Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

15 hours ago, April Snow said:

Love Death & Robots

Netflix

Just coz it was weird and riverting .........

Unknown.jpg

I thought the first season was better than the second, seems to have tried to be more mainstream the second time around... :ermm:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

I thought the first season was better than the second, seems to have tried to be more mainstream the second time around... :ermm:

I don't know, I binged watched both - sort of like Black Mirror but cartoon style. I enjoyed most of the stories and the animation was excellent on some. 

Last night I sat down to watch the bluray of "1917". What an amazing movie this is, a two pan/two scene movie from start to......well, I didn't get that far! My beautiful Philips Cineos Plasma TV  (18 years old) basically stopped with a bang about 70 minutes in. More like a loud whipcrack and flash, followed by that unmistakable acrid smell of 'electrical fault'. I was spewing! Time for a new, larger TV I believe.....sigh.  I think I'll wait awhile and watch it from the start again as the tension build is phenomenal and the one continuous shot delivery is mind boggling. An absolute triumph in technical and performance achievement.

Amazon.com: 1917 Blu-ray + DVD + Digital - BD Combo Pack: George MacKay,  Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Colin  Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sam Mendes, Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann

Edited by stevoz

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

Last night I sat down to watch the bluray of "1917". What an amazing movie this is, a two pan/two scene movie from start to......well, I didn't get that far! My beautiful Philips Cineos Plasma TV  (18 years old) basically stopped with a bang about 70 minutes in. More like a loud whipcrack and flash, followed by that unmistakable acrid smell of 'electrical fault'. I was spewing! Time for a new, larger TV I believe.....sigh.  I think I'll wait awhile and watch it from the start again as the tension build is phenomenal and the one continuous shot delivery is mind boggling. An absolute triumph in technical and performance achievement.

I actually hate war movies but this one was incredible - so brilliantly done, you will love it on the bigger screen when you update - it will be worth the wait. Happy Shopping !!!!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased a new TV, a very well priced Blaupunkt 65" 4K QLED  (wanted OLED but couldn't stretch the budget) and have been watching a few movies to see what it looks like. Admittedly, I am watching via a cheap Sony bluray player I have borrowed of my Dad, after the 'plasma incident' appears to have fried the HDMI output on my Cambridge Audio 650BD bluray player (Damn:shocked:......but it still has audio and plays CD's and SACD's, which I will still be using it for).

First, I completed "1917" but didn't have full surround sound, just 2.0 as I was forced to use a composite lead for audio. Lots of panning in this movie and the backgrounds looked a little below par at times but the overall detail was amazing. Powerful movie.....and a technological marvel. Worth watching.

Amazon.com: 1917 Blu-ray + DVD + Digital - BD Combo Pack: George MacKay,  Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Colin  Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sam Mendes, Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann

Next I watched "The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug" and had bought an optical lead, which I thought would give me 5.1 audio but alas, it gave me 2.1 but I have to say, the picture quality was insane.....mesmerising. Another great film.....far fetched of course and could have been a little shorter but I was transfixed all the way to the end.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - IMDb

Last night it was what I consider a reference movie visually and audio wise....."Avatar" and it didn't disappoint. Even via this cheapie Sony player it was stunning to look at on the QLED screen and still pretty good in 2.1 audio. 

Avatar (Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Amazon.ca: James Cameron: DVD

I have purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Bluray Player from Selby's and am just awaiting the Covid delayed delivery¬¬.

This player has awesome reviews and will take the picture quality to new heights and see a return to full surround sound. Can't wait.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Love 1

Watched half of this last night. I've been hanging to see it for months. Only stopped to go to sleep. I was far from bored but you'd want to be wide awake to take in the very complex premise, and there was around 50 minutes remaining when I was ready to crash.

BF43BE82-FCA5-4C93-8104-73ADB1F8DA0A.thumb.jpeg.d719d67eac832dfa7062bc519f9df3b9.jpeg

A brilliant piece of work by Nolan (albeit I haven't seen the conclusion) who I only realised today has been crafting these cerebral scifi thrillers for ages. Starting way back with Memento, or even earlier? Tenet is a little bit reminiscent of Inception, but a lot more compelling and interesting to me.

