Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

• 1 month later...

Forgot to mention this the other night but I watched another 'ignored movie' from my collection. I've ignored it for so long, it was a DVD! Aussie director Alex Proyas "Dark City". Very stylish, well produced movie that doesn't always make sense but was very enjoyable all the same. Special effects were quite stunning for the time it was made (1998).....but soundtrack is a little dated now.

Image result for dark city dvd cover

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I watched a few of the new movies Amazon had on offer and were previewed on the "New movies" coming thread.

"Bliss"

image.png.5a716551a9377ac3110a5bee24004047.png

Weird man... I didn't like it. It's a mix of things put together that look cool and yet explains nothing. No point really.

Greenland:

image.png.7144f33bfd0c497868795df2d9f6d0f8.png

Yeah, I liked this one a lot, a bit of Armageddon and Deep Impact with good effects without straying too much into the impossible. It's a stretch, for sure, but still, enjoyable. The effect of the smaller asteroids hitting is truly dramatic.

I care a lot:

image.png.1e5330bc07ee3a86f015a83a255ab2c3.png

It's ok, pretty disturbing in the way the elderly are portrayed in the justice system. When you have a bad guy vs. bad guy situation you really don't know who to root for. In my case, none of them were charismatic enough to gain my sympathy (empathy?), at least not a la Ocean's 11, 12, 13, 8, where the bad guys had style at least.

Coming 2 America:

image.png.f2bb5bcc2703bcbc921ef5b599e7520b.png

Fun. A trip down to memory lane with most of the actors of the original. The ones who weren't were unfortunately deceased already, or very busy. But it's a sequel, and predictable at that. Still, could be worse. Good to see all familiar faces from 30+ years ago.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

Last night I watched "Red Sparrow" on Bluray......a stylish spy thriller starring Jennifer Lawrence and our own Joel Edgerton.  I read some reviews which said it was more style over substance but I thought the substance was pretty good despite a few flaws. I enjoyed it a lot. Great audio and visually stunning in parts. Fans of architecture will enjoy this!:P

Red-Sparrow-Blu-ray-2018-as-new-Jennifer-Lawrence-Joel-Edgerton-Jeremy-Irons

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Last night I watched "Red Sparrow" on Bluray......a stylish spy thriller starring Jennifer Lawrence and our own Joel Edgerton.  I read some reviews which said it was more style over substance but I thought the substance was pretty good despite a few flaws. I enjoyed it a lot. Great audio and visually stunning in parts. Fans of architecture will enjoy this!:P

Red-Sparrow-Blu-ray-2018-as-new-Jennifer-Lawrence-Joel-Edgerton-Jeremy-Irons

Yes, I enjoyed that too.  :)  If you like 'RS' ... you might like Luc Besson's "La Femme Nikita" and "Anna", Steve.

Andy

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yes, I enjoyed that too.  :)  If you like 'RS' ... you might like Luc Besson's "La Femme Nikita" and "Anna", Steve.

Andy

As well as Atomic Blonde

This evening I watched "Angels and Demons" which could qualify as an "ignored movie" that has been sitting unwatched in my collection for years. These movies have been delivering during my recent quest to 'unignore' them......this one left me underwhelmed. It could well be described as a 'Swiss cheese' movie..... Dan Brown doesn't deserve his fortune. ¬¬

ANGELS & DEMONS | Sony Pictures Entertainment

On 06/03/2021 at 3:30 PM, betocool said:

Fun. A trip down to memory lane with most of the actors of the original. The ones who weren't were unfortunately deceased already, or very busy. But it's a sequel, and predictable at that. Still, could be worse. Good to see all familiar faces from 30+ years ago.

I was bitterly disappointed by this. What a letdown for a much anticipated movie. The story was weak and basically a recycled script, with many of the exact same jokes and having most of the same actors was nostalgic, but also unnecessary. But they made it necessary by pretty much just making a different version of the original.

Besides some funny lines from the barber shop guys, Leslie Jones and Tracey Morgan, I thought it was boring and lame.

11 hours ago, stevoz said:

This evening I watched "Angels and Demons" which could qualify as an "ignored movie" that has been sitting unwatched in my collection for years. These movies have been delivering during my recent quest to 'unignore' them......this one left me underwhelmed. It could well be described as a 'Swiss cheese' movie..... Dan Brown doesn't deserve his fortune. ¬¬

ANGELS & DEMONS | Sony Pictures Entertainment

Steve, dig out this classic from 1986!

The Name of The Rose, the original is the best, forget the TV series

• Like 2

Last night I watched another 'ignored movie' from my collection......local 'thriller' "Red Hill" on Bluray. Yes, it was a bit of a thriller but also a black comedy if you ask me. I loved it.....a surprisingly entertaining little film.

Image 1 - Red-Hill-Blu-Ray-Ex-Rental-Free-Post

Last night I finally checked out the latest 'Terminator' movie 'Dark Fate' on bluray. I had been looking forward to this one and as expected it delivered in terms of special effects, action (quite relentless!) and bombastic surround soundtrack.  What it failed to deliver on was story......and any common sense this wrung out tome has left. Ultimately underwhelming. :ermm::unsure:

Terminator: Dark Fate DVD | DVD | BIG W

Last night I watched "The Doors: The Final Cut" extended version on bluray. Enjoyed it a lot.....it's a bit trippy and an interesting and accurate chronicle of the times.....amazing times! Kilmer is great I reckon, after awhile you forget it's him and just look at him as Jim. Good performance and a good movie.....and of course, great music. I love The Doors so it's a pity Morrison was such a self destructive idiot:P.....dead at 27, what a waste!

The Doors: The Final Cut – Movie Theaters – 2019 – Oliver Stone – 4K | full  in bloom

Edited by stevoz

Last night it was back to the blockbusters with "Wonderwoman" on bluray.  I really enjoyed this one, strong female lead character and an ok story line.....this is after all a comic flick.....and excellent action, CGI effects and strong surround audio with gutsy LFE. I have seen a lot of Marvel stuff but maybe the DC Universe is worthy of more viewings......although I can't bring myself to sit through the shambolic Aquaman, from what I've seen and heard.

Wonder Woman | JB Hi-Fi

• Like 2

I watched WW84 (Wonder Woman 84) the other night.

It was ok, a bit cliché... or maybe it was the 80's being like that, I can't remember well. The story was ok-ish... like @stevoz said, a comic book flick. I personally think Marvel are doing a much better job, but to each their own I guess.

I will have to find the will (and half a working day) to watch Justice League "The Snyder Cut".

Cheers

Alberto

• Like 1