Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

On 12/9/2017 at 12:06 AM, Tweaky said:

I can only put this down to the general viewing public gradually becoming more stupid with each generation.... The 'Dumb Down' syndrome

Hi,

Just as portrayed in the movie "Idiocricy"

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Love 1

Idiocracy was a fabulous idea for a film, it's a shame that they made it with the future audience in mind.

Evolution doesn't reward the strongest or fastest, it rewards those that are 'fittest for the environment

This is a knockout piece of cinema.  Dialogue dense and quickly moving, it will actually need a second viewing to catch all the scathing one liners.

Certainly coining the term " Boyfriends of Christ"  alone should get it a BAFTA.

Very high production values and a suburb cast, including our own George Brandis in his debut acting role - he is marvellous as the Chief of Secret Police : now there's a bit of type casting?.

No attempts whatsoever to pull off dodgy Ruskie accents- each actor sticks to their own.

This is the blackest satire I can immediately recall. Right up there with "Dr. Strangelove" 

I kept having thoughts about our own inane self-serving pollies as I watched this.

Billy.

image.jpeg

Edited by Zen Mister
Typo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went last night to:

Ready Player One

A blast from the past, mixed with the highest CGI possible. I have to admit, I struggle nowadays with fast-paced movies in the cinema, as I fail to catch some details, however, the movie was for me pure joy. It caters very well to the mid 40's generation, lots of trivia and references to movies from the 70's and 80's. The "Stephen King*" bit is something to watch out for, I reckon it was one of the best bits of the movie, without spoiling it for anyone.

Curiously, this movie works for me more as a Robert Zemeckis movie (even a bit of a tribute) than Steven Spielberg, and the main reason for it is that it's been scored by Alan Silvestri, not John Williams.

Probably not a movie for all people, but if you grew up or where a young teenager in the 80's, this might brink back more than a few memories and lots of laughs.

Cheers,

Alberto

* Name changed to avoid possible spoilers

• Like 1

Watched 'Alien: Covenent' blu-ray a couple of nights ago. Enjoyed it a lot as a movie, great soundtrack, great effects, ok story. As a follow up to 'Prometheus', it seemed a little detatched stylistically but tied in eventually. I was a little disappointed with the 'explanation' of the aliens existence but hey, it was interesting enough and let's face it, it's yet another warning of the dangers of AI........:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

On 02/06/2018 at 2:18 AM, kukynas said:

Tomb Raider - maybe it just me but I had much bigger expectation than this, such a shame...oh well, can't be sunny every day   

It's not just you. I had hgher hopes.

On 02/06/2018 at 2:18 AM, kukynas said:

Tomb Raider - maybe it just me but I had much bigger expectation than this, such a shame...oh well, can't be sunny every day   

Watched last night, hated it. Thought it was atrocious

Tomb Raider for millenials

1 hour ago, Sime said:

She looks good at least ?

that's about it, I can imagine better actress in her role...but that applies equally for majority of the actors in this movie, if it's a pilot for upcoming series than I would say OK but for blockbuster type movie? not really...

only the second Wes Anderson film I've seen. I feel like I've been missing out as I thought it was brilliant.

Love his movies. If you like his quirks and weird sense of humour you’ll like the rest.

Bests of the bunch are probably The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom and The Royal Tenanbaum.

Saw Isle of Dogs recently. Very good too but I prefer The Fantastic Mr. Fox a lot more.