I've become a fan of Robert Pattinson recently, who is very good as usual, as is Kenneth Branaugh. The lead in this - John David Washington is also very good. I don't think I've seen him before.

God I wish there were more film makers of this quality out there, because this level is far too rare for my liking. Cuáron is up there, as is González Iñárritu. Spielberg is a great (obviously) but hasn't released anything since Ready Player One, which I love btw. There are a few others, but not enough to produce constant quality content.

Edited by Esoterica
Typo
  • Like 1

Last night I watched another ignored movie.....well, not so much 'ignored' but frustratingly un-watched due to my old bluray players refusal to play it. "Real Steel" bluray.....a fun popcorn flick with a thunderous audio track. Impressive LFE to say the least. The actual movie.....quite enjoyable after a few scotches!:P

Amazon.com: Real Steel [Region Free] [Blu-ray]: Hugh Jackman, -: Movies & TV

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a bit of a movie watching spree over the last week. I have my new tele (Blaupunkt QLED 65" 4K), the new Panasonic 4K bluray player (DP-UB820) has arrived and I have finally got the leads all set.....so have been auditioning some blockbusters.

Started with the 4K bluray of "Avengers: Infinity War".....at this point I was still using an old HDMI lead because it was long enough to reach the TV as the new high speed lead was not long enough, so I got normal bluray standard picture, which was still bloody amazing as the player upscales. The film itself was very enjoyable with the usual cracking audio track.

Avengers: Infinity War | JB Hi-Fi

I then got the longer high speed HDMI lead and re-watched parts of the above to check picture quality and it was stunning in true 4K.....but I must say, this new player upscales normal bluray so well, it is pretty hard to tell the difference between it and true 4K.....both are amazing.

Next was "Anna", another 'gorgeous spy chick' action film in the vain of 'Red Sparrow' and 'Atomic Blonde' and directed by Luc Besson. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie and it's clever plot and 'looping' timelines.....it's a beauty and the action (and audio track) is great. She kicks arse!

Anna (Blu-ray + DVD) - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

I then continued with 'The Hobbit' series with the final instalment "The Battle of the Five Armies" bluray and like 'The Desolation Of Smaug", it was visually stunning, great audio track and brilliant action if a little drawn out. Overall, an enjoyable trilogy. I think I'll watch The Lord Of The Rings trilogy again now.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies | Blu-ray | Free shipping over  £20 | HMV Store

Last night it was the final Avengers movie "Endgame" on bluray.....three hours of far fetched mayhem that I really enjoyed and that looked and sounded brilliant as is to be expected.

Marvel Avengers Endgame Blu-Ray | BIG W

Very happy with the new set up although while the audio is great, does it compete with my former Cambridge Audio player for sonic brilliance? Not quite.....with dialogue slightly less defined and the overall presentation not quite as 'lush' in it's beefiness as the CA Azur player, however it is still thunderously satisfying overall......via the CA Azur AV receiver. :thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/06/2021 at 11:37 AM, stevoz said:

Been on a bit of a movie watching spree over the last week. I have my new tele (Blaupunkt QLED 65" 4K), the new Panasonic 4K bluray player (DP-UB820) has arrived and I have finally got the leads all set.....so have been auditioning some blockbusters.

Started with the 4K bluray of "Avengers: Infinity War".....at this point I was still using an old HDMI lead because it was long enough to reach the TV as the new high speed lead was not long enough, so I got normal bluray standard picture, which was still bloody amazing as the player upscales. The film itself was very enjoyable with the usual cracking audio track.

Avengers: Infinity War | JB Hi-Fi

I then got the longer high speed HDMI lead and re-watched parts of the above to check picture quality and it was stunning in true 4K.....but I must say, this new player upscales normal bluray so well, it is pretty hard to tell the difference between it and true 4K.....both are amazing.

Next was "Anna", another 'gorgeous spy chick' action film in the vain of 'Red Sparrow' and 'Atomic Blonde' and directed by Luc Besson. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie and it's clever plot and 'looping' timelines.....it's a beauty and the action (and audio track) is great. She kicks arse!

