The Sunday night ambient now spinning thread

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally chuffed to land a copy.   Brian Eno - Music For Installations (9LP)  

joining in.  Cocteau Twins ‎– Milk & Kisses. last studio album and a ripper - original 1996 UK pressing  

Arvo Pärt - Alina -- the obvious pre-cursor of the A Winged Victory For The Sullen album above (I reckon they are even paying homage to the album cover). Only two pieces, but with a variety of arrange

Not sure if this would be ambient or not, but I am enjoying the "Assassin's Creed " soundtrack CD which my daughter gave me when she bought the De Luxe edition of that game  ( she kept the game but doesn't spin music discs at all ) so we are both happy, albeit unexpectedly for me.

It is hugely atmospheric and gives one's woofers an Italian tune up.

Apologies for no photos,it just came in a cardboard sleeve with only the game logo and track listing on the cover

Not spinning as such but just back from the basement after seeing A Winged Victory For The Sullen. Great gig, wonder what it would sound like in the City Recital Hall. 2 other SNAers there in @@dwbasement and @@guru

I think it would be another level of experience if it's in the recital hall.

Great nite of music it was!

Not spinning as such but just back from the basement after seeing A Winged Victory For The Sullen. Great gig, wonder what it would sound like in the City Recital Hall. 2 other SNAers there in @@dwbasement and @@guru

I saw AWVFTS on Saturday night, amazing show - but I was listening to this last night, also good -

• Like 2

Bing & Ruth: Tomorrow Was The Golden Age

CD

'Tomorrow Was the Golden Age' is an unmistakably gorgeous and refreshing suite of microtonal minimalist composition by New York-based ensemble, Bing & Ruth. Helmed by writer, conductor and lead pianist, David Moore, and supported by two upright bassists, two clarinetists, a cellist and a tape delay tech, Bing & Ruth genuinely sweep us off somewhere sublime without recourse to overblown conceit or cliche - something all too prevalent and cloying in today's neo-classical quarters. Their skill lies in the ability to drift, almost imperceptibly, between microtonal harmonies and silent/grand dynamics with patent subtlety, segueing gradient fields of colour with a grand, yet never imposing, effect. In that sense 'Tomorrow Was the Golden Age' surely recalls your Glass's and Reich's, but also the time-smudging transcendence of Morten Feldman, Brian Eno or Stars Of The Lid, and, in parts, a louder Jakob Ullmann for their keen attention to contemplative quietude and involving, delicate depth of field. The timing of release could hardly be any better, too, with a sound that beautifully mirrors the transition of the seasons, ripe for long headphone mooches and gazing out of the window alike. Warmest recommendations.

a3675942042_2.jpg

Do have a listen to local guys Peter Knight and Dung Nguyen's Residual and remix album Re-Residual.

These guys were part of Way Out West  (more jazz influenced)

http://www.jazzhead....y-out-west.phps

here they enter much more electronica territory

Residual

http://www.parenthes...uyen_-_residual

Re-Residual (remix album available as a free FLAC download)

In 2010, Parenthèses Records released Peter Knight & Dung Nguyen’s duo collaboration RESIDUAL seeing the pair developing unique approaches to combining Vietnamese and Western music elements in a contemporary setting.

At the start of 2014, Alexis Courtin from PR and Peter Knight discussed their shared desire to give the album a second life and thus asked a carefully chosen list of musicians from France and Australia to present their personal perspectives on Residual. The result is this amazing album that comes as a FREE download, blurring the boundaries between abstract ambient, repetitive experimental music and groove-based textures. - See more at: http://www.parenthesesrecords.be/catalog/various_artists_-_re:_residual/#sthash.fGYF0JWl.dpuf
In 2010, Parenthèses Records released Peter Knight & Dung Nguyen’s duo collaboration RESIDUAL seeing the pair developing unique approaches to combining Vietnamese and Western music elements in a contemporary setting.

At the start of 2014, Alexis Courtin from PR and Peter Knight discussed their shared desire to give the album a second life and thus asked a carefully chosen list of musicians from France and Australia to present their personal perspectives on Residual. The result is this amazing album that comes as a FREE download, blurring the boundaries between abstract ambient, repetitive experimental music and groove-based textures. - See more at: http://www.parenthes...h.fGYF0JWl.dpuf

An elegy of nicely-produced out-takes.

Of interest to the sort of person who hunted down the unofficial Floyd remixes, otherwise it's a peripherally interesting taster or teaser for various parts of their back catalogue.

MI0003811572.jpg

Edited to say: it's a grower.  4 stars, not the 3 stars of my first impression. Very pleasant.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 1

Alchemy - dire straits,

Florence & the machine - lungs,

Alison krauss & more, i think I'm gonna keep looking through and listening to things I haven't heard for a while till I fall asleep in my chair

Alchemy - dire straits,

Alison krauss & more, i think I'm gonna keep looking through and listening to things I haven't heard for a while till I fall asleep in my chair

Ambient ??

Alchemy - dire straits,

Ambient ??

Yep :)

Kicking back listening to Brian Eno's Music For Films - one of the great haul of CD's I acquired thanks to Hired Goon's generosity.  Thanks once again Geoff.  Still working my way through a rather large pile of CD's and I haven't forgotten what I said re duplicates (and those CD's I'm not interested in).  It's just going to take me a while to digest them all, but I'll get there eventually.  Nobody else is getting their hands on Music For Films however...perfect Sunday night album.

• Like 1
Music For Films

Wonderful! Various pivotal Eno re-releases are due for re-release tomorrow.  Meantime tonight in the third drawer down we have let someone else choose the music:

Internet radio: Soma FM Drone Zone

Now playing:   Juta Takahashi - Quiet Rain

subdued synth washes and treated piano at glacial pace, lovely!

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the latest album by Asura 'Radio Universe' on Ultimae - one of my favourite labels for many years for downbeat, space and techno.

Also Dr Atmo - 'Quiet Life'.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Last night was Exploding Star Orchestra - Stars Have Shapes. Ostensibly a jazz release, but to my ears it is largely droning/ambient in tone.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted on this thread, even though most Sunday nights are filled with ambient tracks. More often than not, I'm just too busy to post what I'm listening to.  Anyway, tonight I'm listening to Harold Budd and Brian Eno - The Pearl.

Budd_%26_Eno_-_The_Pearl.jpg

Bliss

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey peeps love my ambient soundscape's although I like some drums mixed in (albeit mellow) anyone good any good suggestions on some ambient artists that use drums also?

Hey peeps love my ambient soundscape's although I like some drums mixed in (albeit mellow) anyone good any good suggestions on some ambient artists that use drums also?

Have you tried bandcamp.com? Plenty of choices to pick from and you can stream the music before you buy.

Have you tried bandcamp.com? Plenty of choices to pick from and you can stream the music before you buy.

Hey mate yeh I've got band camp app installed actually just never really browsed it looking for ambiet/drum tunes

• Like 1

Nest - body pilot, arrived couple of days ago with Brambles - Charcoal which I have wait for over four months to get it delivered because of their pressing issues... That's up next after this one.7e22649fd2162e8c769956c15acb32a8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice on the vinyl, I already have the digital copy when I ordered this but the vinyl is worth waiting for sure. Love it.c8d42fb1b47523b4cf9c17d000f73c0b.jpg

• Like 3

cover_1744910112010.jpeg

Brian Eno - Neroli (CD)

I like that Andrew, do you have the 2cd set? I want to buy this and wondering if I should buy the 2cd reissue...

• 2 weeks later...