Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

Watched Deliver me from Evil tonight. It was one of the better horror movies I have seen this year.

Watched this last night, Eric Bana excellent in a quite creepy movie.

Also watched Edge of Tomorrow, Tom Cruise. Message to Tom, science fiction is not your bag mate. Even Doug Liman couldn't save this from being a turkey.

At loose ends now. Have watched all of Game of Thrones (I get it now), up to speed with my other current faves (Hell on Wheels, TWD), but not sure what to dip into next.

I tried Black Sails, but the Aussie actors are a turn off. Might have to have a go at that other pirate show, Crossbones.

Open for suggestions.

At loose ends now. Have watched all of Game of Thrones (I get it now), up to speed with my other current faves (Hell on Wheels, TWD), but not sure what to dip into next.

I tried Black Sails, but the Aussie actors are a turn off. Might have to have a go at that other pirate show, Crossbones.

Open for suggestions.

Jake

have you watched Banshee?     kick arse show with plenty of violence and t&a

post-145321-0-84836400-1413335747_thumb.

Dreadfully bad.

Incredibly pointless, stupid and probably the most pretentious movie I've ever seen.

Cheap FX, bad cast, terrible acting

:mellow:

Might watch Sharknado or something next.

At least it will be entertaining and not trying to be something it's not.

:lol:

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Ohhhhhhh that bit freaked me out sooo much. I want to watch annabelle now.

I wouldn't bother, I haven't seen The Conjuring but Annabelle was woeful!

Check out my quick whingepool review

Jake

have you watched Banshee?     kick arse show with plenty of violence and t&a

Great show, and with some quite spectacular t&a in Lili Simmons :love

• Like 1

Watched Transformers: Age Of Extinction.

Well I must say it was a remarkable feat of 3d animation and video composing. I'm a fan of mark wahlberg's acting so I dunno if I was biased but I really liked the film. It gave my bass shakers and subwoofer a great work out and while the story wasn't the greatest around it was quite enjoyable to watch. The sub-minimal marketing was all over the place though lol. Stanley Tucci was pretty funny through the film haha. Some bits cracked me up.

It was above what I was expecting which was good :) I love how they justified the relationship with the Romeo and Juliet Law, so they could entice the thought that the actress was under age and show her in provocative positions.

Is there anything you don't like aad_ht. I watched this at Waurn ponds Dolby Atmos and thought is was poop.  but I liked the first 3.

Michael Bay seems to like under age girls running around in not much. Wonder how old Megan Fox was in the first one.

Guest myrantz

post-108009-0-98558900-1413427410_thumb.

Took a while, but finally finished it all. Watched "The Wind Rises" last night (first one on the left), so it's spun rather than currently spinning.

Interesting that it's released in DTS HD-MA Mono! 

Who needs Atmos? :ninja:

Almost every Studio Ghibli movie seems to explore some dark side, and this one is probably as sad (if not more) than Grave Of The Fireflies (the only released Studio Ghibli BD that eludes me). The last scene is delivered really well...

Once I get the GOTF I'd re watch all the movies but in chronological order.

:lol:

Well, Thor was pretty rubbish.

This post from someone on IMDb sums it up rather well:

This was easily one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. It was such a load of nonsense and depressingly bad that I couldn't really concentrate and may have missed some things but I'll do a review still.

Admittedly I know nothing about the source material so I can only assume that Thor got his superpowers because he was bitten by a radioactive Norwegian, that the landscapes were borrowed from Star Wars and Anthony Hopkins agreed to do it because he is too old and senile now and the role was accepted by his 3-year-old grand-grand-grand son who was playing with his He-Man toy figures.

I did find it odd first of all that the Asgardians were supposedly an advanced race who can travel in space but they still dressed and behaved like they were Vikings.

The whole king and brothers scenario was like Shakespeare for toddlers, even The Lion King was million times more intelligent and handled it better.

Thor was an annoying, arrogant little brat so the audience doesn't care what happens to him; however it's also useless to wish someone kicks his butt because he is an invincible, unstoppable fighting machine who never loses a fight. Indeed, the movie has not one second of tension in any fight because Thor always wins easily and never gets a scratch. Is that how to create drama?

Like when they were fighting with the blue creatures from Avatar; was the audience supposed to feel some kind of suspense or fear when the main characters slaughtered them so easily that it looked like the blue monsters were made of paper and died instantly when you looked in their direction?

So Thor gets sent to Earth and spends his time looking for his screwdriver. Every hillbilly of the town also wants to have it, but for what purpose? I guess they thought that pulling it out of the stone would make them King of England. Then the FBI wants to have it too, okay, maybe they somehow knew it was Thor's Magic Screwdriver but it's not revealed to us.

It was a mystery to me how exactly Thor, Loki and the other things would be in a children's book and in legends that were hundreds of years old when our characters were young and alive now.

