Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

7 hours ago, stevoz said:

A few nights ago I checked this out. It was quite good.....great audio and pretty gripping at times......and quite satisfying with a few scotches.B|

Amazon.com: The Next Three Days [Blu-ray]: Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe, Paul  Haggis: Movies & TV

Great film ?

• Like 1

Guest Old Man Rubber

Three more saturday afternoon musicals over the last few weeks:

Lady Sings the Blues - Diana Ross.  Not sure what to think about it, great in parts, pretty variable performance from Ms Ross, love the subject matter (Billie Holiday biopic).  Unfortunately the incidental music was so seventies "TV special event" quality it really detracted from the period piece vibe of the film.  When Ms Ross is singing it's quite good indeed.  Worth seeing, not brilliant.

Oklahoma! - 1955.  Awful movie - too long, songs aren't really that good compared to Showboat or Seven Brides...  Long, weird extended  "arty" dance sequence in the middle that made no sense and featured two different actors from the actual cast.  Was kinda surprising to see Shirley Jones as the main female character.  Rod Steiger is pretty menacing in a completely unlikeable role.  Bonus points for the song in Rod's cabin where another character cheerily tries to convince him to hang himself.  Not the kind of fun we were expecting and the story sucks.  Avoid.

Calamity Jane - big, stupid fun.  Understated Howard Keel a bit of a surprise since he normally seems to occupy 110% of the screen chewing on the scenery with those massive, gleaming porcelain choppers of his.  Doris Day is a gurning, frenetic, tomboy  dervish until the big makover at the end (sorry, spoilers).  Fun, not terribly taxing on the old noodle and a slight but engaging story.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on a trip back to a time they called the 90's

Friday arvo I just needed to unwind and grabbed "Galaxy Quest". Good Star-Trek fandom spoof with Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman. What a great cast! Good fun and dodgy CGI, loved it! Hadn't seen it in close to 15 years if not more.

https://bsplibrary.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/galaxy-quest.png

Saturday session with my kids, "Mrs. Doubtfire". Now, that is an emotional laugh out loud movie. Kids loved it, although the youngest was a bit freaked out about the appearance changes. Still, funny as all hell, grinning like a Dumbo all the time in expectation of what's about to happen. Even though I hadn't watched it also in ~15 years, memory was fresh (must have been the 20 odd times I watched it before, everytime a re-run came on the cable). Absolutely fantastic movie.

https://www.theatermania.com/dyn/photos/theatermania/v1finw1200x0y0w1200h1892/the-original-mrs-doubtfire-movie-poster-139068.jpg

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Previous days off, I watched "Jack Reacher" and on my last days off, I watched "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back", both on Bluray. I really enjoyed the first one but was a bit ho hum about the second. A decent script and story for a TV show but didn't stack up in a movie for mine.

Jack Reacher: 2-Movie Collection on Blu-ray image

Watching Blinded by the Light right now and I'm enjoying it more than I expected.

It's about a Pakistani-Brit, who discovers the music of Bruce Springsteen and it helps him overcome his confidence and other issues, many that Pakistanis faced in 1980s England. It also appeals to him, as he is a budding writer.

It's a bit predictable and generic, but still pretty good. It's given me a new appreciation of Springsteen too, who I've only ever had a passing interest in prior to this.

It makes me want to listen to more of his work.

• Like 1

Hi All,

On 18/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, stevoz said:

Previous days off, I watched "Jack Reacher" and on my last days off, I watched "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back", both on Bluray. I really enjoyed the first one but was a bit ho hum about the second. A decent script and story for a TV show but didn't stack up in a movie for mine.

The first problem is Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, who in the books is more Dwayne Johnson  or Alexander Skarsgård in height / build (190cm+), and they were only worthy of Telemovie status.

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I watched the bluray of 'Blood Diamond', a movie that's been sitting unwatched in my movie bookcase for years. I'm glad I finally picked it.....what a great film!

A real eye opener on what happens when self serving 'liberators' enter your little African villiage and the recruitment of child soldiers.....scenarios that have been repeated hundreds of times over many decades of this continents history. It's not pretty.....

Blood Diamond - Platinum Collection | Blu-ray | In-Stock - Buy Now | at  Mighty Ape Australia

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yes Blood Diamond is a great film. I've seen it several times. DiCaprio is at his best. Dunno how accurate it is but love the accent. Djimon Hounsou delivers a powerful performance too.

A well told story full of emotion, intensity and serious real world issues. One of my top 50 of all time for sure.

• Like 2

I watched Return of the Jedi UHD on "the big screen" the other night. 

I had a little buyer's remorse when I picked up the "original" trilogy a while back. I was a big fan years ago and still have lots of merch, and even bought figures in the last few years, but my love for Star Wars has waned over recent years. Perhaps due to all the following movies diluting their impact somewhat.

Anyway, it came back some after watching 4,5 & 6 in 4K. The image quality and Atmos bring a new dimension to familiar, loved characters and stories. 

I was in awe of how good Jabba looks lol. I mean everything looks great, but he and his main guy look amazing compared to my memory of the version where they refurbed them.

There were scenes with some gloriously thunderous bass too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a vast collection of Blurays and DVD's, a lot of which have remained unwatched for different reasons, so I have embarked on a 'check out the ignored movies' quest. 

Last days off, I pulled out the bluray of 'Three Billbords Outside Ebbing, Missouri'. I had avoided this many times as I wasn't in the mood for what I thought from the trailers was a harrowing drama that would test my emotions to the limit.....what I got was a brilliant black comedy, that while extremely dramatic in parts, was a fantastic study in personalities and the error of judging people before really knowing them. What a rewarding film this was, chock full of great performances, none better than Frances McDormand in the lead role. Really really great movie!

