Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

I was in the kitchen cookng Saturday night while the missus was watching the start of Polar Express on TV. The whole kitchen started rumbling with the sounds-feel of the subwoofers doing their thing. Holy crap it was GOOD! HD channel 90 in 5.1 ; some of the loudest bass I've heard for a long time.

• Like 1

Watched "The Thing" on Sunday evening (HD-DVD). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

I first saw it when it came out in 1982 and remembered it fondly so I got it on HD.

I really enjoyed it again, even when I knew what the ending was.

PQ isn't the greatest HD transfer. all the dark scenes were BLACK. I presume SD is comparable.

Not a waste of time. :)

Watched a couple of DVD's on the weekend.

First was

200px-Death_at_a_funeral.jpg

Average film - some laughs, good for a rainy quiet weekend. Stars Matthew Macfayden and Keeley Hawes from Spooks and Alan Tudyk from Firefly and Serenity ( a SciFi buff and you don't know these two? - shame shame shame!).

Second film was

200px-Pan%27s_Labyrinth.jpg

Not what I expected and definately not for the kiddies. Set in 1944 spain during the occupation and tells of a girl and her mother's survival of the brutality of a german officer. All in Spanish with English subtitles. Good story and effects. Gets the NFA thumps up.

NFA

NFA I loved Pans - what a rush of a film to watch - geat imagination to produce that film!

We watcheed Puberty Blues last night. Itsa great film even given its small budget, basic actors and scrathy film quality. (and prett bad sound track) but it all works. Been enjoyingh wataching some old 70's early 80's flicks just to look at furtniture styles, cars, bathers styles (girls only!) -language, smoking, no mobiles etc etc.

This film stnads the test of time as a true comentary on youth. Its pretty scary watching it when I have a 9 year old daughter and thinking the "girls" that wrote the book where only 15!! and it was based on their own experiences.

If you have never seen it - suggest you have a look one day - OK its no master film but worth a lazy watch just for the historic value and an aussie culture that we have moved on from in some ways but perhaps yearn for still?

• 3 weeks later...

Board senseless on boxing day.

Watched :Quatem of Solace,The day the earth stood still,Ghost town,Mongol,Religulous.

Still to watch :Revolution Road,Slumdog Millionaire,Bottleshock and about a dozen others

I love this time of year.

I get all the screeners for the Acadamy Awards.

I'm still going to vote for "In Bruges" which I thought was one of the best movies apart from "The Wrestler"....that will win best actor for Mickey Rourke......amazing.

I must admit,if best performance .......In Doubt ....Streep and co.....Nails you to your seat,but not a pleasant movie.

Edited by Tweaky

Last night watched Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" on HD

Enjoyed it a lot, again.

My teenage boys were so-so about it.

I saw it at the movies when it first came out 21 years ago.

No real ending. A bit like the Vietnam war...

Now I want to catch up with Platoon again.

Anyone got Platoon on HD-DVD?

MrHP

Loved it when I first saw it a month and a bit ago. As an 18 year old, I don't think it has aged.

Love the Kubrick films.

My favorite movie titles.

SUNSHINE

Tagline: "In a time of revolution, in a family torn by tradition one man was consumed by love."

Length: 179 minutes

MPAA Rating: R for strong sexuality, and for violence, language and nudity

http://homevideo.about.com/library/blpick051701a.htm

BLACK BOOK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Book_(film)

HARRISON’S FLOWERS

http://www.harrisons-flowers.com/

THE KILLING FIELDS

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087553/

Whilst ripping movies for my new streaming toys I came across one that I hadn't watched in quite a while.

It was great watching this movie again.

Hi

Ah Audie Murphy - Saturday Matinees at the old Star theatre- this used to be my favourite movie - as a kid I saw it almost as many times as 'The Girl can't help it', 'King Creole' and 'Go Johnny Go'.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

G'day,

Been watching 'Men Behaving Badly' TV series1 on dvd and have series2 still to watch. A great laugh with Martin Clues.

I once borrowed the "Men Behaving Badly" DVDs from the local library and had a marathon viewing of all 6 or 7 series. The first series is okay, but it's much better when Dermot is replaced by Tony (Neil Morrisey) from series 2 onwards. A brilliant show, IMHO, perfectly capturing the perpetually adolescent male. There was a US version that was predictably woeful.

