Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Watched about 15 min of Joker a couple of days ago, just wasn't in the right mood for dark and uncomfortable.  Engaging nonetheless, looking forward to the challenge when the time is right.  I don't know anything about this movie, except Joaquin's in it, and it's based on a Batman character.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to watch this movie since it came out but only watched it the other day round a mate's place.

Was very good!

Had me teary eyed all the way through.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 8:32 PM, muon* said:

Wanted to watch this movie since it came out but only watched it the other day round a mate's place.

Was very good!

Had me teary eyed all the way through.

G'day Ian.

I also watched this recently and loved it.  Based on a true story and the real dude had a close connection with making the film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up at the local Op Shop yesterday for $1.

24 Hour Party People.

1972753893_24HourPartyPeople-Copy750.jpg.e4456340aa871d9801351dbf80fb7e18.jpg

Info from the cover...

Tony Wilson:  a young Cambridge graduate and TV presenter, inspired by the Sex Pistols' first Manchester gig, founds Factory Records and the Hacienda nightclub.  The bands he signs include:  Joy Division ( New Order ) and the Happy Mondays, while the Hacienda transforms Manchester into 'Madchester' - the Place to be.

All this is built on Wilson's anarchic business philosophy:  no contracts, just passion, music and hedonism - if the bands don't like it they are free to leave.  No-one leaves, but with mounting debts and hangovers rocketing, things do get completely out of hand.

Steve Coogan is perfectly cast as Wilson, struggling to hold it together in a world of vice and angst-ridden geniuses, in this brilliantly sustained portrait of the Manchester scene from Director Michael Winterbottom.

I have never heard of this movie and picked it up because of Steve Coogan.

I really enjoyed the movie and the bonus disc with some interviews from the real life characters.

Featuring the music of Joy Division ( I never knew where this name came from ), New Order, Happy Mondays, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks and The Clash.

Also featuring a cameo by Simon Pegg and a great performance by Andy Serkis as music producer.

• Like 4

IMHO this movie epitomizes the DEATH of music as we [circa 60's-70's LP buying public]

It introduced a drug infilled [MDA] effect crowd, where the music was no longer LIVE.

The Hacienda Club in Manchester, where the DJ became a easy king pin [and resultant Ecstasy sales]  resulted in the loss of live entertainment.

A lot to answer to.

16 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Call of the wild , good solid old fashioned kinda movie 

nice scenery, Harrison ford playing a grumpy old man 

good fun 

How did you find the fully CGI dog? Looks a bit 'cartoony' in the trailer to me.

After sort of giving up on the Fast and Furious franchise after the fourth one, I decided to give it another shot. Fast 5 on Bluray tonight......I enjoyed it.....I like cars and action but had to laugh at it's stupidity at times.....well, a lot of times.?

In the end, it's a thumbs up.....why, even at my age, with enough scocth and scoobs, I can be still be a teenager.?

https://cache.osta.ee/iv2/auctions/1_20_49674863.jpg

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Last night I watched Fast and Furious 6 extended cut....more absurd mayhem and implausibilities but still entertaining just the same. I must say it was a cracker of a soundtrack, giving the sub and rears a thorough workout. Glorious stuff!✊

https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/product_images/d/fastfurious6__25092.jpg

As implausible as they get, F&F movies are always good fun. I did enjoy their "Hobbs and Shaw" spin-off, also implausible as hell, yet very entertaining.

Seriously, if you're about to watch F&F Nr. X you're not expecting much to think about.

Cheers,

Alberto

17 hours ago, betocool said:

As implausible as they get, F&F movies are always good fun. I did enjoy their "Hobbs and Shaw" spin-off, also implausible as hell, yet very entertaining.

Seriously, if you're about to watch F&F Nr. X you're not expecting much to think about.

Cheers,

Alberto

Very true Alberto.....and I once again put my brain away last night and enjoyed Furious 7!?

Again, a kickarse soundtrack and lots of high action silliness.....fantastic stuff!?

https://d3fa68hw0m2vcc.cloudfront.net/318/116234694.jpeg

Hobbs and Shaw is next on my list.?

Edited by stevoz

Good Omens on Amazon Prime.

https://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Good-Omens-1.jpg

I watched it first on a plane trip between Sydney and Santiago. I had time, so, why not?

Now I'm rewatching it in HD with good quality sound. It's one of my favourite shows from the last few years, easy. David Tennant as a demon is great, reminiscent of Billy Mack, the rocker played by Bill Nighy on Love Actually, the music overall is superb, Queen pops up here and there (plus their influence on the music as well) and the story is very entertaining.

A high quality production, the English at their best. Worth your time.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Watched "Upgrade" on bluray last night......had a good feeling about this movie after seeing the trailer but was also thinking 'is this a poor mans Venom?' How wrong that was.....it turns out Venom was a poor man's Upgrade. The other weird thing about these two movies that somewhat link them is they star near dopplegangers.....Tom Hardy in Venom and Logan Marshall Green in Upgrade. Written and directed by Australia's Leigh Whannell (and made at Docklands Studios in Melbourne), this movie is a complete blast with some very clever plots twists and action wise, it pack a real punch! I loved it......Whannell is a clever guy indeed.....makes me want to watch his latest, "The Invisible Man".

• Like 2

Last weekend I watched "Rendition" (can't believe this actually came out 13 years ago).....very good but I got a bit confused with the plot time continuum......when the opening scene (a suicide bombing) repeats itself at the end. Pretty much nothing is done to make you realise that everything that follows this opening scene is actually leading up to the same attack. Left me thinking WTF? A major flaw in an otherwise powerful, gripping film.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91%2BcvK71CRL._SL1500_.jpg

I recently watched Fallet (the Case) on Netflix. According to reviews, it is a Swedish comedy-drama television series, a spoof on the Nordic noir detective genre.

Thinking it was a serious drama, I was a little bemused by the  jokes, at times a series of running jokes.

Well worth a watch, or maybe a wad of snus.

Fallet.jpg.58809229371353f05aeee6c64268d012.jpg

• Like 1