ThirdDrawerDown

The Sunday night ambient now spinning thread

On 7/2/2017 at 9:59 PM, ABG said:

This guy is prolific!  119 releases!  By the time you're reading this there will undoubtedly be more. 

Another one released today:

a2447149963_16.jpg

Wings Of An Angel - Infinite Psychedelic Imagination

--Geoff

Another new release from Wings Of An Angel, spinning it now:

a0685975811_16.jpg

Wings Of An Angel - Idealize The Solitary Lifestyle -- a bit more avante-garde, at least the first track. "Name Your Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

1. You Have Changed For The Worse, Watered Your Dreams Down, You Have Betrayed The Solitary Lifestyle Which Was Given To Us By Destiny 16:45

2. Endless Visions Of Cosmic Funeral Grounds, As Fathomless Rivers Of Withered Dreams, Nurture The Spirit Of Dark Genius, Beyond The Reach Of Years 21:00

3. It's Not Inconceivable That In One Of These Abandoned Urban Buildings, Facing The Sill Which Opens Only In The Most Remote Reserves Of The Night, Sits A Brokenhearted Poet, Staring At The Sadly Blurred Eyes Of The Vast Crowd Passing Nonchalantly In The Streets Of The City, Ignoring His Existence 24:46

4. Amidst This Involuntary Desert We Call Our Home Planet, There Was, For A Tiny Moment, A Young Lady Which Sang Like An Angel In A Landscape Of Strange Light, And Her Unfamiliar Beauty, Delicate And Pure Like Honey, Soothed The Emotional Desolation In My Heart 16:35

5. An Infinite Loop May Fade Unto Naught, But Dead End Roads Never End... Black Cats Pray As They Walk On The Track, Towards Remarkable Nothingness 38:04

--Geoff

a0251846105_16.jpg

Nightwind - The Sound Of Silence -- so the artist name sounds like a flatulent condition (which is probably why it got changed to NightSkies later) but this release is all processed guitar and sounds not unlike some Frippertronics. "Name Yer Price" download at Bandcamp.

--Geoff 

a2758888703_16.jpg

Wings Of An Angel - I Am A Heaven And A Controversial Authority On One World (Euphoric Ambient Anthology) -- a recent anthology from the prolific artist Wings Of An Angel, this is a generous 21 track collection of "ethereal and euphoric ambient hits", ranging in style from processed piano to drone. Some lovely pieces on here. A "Name Your Price" download on Bandcamp.

--Geoff

So I am one night behind ... but it is ambient:

a2458996914_16.jpg

a0598915443_16.jpg

Off Land - (Drone Variations) Volume 1 & (Drone Variations) Vol. 2 -- a new artist to me, worth checking out some more. These are reworkings of tracks from previous albums. "Name Yer Price" lossless downloads from Bandcamp. 

--Geoff 

Geoff, Off Land gets bonus points for the band name alone.

(I continue to follow your recommendations with interest.)

8 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Geoff, Off Land gets bonus points for the band name alone.

(I continue to follow your recommendations with interest.)

A reference to On Land, I assume.

Here's one I discovered just now:

a3489062480_16.jpg

Jamie McMenamy - Cloud Guitar -- described as "Solo electric/synthesized guitar". As usual, a "Name Your Price" lossless download from Bandcamp. Plenty of other albums available from this bloke that are worth checking out.

1.   Cloud Guitar 9 in E Mixolydian 11:22

2.   Cloud Guitar 9 in G Major 07:49

3.   Cloud Guitar 9 in B Dorian 09:49

4.   Cloud Guitar 9 in D Minor 18:01

5.   Cloud Guitar 2 in E 24:12

6.   Cloud 6 in G Major 12:56

7.   Ambient 7 in B Minor 20:12

8.   Ambient 7 in E Minor 14:27

9.   Cloud 3 in F minor 11:47

10. Cloud 1 in A Lydian 15:29

--Geoff

a3955599540_16.jpg

Jamie McMenamy - Lap Steel - Live 5.28.2017 -- spinning another album from this bloke, this time it's a live recording, essentially a drone with processed lap steel guitar over the top. Not the sparse sound that some may expect (like the Paris Texas soundtrack) but pretty good all the same. "Name Yer Price" lossless download at Bandcamp.

--Geoff 

Definitely need to check out the rest of that series, that album is pretty damn good.

I really only know him from a few remix songs, probably should also check out his other work.

Plotkin originates from the weirdo late eighties/nineties grind band OLD Old Lady Drivers. He's done a lot of other stuff, notably the drone/hardcore supergroup Khanate with O'Malley of Sunn o))). He mostly does mastering for vinyl cuts nowadays. Plotkins solo output is really interesting, mostly guitar and computer drone and ambient, a fair bit of it is harsh sounding but always a compelling listen.