Jake

Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

39 minutes ago, betocool said:

I watched "Ghost In The Shell", the 2017 movie.

It was OK, but it's not a patch ot GITS (1995) and GITS 2: Innocence. Both are wonderful animations from Mamoru Oshii. They are very different visually, but can be watched back to back without it being an issue.

Watch them and you'll understand what they were trying to do in the 2017 movie, but failed to achieve.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:07 AM, DonGreen said:

Any update on the Blade Runner sequel?

Initial reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Have you seen the shorts set between the first film (2019) and the sequel (2049)?

Black Out is member-locked to a lower resolution by the host but is worth seeing in its intended 1080P if you can. The youtube links can be streamed in 1080P:

2022: black out

2036: nexus dawn

2048: nowhere to run

I thought the original was only good, but I've been an SF addict since the mid-1950s.

If these are any indication of BR2049 I'm in for a treat.

Greg

Off to the cinema to watch "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" in a mo... curious.

have seen first 20 minutes of Remember (2015) but not sure what to expect from it

Well, I did see Golden Circle last night, and I enjoyed it very much despite (or because of) the bad reviews. Just more of the same really, a bit less gory than the first one, very entertaining, and some things very unexpected, without giving away anything.

Elton John is funny as! And Bruce Green does a fair mock president Trump.

Cheers,

Alberto

I watched a few minutes of original Blade Runner and was bored within seconds.

here's hoping the sequel is more exciting!

How could you watch the sequel if you didn't like the first?

I have a few months before the BluRay comes out, till then I'll have to have watched Blade Runner. Last time I watched it I didn't connect with it so much, but let's face it, I was a teenager and it was dubbed in German :mellow:

20 hours ago, winnerwinner said:

I watched a few minutes of original Blade Runner and was bored within seconds.

here's hoping the sequel is more exciting!

I've seen the sequel and reckon you'd feel the same way if you saw it. Probably more so.

I, personally, thought it was great. The only sequel I've ever seen - bar Back To The Future (which breaks all the rules) - that has met my expectations. And that's saying something considering I have rated that film highly since 1982.

On 9/30/2017 at 6:37 PM, GregWormald said:

I thought the original was only good, but I've been an SF addict since the mid-1950s.

If these are any indication of BR2049 I'm in for a treat.

Greg

You'll be happy Greg. See it on the biggest screen you can. I saw it on the local equivalent of an IMAX and I'm glad I did.

The Circle (2017) - don't know what to say but once was enough

XXX: Return of Xander Cage - similar to its predecessor, class B type from late 80's early 90's

Space between us - I didn't expect much but at the end it ended up as pretty nice movie 

The Dark Tower - huge potential, pity they didn't utilize it

On 6.10.2017 at 2:32 PM, betocool said:

How could you watch the sequel if you didn't like the first?

I have a few months before the BluRay comes out, till then I'll have to have watched Blade Runner. Last time I watched it I didn't connect with it so much, but let's face it, I was a teenager and it was dubbed in German :mellow:

I don't think it was a direct sequel if you get me. Like, the gap is so big that the new film is catered towards a new crowd.

Went to see the Kingsman - Golden Circle with the handbrake last week.

I originally thought it was a doco about the fruit processing industry here in Australia but I was proved wrong within the first few minutes. :cool:

We left the cinema feeling a little underwhelmed and thought it could have been a bit shorter.

I'll see what SPC have in the pipeline...................

Right-o!

Started with "Rogue One" on Saturday and continued with "A New Hope" Sunday.... what a great pair! Ep. IV just slides in seamlessly after Rogue One, just marvelous!

I'll give this sequence a try this time: Rogue One, IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VI and VII in December. Should keep me busy.

Saw Get Out at the movies earlier this year and got around to watching it on DVD on Sunday. Great film, well made for a first attempt by Jordan Peele.

MV5BNTE2Nzg1NjkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTgyODMyMTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Was most unfortunate yesterday to have to sit through the steaming turd that is Ben Elton's Three Summers. Absolute garbage with every 'joke' and every 180 degree change in lifestyle/prejudice/opinion/sexuality seen coming half an hour before and when it does arrive does so with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

I would have got up and left after 10 minutes but thought my wife must be enjoying it. Turns out she would have left after 10 minutes but thought it rude. Bugger.

Ben Elton can still deliver the goods. The BBC series Upstart Crow is really good and almost on par with Black Adder. This film was rubbish though. 

Edited by Hergest

ATM Currently watching a doco of James Brown on NITV. Great stuff

After "Empire" I sat last night through "Phantom Menace". It was difficult to skip "Return of the Jedi" and jumping to the beginning, but I managed.

What can I say, I still like the pod races, and young Anakin is just a kid. If you disregard the Jar-Jar bits, it's a very enjoyable movie. Reckon if we send a mass letter to Kathleen Kennedy to release a Jar-Jar Free edition they might? I pretended during watching that those scenes were deleted... worked just as well.

Baby Driver - very good action movie...

Checked the Blu-ray of 'San Andreas' last week, a rollicking 'suspend your belief' popcorn disaster movie....it was fun and with a good soundtrack. The other night, 'Lucy' (Scarlett Johanssen/Blu-ray). Great soundtrack from the opening music and onwards....good film too that just went a little whack at the end.:)

On 11/19/2017 at 3:17 PM, stevoz said:

Checked the Blu-ray of 'San Andreas' last week, a rollicking 'suspend your belief' popcorn disaster movie....it was fun and with a good soundtrack. The other night, 'Lucy' (Scarlett Johanssen/Blu-ray). Great soundtrack from the opening music and onwards....good film too that just went a little whack at the end.:)

I might give San Andreas a go... just for kicks, but I'm in the middle of a Star Wars frenzy. Just off the list Rogue One, A New Hope, Empire, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones last night. Man that Anakin is annoying! At least Obi Wan sort of saves the movie. At least Sith is much darker!

I could not connect with Lucy... good premise but too out there from the middle on...

Cheers,

Alberto

JB having a sale is always a good excuse for picking up something different......but wow, this one really was 'Different'

I watched the most bizarre movie ever last night, 'The Greasy Strangler'

In a lot of ways it was truly awful, but I must admit I did get a laugh out of it in places just for the pure ' WTF am I watching?' of it.

Not recommended for the easily offended, as there is 'simulated nudity' and sex acts, along with explicit language.

Review below that pretty much sums it up.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/greasy-strangler/review/