Anna (Blu-ray + DVD) - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

I then continued with 'The Hobbit' series with the final instalment "The Battle of the Five Armies" bluray and like 'The Desolation Of Smaug", it was visually stunning, great audio track and brilliant action if a little drawn out. Overall, an enjoyable trilogy. I think I'll watch The Lord Of The Rings trilogy again now.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies | Blu-ray | Free shipping over  £20 | HMV Store

Last night it was the final Avengers movie "Endgame" on bluray.....three hours of far fetched mayhem that I really enjoyed and that looked and sounded brilliant as is to be expected.

Marvel Avengers Endgame Blu-Ray | BIG W

Very happy with the new set up although while the audio is great, does it compete with my former Cambridge Audio player for sonic brilliance? Not quite.....with dialogue slightly less defined and the overall presentation not quite as 'lush' in it's beefiness as the CA Azur player, however it is still thunderously satisfying overall......via the CA Azur AV receiver. :thumb:

Thanks for that review, I've been looking to replace my AZUR BD player for a 4K player, and stopped short a year or even two ago... Does the Panasonic have coax output? I'd like to feed it into the DAC.

Cheers,

Alberto

2 hours ago, betocool said:

Thanks for that review, I've been looking to replace my AZUR BD player for a 4K player, and stopped short a year or even two ago... Does the Panasonic have coax output? I'd like to feed it into the DAC.

Cheers,

Alberto

No it doesn't have a coaxial output (HDMI out x2 = 1 x video/audio and 1 x audio only, optical out and 7.1 RCA analogue out).....and beware, it doesn't play SACD's (as the CA Azur will) if that is important to you.

According to the manual, it is also not region-free, only playing B region blurays and DVD 4 discs....which annoyed me a little as I have a few 'other region' blurays because the CA player played EVERYTHING!

Post edit: I have since learned that is actually region free. The manual is badly worded with an 'example' showing local region codes that confused me into thinking they were the only regions playable. This is good news.

It is a bargain high quality performer.

Here's one for $445 which is ridiculous.....way cheaper than what I got mine for ($549). The RRP at most sellers is $719.

DP-UB820GNK Panasonic Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (appliancecentral.com.au)

Edited by stevoz

17 hours ago, stevoz said:

No it doesn't have a coaxial output (HDMI out x2 = 1 x video/audio and 1 x audio only, optical out and 7.1 RCA analogue out).....and beware, it doesn't play SACD's (as the CA Azur will) if that is important to you.

According to the manual, it is also not region-free, only playing B region blurays and DVD 4 discs....which annoyed me a little as I have a few 'other region' blurays because the CA player played EVERYTHING!

Post edit: I have since learned that is actually region free. The manual is badly worded with an 'example' showing local region codes that confused me into thinking they were the only regions playable. This is good news.

It is a bargain high quality performer.

Here's one for $445 which is ridiculous.....way cheaper than what I got mine for ($549). The RRP at most sellers is $719.

DP-UB820GNK Panasonic Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (appliancecentral.com.au)

Thanks for that... no COAX is a bit of a deal breaker for me, as I listen to my CD's through the DAC.

Having said that, if the stereo out is good enough, the DAC would still do optical and COAX. I only ever listen to stereo anyway. Are you using the stereo out or the 7.1? Optical I already have busy for the telly streamers and USB for the audio streamer.

Cheers,

Alberto

2 hours ago, betocool said:

Thanks for that... no COAX is a bit of a deal breaker for me, as I listen to my CD's through the DAC.

Having said that, if the stereo out is good enough, the DAC would still do optical and COAX. I only ever listen to stereo anyway. Are you using the stereo out or the 7.1? Optical I already have busy for the telly streamers and USB for the audio streamer.

Cheers,

Alberto

I'm using the 7.1 RCA outs (5.1 in my case) and the same for stereo CD listening. As a CD player it's very good. Different sound signature to the CA 650BD of course but not shy that's for sure. I'm enjoying it and it even had me searching for a few certain CD's to hear how they sounded. Detail retrieval is impressive indeed.

