Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

I've been watching 'The Handmaidens Tale' TV series, which I believe SBS will start showing soon.

This is not light viewing, quite disturbing in a lot of ways.

It's about a future America, where due to pollution the vast majority of the population has become sterile.

The whole of America has fallen under one highly restrictive and controlling religious sect, with dress codes and punishments much like ISIS.

The main story is of women who are found still able to fall pregnant assigned to a man to have children, they are called the 'Handmaidens', and how they are controlled both mentally and physically by this sectarian society.

Not that far fetched when you consider some of the weird sects in the USA almost identical to the one portrayed in this series.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know The Hobbit is far too drawn out as is the last in the Lord Of The Rings trilogy but I do enjoy watching these. My wife has gone back to England for a fortnight so it's a film each night. Tonight I start on the LOTR, one eye on the knitting the other on the telly.

LOTR.thumb.jpg.0194293f277ef8d7c586202c7e651dce.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/06/2017 at 6:51 PM, GregWormald said:

Novel by Margaret Eleanor Atwood, 1985.

Greg

It differs quite a lot from the novel.

The story is told is 'Back Flash' for a lot of it, just purely for comparison sake , between, pre and prior 'Revolution'......I'd love to story spoil......but it is SO TRUMP relative to what is happening now......serendipitous to when the script writers were writing it.........that's what makes it so scary.......It could happen....and sooner than you think.

On 22/03/2017 at 9:40 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

The Night Manager. A new 6 part mini series about an agent recruited to infiltrate the inner circle of an arms dealer. A double episode tonight.

I thought this was a great show.

• Like 2

have just finished watching House of Cards Season 5 - the best yet IMO.   (I read somewhere that Robin Wright now gets equal pay with Spacey - shows in the air time)

2 hours ago, scuzzii said:

have just finished watching House of Cards Season 5 - the best yet IMO.   (I read somewhere that Robin Wright now gets equal pay with Spacey - shows in the air time)

I feel it was a strange ending. It didnt follow logically from all that had come before it.

Edited by debblernuts

27 minutes ago, debblernuts said:

I feel it was a strange ending. It didnt follow logically from all that had come before it.

Without giving away the ending to those who haven't seen it, I initially thought the same but then afterwards felt it was exactly the right change in direction for the series to continue.

11 hours ago, scuzzii said:

have started watching Orphan Black on Netflix.  It took a few episodes to get into but now I am hooked.  The actress, Tatiana Maslany,  is such a talent playing several parts.  Great drama/thriller from BBC America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatiana_Maslany

I don't understand how it took a few episodes to get you hooked--I was well a truly caught about 10 minutes in!

Great show, plausible SF, insane talent, and made in Canada.

Greg

8 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I don't understand how it took a few episodes to get you hooked-

I wasn't quite sure what the show was about as I hadn't read anything on it nor heard anything about it - just selected it from menu in 'binge worthy'.  Or I'm just a slow dumb ........

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've had a few good rants about some movies of late, but like I've said before, Hollywood is really turning to Schitt.

i just turned off that insult of a movie, Kong skull Island. Who the hell are they making movies for these days, seriously. 

17 hours ago, Sime said:

I know I've had a few good rants about some movies of late, but like I've said before, Hollywood is really turning to Schitt.

i just turned off that insult of a movie, Kong skull Island. Who the hell are they making movies for these days, seriously. 

All too often the film is made for anybody who has money they can take.

Edited by GregWormald

23 hours ago, Sime said:

Dont watch them. I certainly dont. Last Hollywood I saw was the Marvels Avengers, or whatever it was called, and it was a piece of ****. I only watch Nordic noir type shows, as I said above, or South Korean/chinese movies occasionally. There's plenty of other good stuff. Hollywood b-grade trash is now considered a-grade. Baby Driver is a good example. So many good actors wasting their talent

Edited by debblernuts

• 4 weeks later...

Started to watch the Lethal Weapon films. Again.

Just finished the first one, what a classic! The eighties man, awesome movie, and funny as hell. Good preamble to Lethal Weapon 2. Richard Donner is a genius, too bad he stopped directing.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 1:09 AM, betocool said:

Started to watch the Lethal Weapon films. Again.

Just finished the first one, what a classic! The eighties man, awesome movie, and funny as hell. Good preamble to Lethal Weapon 2. Richard Donner is a genius, too bad he stopped directing.

Cheers,

Alberto

Never thought I'd say it  but are the 80s now the Golden Age of Cinema?

Love reliving so many of the films.

Perhaps I'm just getting old and nostalgic.

47 minutes ago, joz said:

Never thought I'd say it  but are the 80s now the Golden Age of Cinema?

Love reliving so many of the films.

Perhaps I'm just getting old and nostalgic.

I guess I enjoy everything that was done in the 90's with all it's digital revolution (case in point T2), some over the top action (John Woo a prime example), even thou there are some real disappointments, or stuff where you can say "Ohhh.. that looks fake". Probably because I was in my early teens till my early 20's by the turn of the millenium.

There's still some good movies out there, but I don't regret not going to the movies so often.

And yes... getting old....

HI All

Since the weekend of 5 August, I have been watching the first 6 series of GoT on Bluray, preparing myself for when iTunes has it in the next few weeks.

I found that watching the whole 6 series filled in a lot of things that I had forgotten, even having read the first 5 books and found the inability to follow the television series after doing this.

JJ

• Like 1

On 7/17/2016 at 6:30 PM, unclemack said:

I agree. I loved this and Man of Steel. The DC stuff seems so much darker and "grown-up" in comparison to the bright, shiny Marvel stuff...

Watched Legend last night. Tom Hardy playing the Kray twins. Bloody awful film. Reminded me of Buster with Phil Collins from years ago. A lightweight puff piece disguised as a love story..Yuck! Hardy was pretty good as Ronnie but his Reg had all the menace of Martin Lawrence... His worst film and performance to date. A stinker.

Cheers

M

an old post i know but didnt want to double up on the movie

i saw the original one called The Krays many years ago, enjoyed it so much i didnt want to see the 2015 version, thought it might spoil the memory somehow but how wrong i was, i thoroughly enjoyed it, dont know much about Tom Hardy but i thought he did an amazing job, yeah Reggie wasnt totally menacing but the focus was on Ronny for that, could and will easily watch it again

one mans trash...another mans treasure i guess

• Like 1

Fate of the Furious was better than Furious 7, although a bit over the top (ain't they all?). The Rock is a funny bugger though!

Went on with Lethal Weapon 2 last night, what a cracker... again! That whole bathroom bomb sequence is just too damn well done! And the rest of the movie is pretty good too. I rate it the best of the lot.

And just now, for a bit of entertainment... "X-Men Apocalypse". I read they'll start another trilogy with this younger generation now... fix what they've broken on "The Last Stand".

Cheers,

Alberto