Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

I thought it about time we had a Currently Spinning for movies, as I just dont feel right adulterating the Currently Spinning thread with movies.

And having just watched a modern classic what better time than to start now?

Tonight's viewing was the Final Director's Cut of Blade Runner. A dark tale of a future world, where replicants are so real they learn emotions, and good old Harry Ford has the job of taking out the dodgy ones.

Ive seen it before and been non-plussed, but now we have the PJ setup again the movie makes a whole lot more sense, especially when the viewing screen is 3m across.

Darryl Hannah's best role I reckon, especially the writhing dying bit.:D

Also of note was Wiliam Sanderson as JF Sebastion, playing a character he later came to perfect as EB Farnum in Deadwood.

[ATTACH]2863[/ATTACH]

• Like 2

Ah, i should get off my butt and watch this. I got the 5 disk bluray pack from amazon but haven't watched it yet. I hear its a classic.

I thought it about time we had a Currently Spinning for movies, as I just dont feel right adulterating the Currently Spinning thread with movies.

And having just watched a modern classic what better time than to start now?

Tonight's viewing was the Final Director's Cut of Blade Runner. A dark tale of a future world, where replicants are so real they learn emotions, and good old Harry Ford has the job of taking out the dodgy ones.

Ive seen it before and been non-plussed, but now we have the PJ setup again the movie makes a whole lot more sense, especially when the viewing screen is 3m across.

Darryl Hannah's best role I reckon, especially the writhing dying bit.:D

Also of note was Wiliam Sanderson as JF Sebastion, playing a character he later came to perfect as EB Farnum in Deadwood.

[ATTACH]2863[/ATTACH]

I bought 'Dusk till Dawn' yesterday and only watched the 'extras' last night.

Can't wait to watch this great weird movie again; and OH Salma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

Now it's "Oh, Salma...!!!" I recall someone trying to throw my girl on the scrapheap on Friday for some young Italian slapper.....;) Hmppph...I say...hmphhhh :rolleyes:

SALMAHAYEK.jpg

cheers

2sheds

I just watched The Mist which is based on a Steven King novel. I thought it was very good. The movie has plenty of tension and kept me interested.

By the way thanks for sparking up a boring Monday morning 2sheds ;)

Dr X,

The Mist was pretty much canned on it's release but I thought, although it is a pretty flawed movie, it was worth the price of admission and has an ending of great power...

On the same night I watched 30 days of Night. based on a Graphic Novel (what isn't these days?) it's a ripper variation on the vampire theme. very exciting and creepy and very, very violent. Loved it.

Movie highlight for the month has to be Into the Wild. Sean Penn has matured into a stunning filmmaker and this film, based on a true story, is further evidence of his huge talent. This is a very thoughful, moving and beautifully written and acted film. See it NOW!

Cheers

M

I just watched The Mist which is based on a Steven King novel. I thought it was very good. The movie has plenty of tension and kept me interested.

By the way thanks for sparking up a boring Monday morning 2sheds ;)

Last night watched Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" on HD

Enjoyed it a lot, again.

My teenage boys were so-so about it.

I saw it at the movies when it first came out 21 years ago.

No real ending. A bit like the Vietnam war...

Now I want to catch up with Platoon again.

Anyone got Platoon on HD-DVD?

MrHP

Hi Mr HP

I don't have it in HD, but I've enclosed a few of my analog shots from 1968 for comparison.;):D

Cheers

Mick

Wow! You even had XXXX in the jungle!

Glad to see you made it out Mick.

You were there Mick?

Hi

yes. Sorry for going OT, but here's one of me just back with my newly acquired Aiwa Reel to Reel. (30 wpc Vs 4 from Akai, and with a phono stage for the Pioneer turntable) after RnR leave in Hong Kong, playing my mates the latest from the Doors and the Electric Flag...

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Just watched Poseidon. Typical Hollywood schmaltzy action crap. But it kept us entertained for an hour or so picking out the flaws in their ship stuff. :rolleyes:

[ATTACH]2896[/ATTACH]

Tonight's viewing.