I did forget to mention that it also has a LAN ethernet connection for wireless streaming if that makes a difference.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz

The night before last I rewatched "Knowing" (on bluray) with Nicolas Cage and directed by Aussie Alex Proyas and filmed in Melbourne.....mainly because I recall that it has IMO, reference standard HT audio......an absolute cracking surround audio track with some bombastic set action pieces. On the new player, it did not disappoint. 

Buy Knowing on Blu-ray | Sanity

Last night, it was back to the Marvel universe with Spiderman: Far From Home on bluray. Good fun film with the usual high standard audio track and visual action. A good follow up to Avengers: Endgame.

Blu-ray Review – Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

• Like 1

A few nights ago I re-watched "Prometheus" on bluray (Steelbook). Great movie, visually stunning and great, if not mind blowing audio track. 

25 Blu-Ray Steelbooks (Wish List) ideas | blu ray, blu, blu ray movies

*Possible spoiler alert (for those who haven't yet viewed).

Last night I sat back and thoroughly enjoyed "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood". A great movie which does capture the vibe of the time very well. Great cast delivering some fine performances amidst an interesting take on historic events.....concluding with a rather comical and frankly relieving twist on the Tate murders. 

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood | JB Hi-Fi

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

The thing with Tarantino for me is, he gets me gripped from the beginning because I know somewhere between all the talk (which I enjoy) an unexpected bloodbath ensues.

Being quite familiar with the original Sharon Tate story, I was even more gripped because I knew something massive would come at the end. I was not disappointed. A very nice movie that one, a cool nod to another era, and good performances by both main leads. I found Margot Robbie was a bit underused, but hey, still good.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

not even crap,it's trash....one would assume with such good actors someone did the home work and put some effort into it, but no....haven't seen such bad movie (not even talking about sci-fi) for a long time, pressing stop button after 15 mins says it all...

165151607_c6aa03.jpg

I was bit sceptic at first but at the end I must say I was surprised, very good...

MV5BMWQ3N2EzNjYtMzgwYS00YjdmLThmOTUtMzc4

and than weekend with Jet Li (Contract killer, Romeo Must Die, The One, Kiss of the Dragon, Hero, Cradle 2 the Grave and Fearless) 

yes have seen Cosmic Sin at JB but having heard nothing about it previously had me wondering - might save the $ and see it it shows on Netflix etc then.

Watched The Little Things for the second time this weekend (wife fell asleep the first time - hence second viewing) - great movie.

Edited by hometheatrebugbitten

A few nights ago I watched a movie I had never heard about until I spotted it at JB Hi Fi....."Archive" on bluray. Interesting movie, visually great (as the cover promises) and OK soundtrack with an intriguing if far fetched plot.....but let's face it, that's a description which could cover most sci-fi plots. Worth a look.

Archive | JB Hi-Fi

Night before last I watched "The Gentlemen".....well, what a hoot this was. Ritchie is in fine form here as are the stellar cast, who seem to be having a great time, especially Hugh Grant who is great in this. Bloody funny, brutal and clever....all the ingredients for a rollicking time!

Gentlemen, The

• Like 3

Last night I watched "Midway" on bluray......and really enjoyed it. Technically brilliant, great story and visually and sonically pleasing. Lots of realistic action, especially in the air. A bit 'gung-ho patriotic' at times as a lot of Roland Emmerich films can be but the sacrifice and bravery of those whose stories are being told here cannot be denied. One of Emmerich's better films IMO.

Buy Midway on DVD | On Sale Now With Fast Shipping

• Like 1

Last night it was time for "The Equalizer". As a fan of the original TV series starring the brilliant Edward Woodward (who can forget the 'Callan' spy TV series?!), I was sceptical of this film even though I love Denzel. Very different from the TV series but equally satisfying. It went places I didn't think it would go and I really enjoyed it. I found it a little bit 'John Wick' and a little bit 'The Professional'....a great combination! Thumbs up from me and now looking forward to The Equalizer 2.

image.png.16f7a241fb1e2695df9155eee89e6939.png

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1