Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

No Country For Old Men

As usual the Coen brothers have served up a gripping thriller of a flic. Although as usual the hype around this movie has exceeded the film's actual worth IMO. Yes, I enjoyed it, but I have enjoyed other Coen brother movies even more.

Still, it kept us off the streets last night. :mad:

[ATTACH]3097[/ATTACH]

Watched 'The Good Shepard' on Saturday night on my new big screen. *grins*

I really enjoyed this cold-war thriller.

My wife didn't totally get it. Consumed too many bubbles I expect.

Ya gotta pay attention.

I like fims like that.

Recommended.

Watched 'The Good Shepard' on Saturday night on my new big screen. *grins*

I really enjoyed this cold-war thriller.

My wife didn't totally get it. Consumed too many bubbles I expect.

Ya gotta pay attention.

I like fims like that.

Recommended.

Must have missed something MrHP. Which new big screen would that be then?

:mad:

Got pics?

We need Pics!!

Sorry guys. It's been up for a couple of weeks, with TonyC's expert assistance.

I purchased a Benq W5000 DLP projector & a 115" scope screen.

Still not tweaked.

Very happy with it.

MrVeryHP

very nice mate,

Love the screen. Hate the fact that I don't have the space to do this.

Cheers

M

Still not tweaked.

Very happy with it.

MrVeryHP

Still not tweaked.

Very happy with it.

MrVeryHP

Thanks for the pics HP! Great setup there. Looks like the Evo screen thingy?

I will not mention the B... word, your secret is safe with me. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jake

Oops and you dobbed Tony C in as well - he wont live that down.

Looks great and i would love to come and visit one day if i ever get to Melobourne (as he politley invites himself to every SNA members house in Austarlia)

Must be great fun watching such a huge screen. Whats the distance back to seating?

Also talking of Tony C I have not seen him posting for a while am I missing his posts or has he done his back in lugging those big yank speakers of his around. tell him to get his arse back on SNA when you see him next we miss the IQ levels around here.

Thanks guys

The speakers are Bose 901 series IV (8 ohms) circa 1980

I have had these since almost new (my brother bought them new)

I had the foams replaced a few years ago; all 18 drivers.

The 1st real passive surround sound speaker system, yada, yada, yada.

I find them very very good for the home theatre.

I mostly use the Osborne Interludes for stereo. I pull them away from the wall ~1metre.

Jake

The screen is a 115" scope evo 3D from Rich @ Oz theatre.

Seating is 4m back.

Andy

Let's just say that TonyC was 'polite' when he saw my very modest system.

He's still around weaving his magic.

WC

I have Batman Begins on HD-DVD. Been saving it up to watch on the big screen.

Had a small GtG recently.

I'll book in another GtG when the weather warms up a bit.

MrHP

Ya know we are only stirring about the Bose - I am sure most of us have either got a secret pair we don't talk about or desire to own a pair. I came close to getting a really old pair at the dump one day but one of the workers beat me to it. (got to say they would have been some 70's model and they really looked nice)

G'day,

Saw "The Dark Knight" yesterday on the 25m at Southbank. Quite a long film (almost three hours) and overall I thought it was good. A bit of a mess, but interesting.

Lots of stunts, explosions and car chases as expected (although the car chase scenes were a bit badly edited IMHO as I couldn't quite understand what was going on some of the time).

But despite that the film was more psychological than yer normal comic adaptations, and it seems to me that the film focused less on Batman than on the Joker and Harvey Dent (the new DA). Bruce Wayne/Batman seemed to be a supporting character to move along the story of the DA and the Joker.

And the Joker is not just an evil dude in it for money -- he is a sadist (watch for the "I'm gonna make this pencil disappear" bit), intent on revealing the beast within as much as Batman wants to believe in the goodness of the people. Heath Ledger's performance is amazing here.

But "The Dark Knight" is still a comic book adaptation, and Batman's voice is still silly IMHO, and it seemed jarring to me that Gotham was obviously filmed in Chicago. And stylistically the movie is a bit of a mess: stuff happens between scenes and we're told later who but not how (the first rule of movies is "show don't tell"), and some of Batman's new gadgets seem like cheating to me.

One thumb up.

--Geoff

• Like 1

Dark Knight- 7/10

The dialogue left the younger member of the audience bored and there was too much of it between action scenes.

As Geoff remarked- a bit of a mess

Could have done with some editing and reduced it to more "bang for your buck"

An action film-noir has been done better-"sin city" for one

Watched "into the wild"

I really enjoyed it.

Graduate gives away all his posessions to go live solo in the wild in Alaska.

Very well done, I thought.

Hi MrHP. I finally watched this today. I've been listening to the Eddie Vedder CD soundtrack for some months and love it. The movie pretty much blew me away and I appreciate the music even more now. The best movie I have seen for quite a while.

I third the "into the wild" comments and a most excellent soundtrack from mr Ed

I also third the dark knight comments. Heath's performance is (for me) worth the price of admission alone.

It even inspired me to watch Batman Begins again last night (seen this one a number of times but last night was first in Hi Def).

I have also recently watched:

The Matador - fairly average

Wolf Creek - Scary

Aeon Flux - Charlise is hot

Darkman - where the comic book adaptions started

Feast - funny horror movie with Henry Rollins cameo

Harsh Times - Christian Bale movie (straight to video for a reason?)

Happy to provide more in depth reviews if anyone is interested in a particular title

Hi MrHP. I finally watched this today. I've been listening to the Eddie Vedder CD soundtrack for some months and love it. The movie pretty much blew me away and I appreciate the music even more now. The best movie I have seen for quite a while.

G'day Luckydog & Waylander

I'm surprised this film seemed to "slip under the radar" AFAIK.

This is one of those films where days later I 'm still thinking about it.

That doesn't happen often enough in these times of instant gratification.

The family is very much enjoying films on the 'big screen @ home'; even if it is in our lounge room.

There wasn't much of a push/promotion for the film [into the Wild] per se like your blockbuster titles, but it was very easily overlooked and polarised some viewers.

Anyways, watched 2001: Space Odyssey on Blu-Ray last night. I'd imagine most if not everyone here has seen it before, but its execution is still unique to this day in my opinion. Fairly good quality too far a restored 40 year old film.

I’m going to do my bit for community service here and issue a warning.

Don’t, whatever you do, watch "The Happening" starring Mark Wahlberg.

Take your mother-in-law skinny dipping, get a prostate check (even if you don't have one!), stick a pencil in your eye - do something, anything, other than sit down to view this film.

It’s a NO film. No plot, no script, no acting, no direction, no cinematography, no continuity, no involvement, no plausibility, no......

The only point that held any interest for me was seeing how many different shades of blue/grey, of Zooey Deschanel’s eyes, were created. There’s loads of puppy eye shots.

Horrid film.

Trust me, you will thank me for saving 1hour 35 minutes of your life from being wasted.

NFA

G'day,

Saw "Wanted" on the big screen at Southbank this arvo ... a big dumb action flick that is the bastard child of The Matrix, Three Kings, Tarantino, and (bizarrely) Office Space.

I had no idea what this film was about when I entered the cinema, but I had so many WTF? moments that I still don't know what it was all about. Apparently based on a comic book.

Not bad for $6. YMMV.

This evening I watched "Walk Hard - The Dewey Cox Story", and chortled aplenty. I'm guessing that I should have previously seen Walk The Line and Ray to appreciate this faux music biopic more fully, but funny stuff regardless as John C. Reilly traces a career that touches on Johhny Cash, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, etc.

Loved the songs, too: "In my dreams you're blowing me ... ... ... some kisses".

--Geoff

• Like 1