoyed a lot the dawn of man segment, and the ape acting was incredibly well done, even by today's standards. Even little bits like the first ape to try touching the monolith, just brilliant. But after that I couldn't get into it. And some stuff like the intermission blank, the opening blank, just lost me. I don't think I've fast forwarded thru a movie before this.

I'm not trying to troll, or say anyone who likes it is wrong. Good on them. I wish I was one of them honestly

Hey @Mobe1969

I have read that many people left the cinema during screening when it was released.  Not the easiest movie to watch by a long shot.

I do like it, and watch it maybe once every 5 years.  My first viewing was under the influence of LSD, and I’m not recommending or suggesting that, but for a few years I watched many movies in an altered state, and they are very special memories for me still.

Cheers.

Ant.

19 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey @Mobe1969

I have read that many people left the cinema during screening when it was released.  Not the easiest movie to watch by a long shot.

I do like it, and watch it maybe once every 5 years.  My first viewing was under the influence of LSD, and I’m not recommending or suggesting that, but for a few years I watched many movies in an altered state, and they are very special memories for me still.

Cheers.

Ant.

Altered state... I like that. I used to be "altered" while I was watching Pulp Fiction. I think once or twice I watched it... "unaltered".

Still enjoy it each and every way.

I've been doing a Star Wars recap, and watching some Bond movies (in no particular order) just for the sake of it. Even after all these years, Bond is still damn cool!

Last, "Knives Out" in the movies a week or so ago. Good flick! Won't say anything to spoil, but the cast does a mean job, and the twist in the tale is great! Nice to see Chris Evans not trying to save the Earth in his America suit every once in a while.

Cheers,

Alberto

Yeah Chris Evans has had an odd career at least from my movie collection with Evans. I loved the Fantastic Four movies he was in. Other than that, and the other Marvel movies, I have Push (love it) and Puncture. Puncture is the only non sci fi /comic movie I could associate with him.

6 underground - believable stunt action movie, Michael Bay did very good job, one of the best I've seen to date 👍 (this movie is not about story line if anyone cares 😂 )

Time trap - quite interesting story, reminds me of The Time Machine, not bad for Sunday afternoon

Zombieland: Double Tap - 👎

Anna. Solid, hot chick action movie with a decent plot and acting, good action. Caught me completely by surprise and I only took it off the shelves because it was a Luc Besson film and it had Helen Mirren in it.

Fair warning: I have long had a weakness for hot blond, blue eyed Russian chicks.

16 hours ago, kukynas said:

6 underground - believable stunt action movie, Michael Bay did very good job, one of the best I've seen to date 👍 (this movie is not about story line if anyone cares 😂 )

I thought it was an excellent action movie and really enjoyed it despite being panned by the critics. Hope they do a sequel. 😎

I don't know why but i was a little bit disappointed by 6 underground. Maybe I expected too much mmh

On 06/01/2020 at 11:27 AM, A9X said:

Anna. Solid, hot chick action movie with a decent plot and acting, good action. Caught me completely by surprise and I only took it off the shelves because it was a Luc Besson film and it had Helen Mirren in it.

Fair warning: I have long had a weakness for hot blond, blue eyed Russian chicks.

It seemed to have been generally disliked, but I really liked it too.

My only minor complaint would be some of the retro stuff they were doing was so wrong for the period. Like that "laptop" she had in late 80s... I remember what a joke a "portable" computer was back then. I remember in 87 working on some (I think) Compaq portable with this horrific amber plasma screen, where the plasma had one pixel intensity, and they emulated half intensity by turning pixels on and off at a horrific refresh rate, a rate so slow it was hypnotic so on a solid window frame border you could hypnotize yourself following the adjacent pixels turning on and off around and around the border...

:)

On 06/01/2020 at 12:27 PM, A9X said:

Haven't seen this 1 yet but the rough premise seems pretty popular these days. Red Sparrow and Atomic Blonde come to mind.

24 minutes ago, blybo said:

Haven't seen this 1 yet but the rough premise seems pretty popular these days. Red Sparrow and Atomic Blonde come to mind.

That's not an unfair comparison.

Posted (edited)

I watched "Cold Pursuit" a couple of nights ago. Enjoyed it a lot......more of a dark comedy than an action thriller, although it had plenty of action too. It's no 'John Wick' or even 'Taken' and it could have been an absolute blast if they went down the full black comedy path.....but it was still quite funny and very entertaining.

https://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/cold-pursuit-2019/large_cold-pursuit-poster.jpg

Edited by stevoz