Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

Gave Event Horizon another run. Probably been a couple of years since the last outing. Movie still provokes some sort of visceral reaction despite the flaws in the plot.

Seems to leave a lasting impression on most. Genuinely creepy to the point the gory bits are a welcome relief!

EDIT

I probably wrote near the same thing in this thread last time I watched it [emoji23]

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pieface said:

Gave Event Horizon another run. Probably been a couple of years since the last outing. Movie still provokes some sort of visceral reaction despite the flaws in the plot.

Seems to leave a lasting impression on most. Genuinely creepy to the point the gory bits are a welcome relief!

EDIT

I probably wrote near the same thing in this thread last time I watched it emoji23.png

It certainly had a lasting impression on me.

• Like 1

Watched an English TV movie from 1984 called Threads. Small budget, rudimentary special effects but hugely powerful and very frightening. It concerns the effects of a nuclear attack on the city of Sheffield. A stunning achievement. Very bleak and sobering. This is a masterpiece.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, unclemack said:

Watched an English TV movie from 1984 called Threads. Small budget, rudimentary special effects but hugely powerful and very frightening. It concerns the effects of a nuclear attack on the city of Sheffield. A stunning achievement. Very bleak and sobering. This is a masterpiece.

That's an excellent film. Can I ask how you watched it? I've been hoping it would be put up on You Tube for years but have only come across clips. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, unclemack said:

Had to do it by nefarious means unfortunately.

No worries. I was just about to edit my post to say I found it on Ebay for $26 odd and I remember it being so good that it's one I'll watch again and again so I've bought it. Glad I saw your post to remind me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watched 'Guardians of the Galaxy' bluray last night......a bit of a blast with great visuals and soundtrack and a rollicking story. Marvel gets it right more often than not.?

Certainly more than DC do......I'll be giving 'Aquaman' a wide berth from what I've read.?

Edited by stevoz

On 06/07/2008 at 9:23 PM, Jake said:

I thought it about time we had a Currently Spinning for movies, as I just dont feel right adulterating the Currently Spinning thread with movies.

And having just watched a modern classic what better time than to start now?

Tonight's viewing was the Final Director's Cut of Blade Runner. A dark tale of a future world, where replicants are so real they learn emotions,... "

I watched the spin off "Blade Runner 2049" in 4K on PJ

A well worthy follow up with Ryan Gosling as the blade

A sensational soundtrack, music by "Hans Zimmer & Ben Wallfisch"

I had my 2 x twin 10" triangle subs pulsing in creamy overdrive ..... 

triangle.jpg

Watched 'Pacific Rim - Uprising' last night on bluray (what else) and while I sort of enjoyed it (whiskey and dope helped plus a good soundtrack), I think I might be tiring of big dumb ass action blockbusters......two stars......sigh.?

Edited by stevoz

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched 'Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2'. As good as the first....my faith in blockbusters has been restored.....as long as they're clever, as this was and don 't take themselves too seriously, as Marvel seem to do well (except for Venom and I say that sight unseen?). Guardians Vol. 2.....4 stars!?

• 2 weeks later...

I watched "Eight Days A Week" last night, the Ron Howard Beatles doco about their touring years.

It was great! There was a little movement effect added to image stills that made the thing look surreal in a cool way. And man, those guys could perform! Even using the basic equipment they had back in the day.

Having read the "Anthology" book not too long ago, this was more of a quick refresher... not much new really, but some surprising shots still. Watch out for the Sigourney Weaver bit, that was one of those "heylookitthat" moments.

Now, just wait for Peter Jackson's "Let it be / Lord of the Ringos" restoration. I might have a look at Scorsese's Harrison flick.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Watched 'Argo' for the first time a few nights ago and I enjoyed it a lot. An audacious plan that worked (just!) and the story is nicely directed by Affleck into a taught and tense affair. Four stars.

Ha! Watched it again a few nights ago just because I remembered I'd forgotten a lot about it! Real cool movie indeed, very nice depiction of the '80s. Apparently the real story was a bit more boring than the movie one, so they took some artistic liberties. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it a lot.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

In this order:

The Post (Steven Spielberg)

All The President's Men (Alan J. Pakula)

Spotlight (Tom McCarthy).

All three above excellent journalism movies. You could almost consider them a trilogy, as they share a few elements (which I didn't know about). The second one really starts off where the first one left off.

Not edge-of-your-seat stuff, but all of them very good.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

Mile 22 - B class action movie, shallow and except few action scenes pretty boring, once was enough...

The Predator (2018) - shite, very stupid dialogs with less than average actors performance, other than that too much blood for my taste, may be if Chuck Norris's invited it could have been bit more funny 

G'day everyone.  My first movie post on this thread.

I have been so absorbed by my music for the last year or two, that movies have taken a bit of a back seat.  Last night I had a little weed and watched this Blu-ray for the first time...

845504640_ReadyPlayerOne.jpg.2b6fa1a352c121169d8968213c664302.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyable movie, great visuals and acting, some funny stuff and food for thought about our future.  I liked it so much I had an 'erbal breakfast (very rare these days), and watched it again this morning.

Cheers.

Ant.

• Like 1