Mulholland Drive

I didnt get it the first time, and I certainly didnt get it the 2nd. But it wasn't a total loss, the gorgeous Naomi Watts gets a lot of screen time, and she beats Salma any day of the week. :)

[ATTACH]2945[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

Hello all,

Sorry to inform Platoon is not available on either HD format. :)

Unclemack, yes Into the Wild was a simply beautiful and captivating film. I spoke briefly about it a while back in another thread, although i would have imagined no one took notice at the time. see here. Also did a review for it linked within my sig that directs to my blog.

As for what i have seen recently....well this week on TV i watched the Fox Classics 'Larger than Life' week of movies, with such great movies as Ghandi, Schindler's List, To Kill a Mockingbird (last night's one MacArthur i most certainly could not sit through..zzzz).

Prior to that, on HD formats i watched...Letters from Iwo Jima, Ratatouille, Pixar Short Films, Cars, Ronin, Dog Day Afternoon, We Were Soldiers and a couple other ones. Plenty of others to come, with about 100 so HD films to get through.

G'day Mick

I wan't able to view any of your pics

Is it my end?

hi Mr HP

I guess it must be your end, because I can open them and Jake & Nude seem to have also.

I wouldn't worry too much - they're not really HD quality :).

Platoon was a really good movie tho - nearly as close as it gets, along with one or two moments out of Apocalypse Now, although AN is more entertaining, at least until Marlon Brando comes into the picture.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

hi Mr HP

I guess it must be your end, because I can open them and Jake & Nude seem to have also.

I wouldn't worry too much - they're not really HD quality :).

Platoon was a really good movie tho - nearly as close as it gets, along with one or two moments out of Apocalypse Now, although AN is more entertaining, at least until Marlon Brando comes into the picture.

Cheers

Mick

Yeah Mick, I can see them. Love the reel to reel! Good to see you had the bug way back then mate. :)

Cheers,

Jake

Hey Mick, no wonder you soldier boys were passed out all the time; better to sleep than drink more of that crappy XXXX. Wouldn't be Crash Craddock or the Stones playing on that RtoR would it?

• Like 1

Hey Mick, no wonder you soldier boys were passed out all the time; better to sleep than drink more of that crappy XXXX. Wouldn't be Crash Craddock or the Stones playing on that RtoR would it?

Hi Grumpy

You back in control of your music again now? Grandkids are great, but so is listening to music!

They didn't even offer Coopers over there, but at $0.30 a can we didn't complain too much...

Na for some reason early rocknroll (except for Roy Orbison why him???) and Stones weren't all that big over there in '68. It was mostly American (Duh) - Doors, Dylan, Hendrix, Mothers, Taj Mahal and the psychedelic stuff - Turtles (or Phosphorescent Leech & Eddie), Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Big Brother w Janis, Electric Flag, Ultimate Spinach, Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield etc, Eric Burdon & the Animals in their LSD phase ( San Franciscan nights, Monterey) and of course lots of soul - James Brown, Joe Tex, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Temptations, Booker T et al.

Hey - now you've got me OT again, just when I was trying so hard - I'll try & report on a movie soonish...

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Hi

yes. Sorry for going OT, but here's one of me just back with my newly acquired Aiwa Reel to Reel. (30 wpc Vs 4 from Akai, and with a phono stage for the Pioneer turntable) after RnR leave in Hong Kong, playing my mates the latest from the Doors and the Electric Flag...

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

Great photos, I guess by looking at the photos of you we'd all recognise you walking down the street??

This is OT as well but what about some more photos posted somewhere in the Chill out room. I find this stuff fascinating. MY 80 year old neighbor was in Japan in 1946 with the AIF performing demolition work with the Bomb Disposal Unit. He took heaps of photos over there, put them into albums and wrote down what, where and when they were. Some great 1940's shots and comments from a young Aussie soldier. He's got some great stories including his eye witness accounts of the aftermath of both the bombed cities.

Jake > it's all about the blue box my friend.

and how mesmerizing is the club silencio scene??

if you really want to watch a movie that makes no sense, another david lynch classic - Lost Highway. my brain exploded trying to figure that one out

watched V for Vendetta the other night....mmmm, natalie portman