Jake

Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

Well, like Ant ( @BuzzzFuzzz), last night I also 'had a little weed' (ok, I had a lot and some whiskey as well!😃) and watched 'Atomic Blonde' on bluray.....wow, what a great action movie this is, with a nice 'twisty' and clever spy plot to boot. Charlize Theron is up there with Matt Damon and the Bourne series for the standard of the fight scenes. They were brutal and thoroughly realistic! Oh and she's pretty easy on the eye to boot (can't wait for 'Furiosa' to arrive, if George Miller and Warner Brothers stop fighting that is😕). Great soundtrack too with some excellent late 80's music on show. I really enjoyed this movie. Big thumbs up......👍

Image result for atomic blonde
Edited by stevoz

Peppermint - pretty decent action movie

I thought Pepermint was good, and the ending left it open for a sequel...maybe...

7 hours ago, SandS said:

I thought Pepermint was good, and the ending left it open for a sequel...maybe...

Yep

Last night I watched 'The Incredibles 2' on bluray. Loved it. Big thumbs up.

Last week I watched 'Interstellar'. I've had it for ages, it runs for ages....which has put me off watching it in the past as I have to allocate a fair chunk of time to watch it. Another thing which made me avoid it for awhile was that I kept seeing a vid on Youtube titled 'The ending of Interstellar explained'. Oh, it must be a weird ending, I concluded. Well, after watching and following and enjoying 95% of it, the ending left me cold.....did I miss something, wtf is going on?

Must seek out that 'explanation' vid......😕

Edited by stevoz

I thought Interstellar was good, thought the ending okay. But for me with a scope (21:9) screen, when they slip in a few minutes of IMAX footage in the picture goes off the top and bottom of the screen, a bit annoying, they shoul stick to one ratio for the whole movie.  

I adore Interstellar and no matter how many times i watch it there are 4 or 5 scenes that never fail to move me strongly emotionally. Brilliant film but it took a few views to comprehend the end. Not the end of the film itself but the end of the main scenario with the endless rooms.

It also helps with the enjoyment that the soundtrack is so good and the cinematography stunning.

I watch a few movies over the weekend.

First up was the Sally Potter written and directed The Party made in 2017, considering the cast I was expecting great things from this short 68min B&W piece.

It was good, but contrived, and two of the seven actors grated with me, if only for the lines they were asked to deliver.

Worth a watch, as it's quite funny in parts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5814592/

Next up was the 2018 Australian Sc-Fi movie The Gateway, starring Jacqueline McKenzie.

This was obviously a very very low budget production, and suffers for it.

The premise of the movie was OK in Sc-Fi terms, but the mostly wooden acting to the lousy script, didn't help the low set production standards.....it looked like a Film School production [could well be for all I know]

It might far better if remade with better script/cast and sets.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6179746/

Next up was the action/horror movie The MEG.

If I were 12 I might have enjoyed this more, but I'm not, so it bored me.

A Chinese produced movie, it seems to cater for that audience in a lot of scenes, while still trying to be a Western style action/horror movie.

A LOT...no, ALL of the story was implausible, much like a 50's Sc-Fi movie.

If you enjoy some mindless action then you might enjoy this movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8235660/

Lastly was the 4k version of First Man.

Firstly they have made this movie to look like it was shot on old film stock and remastered, it has that slight film grain and slight colour cast throughout.

Nothing new is revealed about Neil Armstrong, apart from the death of his young daughter which spurred him to apply to become a astronaut , and Ryan Gosling's performance of him makes one think Armstrong was a completely anally retentive dullard, but then again Gosling did the same thing with his performance in Blade Runner 2049, maybe that's why he was cast in the role?

The special effects are good, the way they make you feel like you really are just sitting in a tin can strapped to a rocket and could die at any moment are palpable, probably the only reason to watch this movie TBH.

It gets a OK from me, but ultimately it's quite a boring movie, the Right Stuff covered this topic so much better [apart from the special effects]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213641/

Minions.....bluray......last night......enjoyable.🙂

Paramount

Airplane is one of the best comedies of all time and managed two historic feats: It popularized the film parody genre and introduced the world to the comedy side of Leslie Nielsen. Though Nielsen was already a very successful actor — playing mostly romantic leads, captains and cops — Airplane! was the first example of his stellar deadpan delivery. With a bevy of classic quotes, critics and audiences agreed that this was surely a seminal comedy. But don’t call him Shirley.

I had not seen Airplane in years. It still gives me a good belly laff. .

Some of those classic quotes: 

Capt. Oveur: Ok give me Hamm on 5 and hold the Mayo

Dr. Rumack: Captain, how soon can we land?
Capt. Oveur: I can't tell.
Dr. Rumack: You can tell me, I'm a doctor.

Capt. Oveur: Have you ever been in a plane cockpit before?
Joey: No, sir.
Capt. Oveur: Ever seen a grown man naked?