Meanwhile Thor's brother turned out to be the villain, but the problem was he didn't really have any "evil plan" or purpose... at the end he says he just wanted to be respected by his father or whatever but his father and mother said they loved him so what reason did he have to do anything? He didn't hurt the father or cast Thor out - he became king naturally - and he said he didn't even want to be king. A great villain. Down at Earth Thor gets angry and commands them to "stop" Loki although he isn't aware of any kind of evil plan that Loki might have. And there wasn't any.

This movie had the most contrived, forced, useless "romance" I have ever seen anywhere. When Thor and Natalie Portman kiss it's a huge facepalm moment - "where did that come from?". There was no setup for it whatsoever... it's like on the last day of shooting they realised that they didn't have a romantic subplot so they just decided to have Thor and Portman's character kiss and then long for each other although they had just met and had absolutely no chemistry at all.

Just before Thor goes back he tells the FBI guy he's now going to protect the Earth (from what - a nuclear war? Giant spiders? Ghostbusters?) if FBI gives Portman back her diary... okay. So the idea is that Thor is now a changed man. He spends ONE day on Earth in a little town in the middle of desert, which he spends searching for his tool; he knows nothing about Earth, doesn't really get to do anything or know anyone and yet all of a sudden he's a new, humble man and willing to protect the village from the Robocop that Loki for some reason sends down there? This is so stupid that my head hurts.

Thor goes back and he and Loki fight and dance on a rainbow even though neither of them has a reason to be mad at one another (Thor figures Loki is evil because he managed to teleport himself to Earth and said that the father was dead when he was in fact alive; while Loki on the other hand has no reasoning in anything he does). Of course we know that Thor wins easily as he is invincible, and then Loki commits suicide - again for no reason at all. All is well and Thor becomes the medieval king of the colourful Star Wars planet.

The whole thing is so ridiculous that it can only be treated as a comedy and any attempt at real drama is doomed to fail, but there weren't any funny moments that were actually meant to be that way (there was lots of unintentional comedy though) and facepalm situations were numerous (like the girl's "I will die a warrior's death! Stories will be told of this day!" Thor: "get out and tell those stories yourself").

What a pile of dumb, generic, pointless children's nonsense. Superhero movies can sometimes be very entertaining but this was the worst of the ones I've seen and I can't believe a serious filmmaker like Kenneth Branagh agreed to do this. Idris Elba would be better off actually selling drugs in Baltimore.

Bottom line: not for anyone over 5 years old. I'll give it 3/10 and that's being very generous.

I actually think that review was more entertaining than the movie itself...

^_^

Hi

Watched my favourite film again last night, for the unpteenth time, Blade Runner, on Blu Ray, have the previous Special Edition from abou 5-6 years ago, and this seems to be a pretty good transfer of the picture, the audio is again very good, and picked up little things that I may have missed in previous viewings....

blade-runner.jpg

JJ

• Like 6

Hi

Was sick of the ongoing dribble on TV last night so watched something from 1942, Random Harvest with Ronald Colman and Greer Garson, an interesting look at some post WW I soldiers with mental problems, particular Colman's character, "Smithy", who has amnesia, marries Garson's character, and several years into the marriage is in a car accident and regains his pre war memories but loses his post war memories and returns to run the family business.

It is an interesting insight into how treatment for PTSD was treated at that time and how Garson's character perseveres to get Colman's character to remember her.

Is a little 'mushy' at times but was better than what was available on FTA Tv last night....

Ronald_Colman_Random_Harvest_poster_5.jp

JJ

• Like 2

Ended up watching the recent remake of Carrie last night.

Quite liked it actually.

Chloe Moritz was adorable as Carrie and Julianne Moore is always best when she plays a troubled, miserable character.

The prom scene was well done and angry Carrie was fun to watch.

Only thing the skimped a bit on was the character development of the "bad girls".

But Chris had a good death :lol:

The actress was good too and I really hated her almost immediately and cheered quietly when she met her fate.

Could have done without the cliche twin girls though.

Reminded me too much of the twins from The Simpsons :mellow:

Now, it's been a looooong time since I saw the original, but for some reason I felt this was pretty much a scene for scene copy?

Will have to do a rewatch of the original and compare.

At the end of the day it's based on a book so I suppose that means it will be pretty similar.

:)

Wanted to give Prometheus a second visit. Absolutely loved it the first time. Although I do love the Alien series with a passion, I have no problems enjoying these even if not everything matches up. Would love to see Paradise which I believe is the sequel when it comes out?

• Like 1

Just stumbled across a new (edit: from 2011, so maybe not so new...) comedy on Foxtel Catch Up (Studio) called Dag, a Norwegian show about a marriage counsellor (called Dag...). Highly recommended - quite a few laugh-out-loud moments!

Edited by Hensa