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri | DVD | BIG W

Last night I grabbed "Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World" (can't quite believe it was made 17 years ago!)......often rejected purely because of it's running time while knowing all along that it would be an entertaining view. Well, I loved it! What a great insight into life on the high seas in that time.....and what a soundtrack. Totally immersive with cracking sub bass and surround activity. Puts you right in the middle of everything! Great rollicking story with action aplenty and wonderful direction from our own Peter Weir. 

Image for post

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I have a vast collection of Blurays and DVD's, a lot of which have remained unwatched for different reasons, so I have embarked on a 'check out the ignored movies' quest. 

Last days off, I pulled out the bluray of 'Three Billbords Outside Ebbing, Missouri'. I had avoided this many times as I wasn't in the mood for what I thought from the trailers was a harrowing drama that would test my emotions to the limit.....what I got was a brilliant black comedy, that while extremely dramatic in parts, was a fantastic study in personalities and the error of judging people before really knowing them. What a rewarding film this was, chock full of great performances, none better than Frances McDormand in the lead role. Really really great

truly great movie

best I’ve seen in years

You are obviously more sophisticated than I thought @stevoz?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevoz said:

<snips>I pulled out the bluray of 'Three Billbords Outside Ebbing, Missouri'. I had avoided this many times as I wasn't in the mood for what I thought from the trailers was a harrowing drama that would test my emotions to the limit.....what I got was a brilliant black comedy, that while extremely dramatic in parts, was a fantastic study in personalities and the error of judging people before really knowing them. What a rewarding film this was, chock full of great performances, none better than Frances McDormand in the lead role. Really really great movie!

Absolutely agree with this. I watched it just over a year ago and raved to my friends for weeks afterwards. Multiple awards. Easily one of my "all time best".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevoz said:

Last days off, I pulled out the bluray of 'Three Billbords Outside Ebbing, Missouri'. I had avoided this many times as I wasn't in the mood for what I thought from the trailers was a harrowing drama that would test my emotions to the limit.....what I got was a brilliant black comedy, that while extremely dramatic in parts, was a fantastic study in personalities and the error of judging people before really knowing them. What a rewarding film this was, chock full of great performances, none better than Frances McDormand in the lead role. Really really great movie!

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri | DVD | BIG W

Last night I grabbed "Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World" (can't quite believe it was made 17 years ago!)......often rejected purely because of it's running time while knowing all along that it would be an entertaining view. Well, I loved it! What a great insight into life on the high seas in that time.....and what a soundtrack. Totally immersive with cracking sub bass and surround activity. Puts you right in the middle of everything! Great rollicking story with action aplenty and wonderful direction from our own Peter Weir. 

Image for post

Was avoiding it for the very same reason, time to watch it than ?

• Like 1

Tonight I continued my 'check out the ignored movies'  quest and dragged out 'The Constant Gardener' bluray.....a victim of my recent years penchant for blockbuster escapism and exploiting my (IMO) kickass HT system......"I must be blowing my head off with HD sonic action to justify this power!!'.B).....wrong.

From reviews, I know I will enjoy these 'ignored' movies which is why I bought them in the first place but have ignored them for years nonetheless. Of course I have made a mistake......as expected, The Constant Gardener was a treat and everything the glowing reviews on it's release had promised.

Yet another gripping expose on how the continent of Africa is exploited by Western capitalist interests and the pain and suffering of that continents people that follows, in much the same way as 'Blood Diamond' beautifully exposed......this time with Big Pharma and politicians as the villains replacing diamond traders and their local 'militia' cohorts in the evil of greed. Great performances, superb direction and an ultimately tragic but rewarding story.....beautifully told.

The Constant Gardener Blu-ray

• Like 1

On 28/12/2020 at 11:32 AM, kukynas said:

Was avoiding it for the very same reason, time to watch it than ?

so watched it and didn’t feel like it’s my cup of tea, not bad but I was hoping for more, than I switched to 

image.thumb.jpeg.70297e1bd89bf32806d1cda6bc052427.jpeg

oh boy, completely different animal, so intense, it sucked me into to story completely 

• Like 1

I got my copy of "Tenet" from JB hifi yesterday at 30% off. Bargain!

And I watched it again, last night. As much as I love the cinema experience, last time I went it was too loud and the music was overpowering the dialogue. And the dialogue is something you must follow because it is a movie that makes your brain hurt, in a good way. Damn it's complex!

The BluRay mix is well balanced, you get this "Dark Knight" vibe from the music in a completely different setting. The scenes change between IMAX and 16:9 format whenever Mr. Nolan deemed it necessary, well done. If there's any CGI, it's extremely well done, but it looks very much like an analogue effects type of film. Think "Lethal Weapon" or "Die Hard" but with class. Or James Bond for that matter... the non CGI ones.

I'll have to rest it now for a few months and re-watch it again more concentrated. It really is that difficult to follow.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

On 27/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

The first problem is Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, who in the books is more Dwayne Johnson  or Alexander Skarsgård in height / build (190cm+), and they were only worthy of Telemovie status.

JJ

Bit harsh..but true 

Last night I continued my quest to 'watch ignored movies' from my collection and pulled out "Balibo" on bluray.  Really enjoyed this, it brought back memories of my teens and filled in many gaps that the scant media reports from that time couldn't.....despite the fine and brave efforts from the five journalists in question here (well six actually, if you include Roger East, played by La Paglia). A powerful and well produced film whose horrors and tragic ending are tempered by East Timor's rightful liberation in the late 90's.

Balibo (2009) - IMDb

• Like 1