Edited by cultfilman

Another classic comedy I watched on the weekend was the very funny Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987). RottenTomatoes said of this side splitter " Thanks to the impeccable chemistry between Steve Martin and John Candy, as well as a deft mix of humor and heart, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a hilarious, heartfelt holiday classic.

I agree 100%. The best thing both Steve Martin and John Candy did in mho. 

Image result for PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES

Edited by cultfilman

I've just watched the documentary movie CODA by Stephen Nomura Schible about the life and work of Japanese composer and actor Ryuichi Sakamoto.[Yellow Magic Orchestra, Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence, The Last Emperor, The Reverent]

It just came out yesterday, so I thought I'd grab it while JB still had a 20% off sale.

It's a very contemplative documentary as he has been fighting stage three throat cancer [seems to have got through it].

Recommended if you are music minded and like to see the creative process.

Just watched 'Deadpool 2' bluray.....the longer 'Super Duper $@%!#& Cut' (don't bother checking, those symbols are correct😄). Could 'Deadpool 1' be possibly bettered? I think yes😎..... 5 stars! .....and wanting more.👍

this one was a real surprise after a string of disappointments from the VideoEze kiosk! ... they used original 1940s rifles/weapons! the extras are well worth a watch... and a soft R rating... very effective soundtrack. I think I'll grab the B-ray.

On 16/03/2019 at 3:46 PM, Jimboz said:

this one was a real surprise after a string of disappointments from the VideoEze kiosk! ... they used original 1940s rifles/weapons! the extras are well worth a watch... and a soft R rating... very effective soundtrack. I think I'll grab the B-ray.

I enjoyed it immensely. The Dolby Atmos track is near reference. Image is pretty good on 4K Blu-ray, not quite amazing, but pretty good nevertheless. Historical accuracy is wanting, but hey, it's a B-grade horror made to A-grade movie production levels. Overall a great movie and very entertaining.

On 11/03/2019 at 1:54 PM, cultfilman said:

Another classic comedy I watched on the weekend was the very funny Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987). RottenTomatoes said of this side splitter " Thanks to the impeccable chemistry between Steve Martin and John Candy, as well as a deft mix of humor and heart, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a hilarious, heartfelt holiday classic.

I agree 100%. The best thing both Steve Martin and John Candy did in mho. 

Image result for PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES

Those aren't pillows!!!!!!!!!

RIP John Candy. Planes, Trains... was a Steve Martin film of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels calibre, and not of SGT Bilko calibre :) 

What do you reckon the temperature is......

One

Bumblebee - I expected movie about transformers with some teenagers in it and instead got movie about teenagers with transformers in it 🙄 , oh well better than nothing...

Hunter Killer - not bad for action movie but it had bigger potential, missing more drama and tension 

Polar is great fun!

on Netflix with Mads Mikkelsen - Should really go and see him in "Arctic" before it leaves the cinema - that looks fantastic.

"yer but no but" "what's the score George Dawes" like you never seen him befor.

I watch the 3D version of Aquaman last night, JB had it for sale a day early.

Very good 3D version, if your into 3D Blurays.

The movie is your typical Warner Bros - DC comic dross.

Too long with pointless and repeated fight scenes against the same enemy, mass battle at the end..etc...but it's worse sin is it's really badly cliched, you know how things are going to go 10 minutes into the movie.....absolutely no surprises or thought went into the script, movie by numbers.

It looks good, and will keep the kids entertained is the best I could say about it.

6 hours ago, Tweaky said:

It looks good, and will keep the kids entertained is the best I could say about it.

Good, I'm pretty juvenile and want to be entertained! :tongue:

47 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

Good, I'm pretty juvenile and want to be entertained!

Me too. I just want to watch action and movement for  a couple of hours and escape from the world. I'm watching it Thursday night.

I bought the FRINGE box set.

Small hiccup, took a few weeks to arrive at the shop.

OK, two small hiccups: I was initially handed a plastic bag with the box set in it - "FRIENDS". It had to go back. Not sure I look the type for that series, but I'm glad they didn't mistakenly give me S(w)einfeld or the shop may have regretted it.

As @A9X said above,  action and movement, and (importantly for me) not a lot of bad science. Halfway through the first season.

1 hour ago, A9X said:

Me too. I just want to watch action and movement for  a couple of hours and escape from the world. I'm watching it Thursday night.

From what I've heard, a certain couple of hours of 'action and movement' worth avoiding is the new "Hellboy".....why do they bother? Del Toro's 'Hellboy' only came out 15 years ago and is rather good, in fact, very good. I don't get these film companies who reckon they can do something better to squeeze out a few more dollars from a 'superhero fatigued' film public......then produce complete dross.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-16/hellboy-reboot-is-proof-not-every-comic-book-film-is-a-hit/11002496?section=arts-culture&jwsource=cl

Edited by stevoz