Jake

Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

On 17/04/2019 at 3:58 PM, Mobe1969 said:

If you make it through the first season, IMHO, it gets really good after that. 

Nice to see Leonard Nimony show up in it too. Especially the animated one.

I finished the FRINGE Blu-ray box set a couple of days ago. It was like saying goodbye to a friend who was off on a new adventure.

Quite enjoyed the storyline, and noted they had to modify the paradigm a few times, and that was a little uncomfortable (as it was like starting S1 again).

Maybe I'll go back one day and view all the features and explanations. I watched a few features and in one an actor said that not all things were explained to her satisfaction; whereas I accepted it all on face value and happily acknowledge that sufficient explanation was provided.

Nimoy rocked, as did the entire cast. Was interesting to see Josh Jackson (Pacey from Dawson's Creek) and Meghan Markle.

Recommended if you like some sci-fi, although be prepared for some interesting curve-balls when it comes to messing with science facts.

JB had a 3 for $40 sale on, so I went to see what I don't already have.

Bought 'Bad times at the Hotel El Royale'....I'd describe it as between a Coen Bros [Blood Simple] and a Quntin Tarantino movie.....well worth the watch, but IMHO a bit one paced....3.9/5

HEREDITARY was another I bought....Staring Toni Collette and Gabriel Bryne.....It's a Major effort by Toni Collette, and she does carry the rest of the cast.....but once seen, you know why......Think a Modernized take/ twist on the EXORCIST .....similar scare factor......Acting 4.5/5 story 3.5/5

Just too fill the 3 for $40 limit, I got the Tom sNooze 3D version of THE MUMMY.....unsurprisingly , yet to watch

On 31/05/2019 at 9:03 AM, betocool said:

Just came out with my kids, 7 and 9, from watching Aladdin. Man! What a cracking movie! Will Smith does not only do the Genie justice, his own Will-Smith-ness is a joy to behold! Funny as you wish, and the odd twist and turn that makes it a nice refresher from the 1993 movie.

Loved it, more than my kids methinks.

Cheers,

Alberto

absolutely brilliant 👍

On 31/05/2019 at 5:03 PM, betocool said:

Just came out with my kids, 7 and 9, from watching Aladdin. Man! What a cracking movie! Will Smith does not only do the Genie justice, his own Will-Smith-ness is a joy to behold! Funny as you wish, and the odd twist and turn that makes it a nice refresher from the 1993 movie.

Loved it, more than my kids methinks.

Cheers,

Alberto

I was afraid that Robin Williams would be rolling in his grave (however, if it's with laughter, then it's acceptable).

It just that I can imagine Will Smith doing his best "Fresh Prince" (from the TV sow and not the rap act) and coming off as forced humour, or a slightly more palatable Steve Urkel, like he did a few times in MIB.

On 11/06/2019 at 10:51 AM, Uncle Seth said:

I finished the FRINGE Blu-ray box set a couple of days ago. It was like saying goodbye to a friend who was off on a new adventure.

Quite enjoyed the storyline, and noted they had to modify the paradigm a few times, and that was a little uncomfortable (as it was like starting S1 again).

Maybe I'll go back one day and view all the features and explanations. I watched a few features and in one an actor said that not all things were explained to her satisfaction; whereas I accepted it all on face value and happily acknowledge that sufficient explanation was provided.

Nimoy rocked, as did the entire cast. Was interesting to see Josh Jackson (Pacey from Dawson's Creek) and Meghan Markle.

Recommended if you like some sci-fi, although be prepared for some interesting curve-balls when it comes to messing with science facts.

Did you spot the observer in every episode? If not, then watch it all again lol :)

Hi All,

Fringe was a really good series, especially as 2 of the leads were Australians 👍

JJ

On 21/06/2019 at 1:30 PM, Mr_Gadget said:

Did you spot the observer in every episode? If not, then watch it all again lol :)

Aw, c'mon Mr G. More homework?

Well where to start....I have been working overtime for last 2 months. Long story short staryed to catch up on the movies as Mrs is away for the weekend... Wellso far a bummerr.....started with MEG...terrible lasted 30 minutes......nextone Mandy as I like Nic Cage...but Its slow and boring...lasted about 40 minutes......Then Predator....well Ive got no words....My Dog can act better than any of the actors in this movie.....Jesus...It's a disaster......You dont beilieve me...See Angus act.. tired lazy So He can get a treat without asking....Im done.....Time to watch something different...IMG-20190606-WA0000.jpeg

I just bought and watched 'Destroyer' from JB today,

The much vaulted[If you believe the hype] Nicole Kidman movie in a role where she plays a [for a better word], a De-shelved former undercover cop , having to face here demons when a case she was involved in years previously, re-engages her, and subsequently, her daughter.

It's released by MADMAN, and consequently , it's only available as a DVD for 'Budget distribution reasons' iy would seem.

This movie has it's merits, but it's not a 'Must Have'.

It's one paced, and because of the way the movie is edited, it's somewhat confusing as in time frame [is it current time ? or Flash Back ? - it swaps between the two too easily ]

This confusing editing left me not caring about the main story and charterer after 75% into the movie

Maybe a repeated viewing might amend that.....if I can be bothered...I don't know....other movies to watch.

I'll leave it as a tentative , OK movie.....Kidman is good in it, but I found her make up [as in visual] varied from scene to scene [could of been but down to lighting as well ], and that distracted me somewhat, as her aging [general look] seems pivotal  to the story

Posted (edited)

Watched Transcendence (Johnny Depp) for the second time. Don’t know what it is about this film but I absolutely love it. It’s before it time, the ideas it contains. The ending is a cracker too. I fail to see why everyone was so negative about this but each to their own I guess.

Edited by deviltoob

28 minutes ago, deviltoob said:

Watched Transcendence (Johnny Depp) for the second time. Don’t know what it is about this film but I absolutely love it. It’s before it time, the ideas it contains. The ending is a cracker too. I fail to see why everyone was so negative about this but each to their own I guess.

Checked the trailer and just ordered a copy. 👍

Watched "Yesterday"... the other day! I loved it! But then I am a big Beatles fan, so any chance to listen to their songs rearranged is a good chance. The story is simple (but I won't tell), the acting is good, characters are likeable (check out Rocky the Roadie, he steals the show!), and there are one or two surprises along the way which are very well placed in my opinion.

If you don't like the Beatles, don't even bother. Seriously though, having to pretend you never heard of the Beatles must be difficult!

Cheers,

Alberto

I watched 'Stan & Ollie' last night, about Laurel & Hardy's last tour of the UK and Ireland in 1957.

It's a really well made movie, the performances of Steve Coogan and John C Reilly are impressive, they really nail the characters and a very believable.

The other impressive thing about this movie is the makeup, especially turning John C Reilly in Oliver Hardy, it's a amazing transformation.

It's a relationship movie more than anything else, not only between Stan & Ollie, but also their respective wives, which were as mentioned in the movie, were another sort of double act.

Well worth watching, even the Blurays extras are worth watching.

Swords and sandals 

Shazam - maybe interesting for age of 10-13 otherwise highly avoidable 

Posted (edited)

Black 47. on DVD.  Great Irish film that certainly gets the Irish blood in you boiling.

James Frecheville from Animal Kingdom plays a great roll.

Edited by Tony ray