Another UK comedy to watch is "Coupling". Again, I borrowed the DVDs for for another marathon viewing. A brilliant show, IMHO, like a way more risque (and way more funnier) "Friends". I still use choice quotes from this show in general conversation. Again, there was a US version that was predictably woeful.

--Geoff

• Like 1

A few weeks ago after purchasing it, watched '1408' on BR.

Somewhat of a "hit and miss" affair for my mind, but having not read the book i'd imagine someone else might have an understanding of the faithfulness of the novel-to-film transfer.

Much of a so-so performance when it comes to PQ/SQ, so give this one a rent if interested.

Hi

saw a couple of decent feelgood movies in the last couple of days:

Slumdog millionaire - good cast, great story, nice balance of gritty Indian realism and humour.

Grow your own - one of those gentle understated movies the Brits are so good at - some good laughs, but with a real social message.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Watched "Wanted" on BD the other day.Great PQ/AQ.

Jolie and Freeman;note:must buy Angie a meal.

Most enjoyable action flick for ages.

Zero realism but quite a surprise amongst the fodder of late.

• Like 1

Watched Rolling Stones "Shine the Light" (SD) on the PJ last night

It was great on the big screen

For SD I thought the PQ was VERY good

I enjoyed it, but I'm a Stones nutter. :P

Hi

Some of my Stones-freak friends weren't that impressed, so I hadn't bothered about it, but on your say so I'll give it a try.

Cheers

mick

• Like 1

I just received a copy of this movie from a friend, and thought I'd watch it this morning.

What a fabulous movie & story.

I don't want to spoil it for anybody (its a pretty new movie) except to say that Ali Larter is the most gorgeous woman I've seen on celluloid, period !!

http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2006_crazy_003.html (a teaser if anybody's interested)

I'd be interested in opinions of SNA'ers who may have seen it already.

Russ.

Edited by cableconnoisseur
Addendum

Channel surfing on Foxtel and stumbled upon the beginning of "Notting Hill" on TV1 channel. Had no intention of watching it again. Stupid movie but just wanted to see that great scene where daft Hugh Grant takes Julia Roberts to his sister's birthday party. Very funny scene. Then I remembered how I saw that blue door in Notting Hill some years ago and I started to remember how good the soundtrack was. Just watch a bit more - hear a few more songs.

Needless to say, I sat there till the end. ;)

Cheers

wolster

The wife and I've just finished watching 'Second Hand Wedding'

22477.jpeg

This IMO is a great relaxing movie, tending more to the 'Chick Flick' but a nice movie with no swearing, sex scenes or nudity. We both thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and it's a pity we didn't have it before the daughters wedding. :) (Sorry in house joke, just some similarities)

There are a few nice songs on the soundtrack, and one group took my fancy, so I've ordered a couple of their CD's to see what they're like.

cattlestops.jpgcattlestops2.jpg

There are no high profile actors that I'm aware of, other than John Rowles who is still going strong.

voiceofalegend1.jpg

Been watching 'Men Behaving Badly' TV series1 on dvd and have series2 still to watch. A great laugh with Martin Clues.

BIG FAN of Clunes Totally underated talent IMHO. Another series you might be interested in Grumps which clunes stars is "Doc Martin" He certainly plays a role you don't expect.

Another movie of his if you can track down a copy "Cheers and Tears" very funny.

Another series that I don't think has been mentioned is "Band of Brothers" a Tom Hanks, Speilberg no Expense spared Production. Extremely good value for money now days at under $50 bucks, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

BIG FAN of Clunes Totally underated talent IMHO. Another series you might be interested in Grumps which clunes stars is "Doc Martin" He certainly plays a role you don't expect.

Another movie of his if you can track down a copy "Cheers and Tears" very funny.

Another series that I don't think has been mentioned is "Band of Brothers" a Tom Hanks, Speilberg no Expense spared Production. Extremely good value for money now days at under $50 bucks, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

G'day Mick, Georgina and i are fans of Doc Martin and thats what reminded us of Men behaving and why we bought the DVD's. We only have seasons 1-2 and the last series.

$50 for Band of brothers! I'll have to keep my eye out for that. I borrowed the DVD's of B of B from a friend who suggested it. I didn't see it on TV but it was great on DVD

• Like 1